What good are 480 hz displays ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-13-2011, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Is this mainly for 3d or what ? 120hz seems to be plenty for a 2d display. Just curious if this actually is something the eye can see or just another buzz word to sell tvs ? Thanks.................?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-13-2011, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The faster the display screen refresh, the less visible is the sample-and-hold blur. It's already true that 120Hz has very little sample-and-hold blur left, but I find that most often I can pick out the difference between 120Hz and 240Hz screens on several manufacturers HDTVs. I have observed the Sony 480Hz and 960Hz displays, but I cannot actually see any benefit of faster refresh there.

What I have observed is that the faster displays seem to have other high-end features that seem to be interesting. Reduced crosstalk in 3D mode is one of these. Extra fine resolution scaling is another. Effective local dimming is also common. These benefits do not necessarily derive from faster screen refresh, rather it seems to be the case that the faster screen refresh is one feature of a high-end HDTV.

I tend to look for display image quality first, and other HDTV features are a lower priority. I don't particularly care how many online services can be accessed or whether I can play video off a USB stick. But all the high-end LCDs you see seem to have lots of features, and you don't really get the choice to just get a monitor type display without such features, even though that would make high-end display quality more affordable.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #3 of 7 Old 06-13-2011, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
For a 3D TV you a 480HZ LCD TV allows you to have frame interpolation motion compensation with 1080p/60 per eye enabling 1080p/120 per eye(or use 5:5 pulldown per eye eliminating 3:2 pulldown Judder) and also have a black frame inserted after each video frame to reduce/eliminate ghosting/video crosstalk
post #4 of 7 Old 06-20-2011, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Once refresh rates reach about 50 Hz, regardless of brightness or screen size (both of which otherwise would make the number lower) human persistence of vision can't distinguish flicker in static images.

But motion is different. I find a significant advantage to 120 Hz for motion, both in the loss of the flicker motion artifact and the judder motion artifact. And Gary has it pretty well pegged; 240 isn't likely that much better, and 480 and 960 can only be smaller fractions of better, even if they can be noticed (which is doubtful). Higher frame rates will indeed mean more for 3D, tho.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
post #5 of 7 Old 06-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
post #6 of 7 Old 06-21-2011, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 20
ThANKS, great article. I never have saw much problem with motion blur during sports on my Pio rear projection at only 60hz and my Vizio LCD at 120hz sure has no motion blur.

Point being for 2d 480hz and even 240 hz is relatively useless. Not a 3d fan until no glasses standardized 3D becomes available. Basically if I can't see or hear the difference its a selling point or gimmick.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-21-2011, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post

Depends on the human.

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frame...humans_see.htm

IMHO article probably 1/3 incorrect and some half-truths.

Most people's brains are fooled into motion around 16fps and most cannot see flicker around 50/60fps. But there's a minority that needs 75-85fps to be flicker free.

The often touted pilot's test at 220Hz is a "lab test" ie impractical. If we put the same pilot playing say a 220fps CoD will he be able to see the plane much less identify it? The brain works heuristically.

BTW 240Hz with backlight strobing helps in reducing sample and hold, while a "pure" 240Hz assuming faster response rate reduces trailing artifacts. They are not strictly an issue of the eye seeing differences in higher fps.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page