Buying my first big screen flat panel TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-15-2010, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, so I'm about to buy my first big screen flat panel TV. In the past I've always had DLP so now I have to make a decision on "LCD or Plasma". I am looking for a 54" - 58" TV to hang on the wall and I'd like to stay under $1800.

My new house has a weird living room loft-style layout with a 20 foot ceiling. The wall behind my couch is north facing and has 4 big windows but they will have blinds covering them. It might be hard to control all the light because the layout is very open with a dining room/kitchen right off the living room.

So my main question is have plasma TV's caught up a bit and do they work OK in brighter areas? The last time I kept up on plasma TVs was about 7 years ago and now I only see them in showroom floors where it's always dim.

On my short list I have (1) LED/LCD TV and (2) plasmas. I would love your feedback as to which one to get (or something else).

55" Samsung UN55C6300 LED/LCD - $1650
58" Samsung PN58C6500 Plasma - $1650
54" Panasonic TC-P54G25 Plasma - $1400

I like that plasmas display darker blacks and have a wider viewing angle. However, with my bright room I'm not sure if I would be better off getting an LCD.

Here is an image of the living room:

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-24-2010, 05:41 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy480 View Post

My new house has a weird living room loft-style layout with a 20 foot ceiling. The wall behind my couch is north facing and has 4 big windows but they will have blinds covering them. It might be hard to control all the light because the layout is very open with a dining room/kitchen right off the living room.

So my main question is have plasma TV's caught up a bit and do they work OK in brighter areas? The last time I kept up on plasma TVs was about 7 years ago and now I only see them in showroom floors where it's always dim.

On my short list I have (1) LED/LCD TV and (2) plasmas. I would love your feedback as to which one to get (or something else).

I like that plasmas display darker blacks and have a wider viewing angle. However, with my bright room I'm not sure if I would be better off getting an LCD.

Plasma TVs have come a lonnnng way in the past 7 years! The 2009 and 2010 models are about as bright as the LCD and LED/LCD TVs so they can punch through a lot of ambient light just like an LCD.

And the Anti-Reflective coatings are very good now. LCD and LED/LCD screens on the other hand have actually gotten more reflective in order to add depth so most of them are actually more reflective than the Panny and Sammy plasmas. Go to some stores and look at how the various screens reflect the bright overhead store lighting, and other stuff like shelves or racks that are behind you.

Do you have any other angles of where you'd be placing/mounting the TV?

Here's another thread that may help:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1283985

Also, since you're considering the 54G25, Costco online is selling the 54G20 which is the same TV but without the mostly useless net camera connectivity. The price is good, and they add one year to the factory warranty and have that 90 day return policy.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page