Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 49 Old 12-25-2010, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post

Just because there is no flashlighting now doesn't mean it won't appear later as the panel ages.

I bought my panel a couple of years ago and it had completely even back lighting. Now, it's starting to develop some flashlighting as it gets older. It's completely tolerable, but it is there.

How could you have 'bought your panel a couple of years ago' when LED panels didn't hit the market until the second quarter of 2009? That's odd isn't it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 12-26-2010, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbyrne View Post

How could you have 'bought your panel a couple of years ago' when LED panels didn't hit the market until the second quarter of 2009? That's odd isn't it?

Oh, I should've mentioned mine is CCFL, not LED. But my point is that just because it doesn't have flashlights and/or clouds out of the box doesn't mean it won't develop them later. That has happened in my case. They are still quite minor at this point, but still visible enough now that I notice them regularly.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #33 of 49 Old 12-30-2010, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Is that tidbit of information from PC World?

Samsung released the LN-T4081F backlit-LED in 2007.
Sony's XBR8 was out in Summer 2008, as was the Samsung 950-series, both backlit-LED sets.
post #34 of 49 Old 12-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Places that do the best PQ testing are:

http://www.hometheater.com/

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/

http://www.cnet.com/

They hire the top ISF Certified calibrators to test the tv's like Kevin Miller and Jim Doolittle who are the founding members of ISF.
post #35 of 49 Old 12-30-2010, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
"PC World! PC World! PC World!"
post #36 of 49 Old 12-31-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Actually if you can remember, it was a 60" Samsung LED. UN60C6300 to be exact! I love it. Inky blacks, no ghosting or flashlighting with the new panel. The Samsung LED's received high lab testing ratings in the December issue of PC World. Nice & thin too.
Weird coincidence... My next door neighbor, who also happens to be a highschool friend of over 30 years bought the EXACT same set. I helped him unbox, setup, and 'calibrate' it on a Saturday, as it was his turn to host our monthly all day Sunday football 'party.' We're in no way experts on the matter as we spend most of our time with audio, but the TV seemed pretty darn good that Saturday when the 2 of us were messing with it. Come Sunday when the rest of the guys were there, anyone not in the 'sweet spot' couldn't see a darn thing. Maybe our middle-aged eyes are just getting old, dunno, but these LED/LCDs just don't agree with football and OUR eyes. My friend commented on how they were similar to Klipsch speakers, razor sharp and precise, but only if you're lucky enough to be in the 'sweet spot,' otherwise you're SOOL. Needless to say, I'm back at his place Monday to box the thing back up and return it. He ended up with the Samsung pn58c8000, now we can ALL enjoy football at his place again
post #37 of 49 Old 01-02-2011, 09:41 AM

Liked: 13
"The knighted kuro!" "The knighted kuro!" "The knighted kuro!"
post #38 of 49 Old 01-02-2011, 09:54 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:

The Kuro wasn't knighted, it was the King! The King is Dead! Long Live the King!!

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #39 of 49 Old 01-02-2011, 10:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 18
It looks like the OP hasn't checked back in since he opened the thread, but I'll chime in with my $0.02 since quite a few people have given their personal opinions about displays which the OP isn't considering.

At your price range, the plasma will probably give you a significantly better picture (blacks, uniformity, viewing angle, size) than the LCD. As someone already mentioned, Philips isn't considered a "top tier" manufacturer so you're not going to be getting the PQ (or overall product quality) that some others have been describing on their LCDs here. Plus, since you're primarily going to be watching Blu-ray, you'll lose a lot of the benefits of a 1080p source/display with a 32" screen vs a 46" screen. A 46" screen will not be too large, even in a small room, unless you're going to be viewing it from inside of about 2'-3'.

Good luck in making your decision.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

post #40 of 49 Old 01-02-2011, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Quote:

The proof is in the pudding (the professional reviews, the pros, the shootouts, the video performance parameters). I know that must be painful to hear.
post #41 of 49 Old 01-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

The Kuro wasn't knighted, it was the King! The King is Dead! Long Live the King!!

As long as we're off topic......the King is only dead if you don't have one. If you do have one it kicks ass.

The 101 is soooo very nice!!!
post #42 of 49 Old 01-04-2011, 02:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Is there even any debate? Regardless of which tech one prefers, if you're looking for a TV, 46" trumps 32" everytime... especially since the OP plans to use it primarily for watching blu rays.
post #43 of 49 Old 01-08-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I take the reviews of some sites as more of a joke. Blacks measured with a total black screen are only one parameter. Many of the Local Dimming LEDs have unreal blacks in this test. Put on a picture like a star field, and those blacks aren't so inky anymore. Home Theater Magazine at least tells you if those blacks hold up in real world viewing scenarios.

I am a huge fan of plasma as I feel they have the best overall PQ. You can spend far less on a plasma and get very good PQ. If you want to spend a small fortune on an LED, go for it. I would rather spend less and get PQ that compares well against those high end LEDs. LCD tech has come a long way the last few years. It still isn't that great with off angle viewing and motion. These are two things I think are very important in the buying decision.

The size difference between the models the OP listed is HUGE! For most people a 42" is the minimum size for usual seating distance. I don't think he listed his seating distance which would really help. Either way the OP goes I am sure he will be happy as tech has come a long way the past few years.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #44 of 49 Old 01-08-2011, 05:20 PM

Liked: 16
Personally, i went LED based LCD because the price i got it for was right and the blacks are pretty damn good with very little energy usage. One of the biggest factors for me that nobody talks about is the heat. CCFL LCDs and Plasmas make too much heat when combined with an amp, receiver, ps3, powered sub, and cable modem/router. In a small room, it gets uncomfortable. Nice when it's 40 degrees outside, but in socal that is not usually the case.
post #45 of 49 Old 01-08-2011, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

I take the reviews of some sites as more of a joke. Blacks measured with a total black screen are only one parameter. Many of the Local Dimming LEDs have unreal blacks in this test. Put on a picture like a star field, and those blacks aren't so inky anymore. Home Theater Magazine at least tells you if those blacks hold up in real world viewing scenarios.

It is best provide both ANSI and Dynamic Range with black and white level values. So we know how much the TVs dims the image.
post #46 of 49 Old 01-08-2011, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuup1dmofo View Post

Personally, i went LED based LCD because the price i got it for was right and the blacks are pretty damn good with very little energy usage. One of the biggest factors for me that nobody talks about is the heat. CCFL LCDs and Plasmas make too much heat when combined with an amp, receiver, ps3, powered sub, and cable modem/router. In a small room, it gets uncomfortable. Nice when it's 40 degrees outside, but in socal that is not usually the case.

But they double as heater during winter
post #47 of 49 Old 01-09-2011, 04:19 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielo TM View Post

But they double as heater during winter

Perhaps if i didn't live in southern california, that would be a plus.
post #48 of 49 Old 01-10-2011, 01:05 PM

I went full array local dimming LED-LCD because to get a plasma >=55" that doesn't look grainy, or buzz, I would have to spend more than $2k. The XVT3D554SV, and others, kill the plasmas in its price and size category. Kill. Plasmas seem cheaper, until you realize the cheap ones are cheap because they suck.

LED-LCD - It's quiet as a mouse, sharp, and has really nice contrast. Oh yeah, and I don't have to alternate the freaking pixels on the screen to prevent burn-in.

Did I mention it doesn't buzz?

The best thing to do is check them out yourself, side-by-side. Everyone says not to look at them in a bright store, but they only say that because of contrast - and plasmas need a darker room. Fine. Find a store with a darker room.

edit: after reviewing the actual question in the 1st post (and not just the thread title), you may be able to do okay going cheap plasma. small screen college student budget may change things - greatly. Not sure how small screen prices are doing...
post #49 of 49 Old 01-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

The Samsung C8000 series have the best PQ in the market right now combined with the nicest design.

Don't buy a old Panasonic plasma, it's old tech.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page