Ex-Kuro Owner Not Happy With C7000? What to switch to? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-10-2011, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I recently picked up a Sammy un55c7000, because blacks are supposed to look good in a bright room, decent contrast etc. However I'm finding that shadow detail and blacks are lacking at night. In general, and I realize this is obvious, I'm finding a huge drop in contrast/pop from the Kuro I used to have.

Any suggestions on what to switch to?

I'm thinking Panasonic st30 or Samsung d8000, but would they suck (wash out) in the day? I'm also concerned about blacks, overall contrast and ir.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-10-2011, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
What happened to your Kuro?
post #3 of 5 Old 04-10-2011, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As an ex Kuro owner (you, not me), I would think you may only be marginally happy with even a Panny VT30. Never had the pleasure of watching a kuro, but seeing pictures, Im glad I havent. Seems nothing will compare equally and I cannot and will not pay that kind of money for a tv.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

If I were buying a LED based LCD from 2010 it would of been the LG LX9500 or the LE8500. Personally I would of only wanted the LE8500 as I have no interest in 3D and it is the same as the LX9500 only without 3D. Not only that but the 3D tested on the LX9500 was poor against pretty much all other 3D sets out there. No use paying extra money. With that being said the prices here a little bit ago actually had the 55 inch LX9500 cheaper than the 8500 so you might as well get the 9500 in that case.

You purchased an edge lit LED based LCD which in my own opinion is a step back from a good CCFL LCD. If you can't go full array with local dimming then I wouldn't go LED at all. The only thing you gain is a slimmer profile and less energy consumption. The sad thing is the majority of "LED" tvs out there are edge lit. Samsung didn't make any full array with local dimming in 2010 and Sony had 1 in 2010 after they had skipped 2009 with 0. The choices are few and far in between.

Plenty of Plasmas perform very well in the day. I have a Kuro PRO151FD that sit about 6 feet away from a large bay window and it isn't an issue. I have friends with various Panasonic models I have viewed in bright rooms and they did well. I recently viewing my friends VT25 in his sun room and it did better than I even expected.

It is all about your comfort level though, but I can tell you if you can find a price you are comfortable with on an LG LX9500 or LE8500 it was pretty much hands down the best LCD last year and for an LCD it had excellent blacks and excellent shadow detail.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-10-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Hi,

Hate to break it to you but there is not much out there that will match or better your Kuro for your viewing preferences. I am a Plasma person but I do not think even the upcoming Panny VT30 is match your Kuro even though it might be the closest from the Plasma camp.

You will not probably like this but it seems LCD might offer you the best option & might even match or better your Kuro if the hype turns out to be true. I am talking specifically about the Toshiba CEVO sets which have massive multi core processing & most full array backlit Fine Local Dimming LED zones/LED numbers - the top end 55ZL1 with 512 Zones & 3072 LED's, the next model down: Hybrid Edge Lit LED UL-610 with 32 Zones. Both available up to 65".

LG might also be a strong contender if they bring their LEX-8 Nano Sets to the USA & or whichever Top "Nano" backlit set they introduce. Just food for thought!

Bazzy!
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page