New Flat Panel Furniture Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 04-10-2011, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have to say I was a big fan of the old furniture thread. I personally went through it MANY times trying to decided what I wanted. Hopefully others will add to this thread and we can make this another good resource for others.

Below is a picture of what I finally ended up getting, the Salamander Madrid 7022/E in Espresso. First one came in damaged by Fedex and refused delivery. Second one came flawless. Very well crafted, and enough room for my small amount of equipment as well as my PN63C8000 set. Does get hot with my PS3 running so I put in a small USB powered fan which exhausts the hot air through the cable management hole. Works great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-10-2011, 01:35 PM

Liked: 13
Mine was custom made to my specs for about $500. It has slide-out side drawers that hold DVD/Blu-ray discs. I did not install the front glass doors for better air circulation for the electronic equipment. (After the pics were taken I cleaned up all the cabling.)

Attachment 208562
LL
LL
post #3 of 24 Old 04-17-2011, 04:18 AM

Liked: 10
What happened to the old thread? I don't seem to be able to find it, even in the archives. This is where Google thinks it is:

http://ww.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=416358

Paul Jones
post #4 of 24 Old 04-17-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanimala View Post

I have to say I was a big fan of the old furniture thread. I personally went through it MANY times trying to decided what I wanted. Hopefully others will add to this thread and we can make this another good resource for others.

Below is a picture of what I finally ended up getting, the Salamander Madrid 7022/E in Espresso. First one came in damaged by Fedex and refused delivery. Second one came flawless. Very well crafted, and enough room for my small amount of equipment as well as my PN63C8000 set. Does get hot with my PS3 running so I put in a small USB powered fan which exhausts the hot air through the cable management hole. Works great.

Nice one! Where did you buy it?
I considered getting it before, but the price was a bit on the steep side. Now they're being sold at a nice discount.
post #5 of 24 Old 04-24-2011, 06:10 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the OmniMount "Link" series. I like the modular form of it but no one in my area has any on display. I'm picky about the quality of furniture.
post #6 of 24 Old 05-29-2011, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 248
What happened to the old thread? I was looking for it.

home theater addict
post #7 of 24 Old 05-31-2011, 10:09 AM

Liked: 11
Anyone have any good recommendations for a plain old A/V equipment rack/tower?

My 55" flat-panel is over the fireplace, with center speaker mounted just below the mantle overhang (and my L/R speakers are free-standing towers.

So my equipment rack just needs to hold the electronics, plus a turntable.

My desired attributes are:

- probably 4 shelves, although I could get by with three. Bottom shelf for receiver, one shelf for both the BD player and cable box. Plus a shelf with reasonable clearance above it for my turntable (which is receiver-width and depth). I might just put the turntable on top of the unit, if it is enclosed otherwise.

- I don't want a totally "open" shelf design, even if there is a central channel for hiding cables. So I am looking at more enclosed designs, but ones with good rear cable access (relatively large slots for cable pass-through, rather than just a single hole, at least for the receiver's shelf). The front side can be open, although glass doors would be nice for at least part of the front. What is hard to tell from some of the online descriptions is how easy/hard the rear access really is....

- Some modest additional storage would be good, but I want the overall width to be basically just the width of a receiver. So an overall width around 22-24 inches is good, with sufficient depth for a typical large receiver, etc. Height in the 3-4 feet range. But taller and narrow is definitely better than wide.

These models are kind of what I have in mind - anyone have any experience with these, or with the brands?

http://www.cymax.com/NoBot/Tech-Craf...nd-SWH4024.htm

http://www.cymax.com/NoBot/Bush-AD05...io-Cabinet.htm

http://www.cymax.com/NoBot/Bush-AD05...io-Cabinet.htm (This one is more open, but at least much of the back is covered.)

http://www.cymax.com/NoBot/Sanus-WFA...f-AV-Tower.htm
post #8 of 24 Old 07-10-2011, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Apparently the old thread was deleted, something to do with a commercial post. Shame really, was looking for some info that had been posted there, wish it had been archived or just cleaned up instead.

Paul Jones
post #9 of 24 Old 07-10-2011, 04:01 AM

OK, since there is this thread, I guess I'll ask the question here. I am looking for a stand for a Sharp 70" LCD HDTV, with the following attributes:
  • 70-78" wide
  • Contemporary in Design
  • Preferably Open
  • Preferably Glass Shelves
  • At least one of the shelves must support 9" high components
  • Center speaker opening of at least 24.5"

The closest I've come to finding what I'm after is jonalexander.com:

http://www.jonalexander.com/d_6024.html

But I called them, and the widest they'll go is 65". I'm hoping for something a bit wider.

I don't particularly care about the support structure, but I think I need to go open as the AVR I have runs very hot, as does the PS3, so if I were to put those in a closed structure, it would have to have fans, and I'd prefer at least to not have the noise. I do listen to classical music at times, and it can be annoying (not the classical music, the fan noise ).

Paul Jones
post #10 of 24 Old 07-11-2011, 02:29 PM

This is what I ended up getting, for just my AV equipment (TV is on the wall).

http://www.sanus.com/us/en/products/...av-steel/SFA29

At present I have the receiver on the bottom shelf, the cable box and blu-ray on the next one up, and a turntable on the one above that, with the top holding a basket for extra remotes (I normally use a Logitech Harmony for everything), and my collection of passive 3D glasses.

The turntable access is a little un-ideal, with a shelf above the turntable. If I ever replace my old Dual turntable (ca 1977) with a sleeker-looking table, I'll probably put it on the very top, and move the remote basket to one shelf down.

The smoked glass shelves look very nice, and don't show smudges much. I was a bit leery of the open design, and having exposed cables, but the perforated-metal panel at the back does a good job of hiding things, and since there is a cable management slot running from top to bottom, there is a lot of room for cable routing.

Sanus stuff is not the cheapest, but it is well-built and fairly-priced.
post #11 of 24 Old 07-16-2011, 01:03 PM

I finished building this recently. It has curly cherry plywood for the top, sides and dividers and solid figured maple for the door frames. The shelves are 1/4" glass (6.5" below and 10" above), which accommodates all of my gear nicely. The dimensions are 60" x 19" x 19"; the back is open for ventilation; (the TV is on the wall). I got a lot of ideas from reading the old furniture thread here, so I thought I would give something back by posting the result here.

post #12 of 24 Old 07-16-2011, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Beautiful Doug. Very classy. Are you an amateur or pro cabinet maker?
post #13 of 24 Old 07-16-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

Beautiful Doug. Very classy. Are you an amateur or pro cabinet maker?

Amateur.
post #14 of 24 Old 07-16-2011, 03:58 PM

Very nice cabinet Doug, you did a great job on it.

Larry
post #15 of 24 Old 07-16-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiefan View Post
Very nice cabinet Doug, you did a great job on it.
I'm happy with the way it came out. It took quite a while to make (especially for the finish), but it was a fun project. I picked up a few new tools along the way - like a router table attachment for my table saw and an orbital sander.

You can see some of my other audio related DIY projects here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post19146564

and here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post20620883
post #16 of 24 Old 07-16-2011, 10:31 PM

I spent months searching for a stand, a few years ago. Outside of a custom built unit, I couldn't find any I liked more than those by Standout Designs. Solid hardwood. Made in the US. I ended up with the corner piece in espresso. Probably my favorite furniture piece of my entire house.

http://www.standoutdesigns.com/
post #17 of 24 Old 07-17-2011, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The wife was determined to adhere to our existing Early American decorating scheme, and we chose Ethan Allen as a supplier.

The "Chester" video base (#13-9645) has four adjustable shelves, allowing up to six pieces of gear, considering the bottom surfaces. The finish is distressed pine, called "Vintage Pine". Cost is $1149.

There are two door options which are glass and solid raised panel (both are delivered with the unit and the user can easily swap them with just a screwdriver). We chose the solid wood option, since our equipment is of varied appearance. The video base could be used alone with a flat panel on a stand, but we live in earthquake country, and this would have been a poor choice for us.

There are two optional additions to the top, one is a video panel which mounts a flat panel via a standard wall mount (#13-9646, $495, our choice):

The other choice being an upper cabinet which IMHO is the best option for a deeper DLP versus a flat panel (#13-9647, $919):

This double door unit was perfectly sized for a 46" flat panel. For a bigger HDTV, there is also the option of a triple door video base, with both video panel and video cabinet top options:

For more information: http://www.ethanallen.com/product?productId=635

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #18 of 24 Old 12-05-2011, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm having trouble locating a unit that can accommodate my center speaker. The unit has to be open as the speaker is rear ported. I would like to have a shelf that is at least 9" tall to give some clearance. My TV has to sit on the top of the shelf. I prefer an open unit with at three levels (two for components and one for the speaker).
post #19 of 24 Old 12-05-2011, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, following the link provided above by pwjone1, I found this unit. It seems to have the shelf spacing that I require and will fit my components. Does anyone have any experience with company (Progressive Structures by Jon Alexander)?
post #20 of 24 Old 12-06-2011, 09:55 AM

Liked: 12
This is my basement setup. 55" Panasonic plasma on the wall and the stand below is from IKEA, Besta series in walnut color.

P.S. The butter yellow that my wife picked out for the color of the basement walls is bugging me a little bit. If it'd have been up to me it'd be a bit more subdued color. But the this yellow seems to make the Mrs. happier and it was a valuable give on my part in order to get a WAF seal of approval to start putting together a decent setup in the basement. She wanted a smaller TV on the wall .

post #21 of 24 Old 12-06-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

The old thread was terminated due to some users using to spam and troll. Too bad though.
post #22 of 24 Old 12-06-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd have an easier time finding a suitable stand if I was able to do a wall mount. Unfortunately, the best location for viewing does not allow a wall mount (the TV is in front of an open staircase).
post #23 of 24 Old 12-06-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBiker View Post

I'd have an easier time finding a suitable stand if I was able to do a wall mount. Unfortunately, the best location for viewing does not allow a wall mount (the TV is in front of an open staircase).

Have you considered something like this:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...9000P?prdNo=14
post #24 of 24 Old 07-07-2012, 10:04 PM

Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page