CHIEF ARM BROKE, TV fell and hit my wife!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 07-25-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a Sony KLV-23M1 mounted on a Chief arm, KWB-110. This is an articulating arm with three arm sections to it. All three arms rotate left and right and the third arrm has a gas cylinder it to give up and down adjustability.

At the base of the third arm, the hinge point for up and down movement broke, causing the TV to fall from the position it was at until the third arm just hung down with no support. The TV fell about 3' in total. The arm itself remained attached to the wall. When the TV fell it struck my wife who was sitting under it at the time, our computer happens to be in that area of the room. The TV hit my wife in the shoulder, and narrowly missed her head!

The arm had a rating of 25 pounds, and the TV without it's stand is just barely over 22 pounds, according to the Sony specifications.

Has anyone had an experience like this?

The TV no longer works, and of course I'm out the mounting arm too, not to mention the injury to my wife.

How should I proceed with being compensated for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 07-25-2011, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill4d View Post

I had a Sony KLV-23M1 mounted on a Chief arm, KWB-110. This is an articulating arm with three arm sections to it. All three arms rotate left and right and the third arrm has a gas cylinder it to give up and down adjustability.

At the base of the third arm, the hinge point for up and down movement broke, causing the TV to fall from the position it was at until the third arm just hung down with no support. The TV fell about 3' in total. The arm itself remained attached to the wall. When the TV fell it struck my wife who was sitting under it at the time, our computer happens to be in that area of the room. The TV hit my wife in the shoulder, and narrowly missed her head!

The arm had a rating of 25 pounds, and the TV without it's stand is just barely over 22 pounds, according to the Sony specifications.

Has anyone had an experience like this?

The TV no longer works, and of course I'm out the mounting arm too, not to mention the injury to my wife.

How should I proceed with being compensated for this?

Wow, sorry about your ordeal as that could have been nasty and luckily it was a small TV. Your only chance of recourse is to call Chief and explain to them what happened and take it from there. How long have you had the TV on that mount?
post #3 of 35 Old 07-25-2011, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

It's been on the mount for probably 5 years.

I've already contacted Chief, and the only problem is they want proof of purchase of the arm. I do not have the original receipt anymore. I know I bought it online, but have no idea from where. The CC I used is no longer active and the bank of the CC has been useless in finding any transactions from the card.
post #4 of 35 Old 07-25-2011, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
I'm as anti-lawyer as you can get and it angers me when somebody starts screaming for a class action lawsuit over something like rising blacks on Panny plasmas.

This is different. This product was being used as designed, not overloaded, not abused, and it broke under normal use and injured a person. While the potential for tragedy may not be as high as, for example, a faulty auto child safety seat (these get recalled all the time) the principal is the same.

Warranty issues aside imho you should have a reasonable expectation that this mount would not break in normal use.

I'd take pictures of the broken mount, document your wife's injuries, report this to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, and notify Chief that if they do nothing you intend to consult a lawyer.

Steve S.
post #5 of 35 Old 07-25-2011, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's been on the mount for probably 5 years.

I've already contacted Chief, and the only problem is they want proof of purchase of the arm. I do not have the original receipt anymore. I know I bought it online, but have no idea from where. The CC I used is no longer active and the bank of the CC has been useless in finding any transactions from the card.

That will make it tough then as most companies want some sort of proof of purchase as they have no proof that you bought it new otherwise. Another issue is the mount being used for 5 years with no problems and basically on the edge of performance spec (25lb capacity for a 22lb TV) their argument could be that more than 3lbs was exerted on the arm when pulling it in and out at times thus causing a possible stress crack that finally gave way. Now I'm not saying that's what happened but you have to look at it from all sides. Chances of getting a new TV out of this might be slim but by working with them maybe you can get a new mount (heavier duty one) from them for the replacement TV if you purchase another one. Good luck and keep us informed as to what the outcome is. I never did ask, but you also didn't mention it, but I hope your wife was okay and that the injury was very minor.
post #6 of 35 Old 07-25-2011, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

I'm as anti-lawyer as you can get and it angers me when somebody starts screaming for a class action lawsuit over something like rising blacks on Panny plasmas.

This is different. This product was being used as designed, not overloaded, not abused, and it broke under normal use and injured a person. While the potential for tragedy may not be as high as, for example, a faulty auto child safety seat (these get recalled all the time) the principal is the same.

Warranty issues aside imho you should have a reasonable expectation that this mount would not break in normal use.

I'd take pictures of the broken mount, document your wife's injuries, report this to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, and notify Chief that if they do nothing you intend to consult a lawyer.

That's who I've been trying to think of, Consumer Product Safety Commission!! I will definately contact them.

I've got plenty of pictures for documentation.
post #7 of 35 Old 07-25-2011, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3 View Post

That will make it tough then as most companies want some sort of proof of purchase as they have no proof that you bought it new otherwise. Another issue is the mount being used for 5 years with no problems and basically on the edge of performance spec (25lb capacity for a 22lb TV) their argument could be that more than 3lbs was exerted on the arm when pulling it in and out at times thus causing a possible stress crack that finally gave way. Now I'm not saying that's what happened but you have to look at it from all sides. Chances of getting a new TV out of this might be slim but by working with them maybe you can get a new mount (heavier duty one) from them for the replacement TV if you purchase another one. Good luck and keep us informed as to what the outcome is. I never did ask, but you also didn't mention it, but I hope your wife was okay and that the injury was very minor.

Yes, she is fine. The TV actually swung down, free falling, and struck her on the shoulder, just missing her head. Basically just caused a deep bruise and some pain for a few days, nothing too serious. But, obviously if it were someones head...... that would have been a different story.

I'm not worried about proving the purchase. Anything bought with a credit card, I'm sure, creates a record that can be obtained somehow, someway.

Chief has been working with me since I contacted them, but they seem very anxious to get the arm in their hands.
post #8 of 35 Old 07-25-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, she is fine. The TV actually swung down, free falling, and struck her on the shoulder, just missing her head. Basically just caused a deep bruise and some pain for a few days, nothing too serious. But, obviously if it were someones head...... that would have been a different story.

I'm not worried about proving the purchase. Anything bought with a credit card, I'm sure, creates a record that can be obtained somehow, someway.

Right Chief has been working with me, but they seem very anxious to get the arm in their hands.

glad to hear she's okay. They likely want the arm so they can inspect it to see what caused it to break. Unless you're willing to put out the expense of having an engineer or similar look at it and assess what caused the damage your best bet is to probably work with Chief and send it to them at their expense so they can determine the cause. Document everything with notes and pictures before you do though.
post #9 of 35 Old 07-25-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
^^^+1 Sounds like they're trying to do the right thing but cover yourself.

In a previous life I worked for a Toyota dealership as a service tech. Toyota's standing policy was that they would not pay for a warranty repair involving a failed part unless the failed part was returned to them for inspection and evaluation, the goal being to keep track of the qaulity of parts and correct defects in design and workmanship in parts currently in production. An example was late 80's Corollas made in the Fremont plant suffering premature alternator failure, resulting in a switch from Delco to Nippondenso alternators on US produced cars.

Steve S.
post #10 of 35 Old 07-25-2011, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

^^^+1 Sounds like they're trying to do the right thing but cover yourself.

In a previous life I worked for a Toyota dealership as a service tech. Toyota's standing policy was that they would not pay for a warranty repair involving a failed part unless the failed part was returned to them for inspection and evaluation, the goal being to keep track of the qaulity of parts and correct defects in design and workmanship in parts currently in production. An example was late 80's Corollas made in the Fremont plant suffering premature alternator failure, resulting in a switch from Delco to Nippondenso alternators on US produced cars.

I fully understand they want the arm back to evaluate it and find out why. I just want to make sure they are taking my issue seriously before I give the most valuable piece of evidence.

I plan to return it to them. In fact they've already given me their UPS account number for shipping charges.

I just want to hold their feet to the fire for a "sufficient" period of time.
post #11 of 35 Old 07-29-2011, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Being in law enforcement, I'd probably start asking you questions about whether you recently took out a life insurance policy on your wife.

Seriously though, glad your wife is none the worse for wear. I'm guessing this is some weird fluke. A 25lb capacity rating probably means it could really hold a lot more weight than that.

You've obviously been a member here for a while. Maybe there is a clue about where you bought the chief mount in one of your old posts.
post #12 of 35 Old 07-29-2011, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Bought it with CC? your CC statement will do it.

Forget class action man, that's your emotion talking, take your wife to the doctor, do *something* sue them in small claim court. That's the pocket talking.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #13 of 35 Old 07-30-2011, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

Being in law enforcement, I'd probably start asking you questions about whether you recently took out a life insurance policy on your wife.

Seriously though, glad your wife is none the worse for wear. I'm guessing this is some weird fluke. A 25lb capacity rating probably means it could really hold a lot more weight than that.

You've obviously been a member here for a while. Maybe there is a clue about where you bought the chief mount in one of your old posts.

I actually thought of that too. But, I finally just started going to every major site that sells them, trying to sign in to an account if I had previously made one, and viewing my past orders. And, viola, it worked!

So now it's just a matter of what Chief will do about it.

I also filed a report with the Consumer Product Safety Commission. This does raise the stakes for Chief, as if it is proven this product could potentially injure someone else, they are legally required to recall it.
post #14 of 35 Old 07-30-2011, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

Bought it with CC? your CC statement will do it.

Forget class action man, that's your emotion talking, take your wife to the doctor, do *something* sue them in small claim court. That's the pocket talking.

Huh? No one ever mentioned class action. I'm not sure I even understand your attempt at a sentence.

A credit card that is 6 years old, closed, that I no longer have the statements for, and the previous bank has been bought makes it difficult to track down a transaction, through the bank that is.

But, as you see in a previous post I was successful in another manner.
post #15 of 35 Old 07-30-2011, 08:54 AM

Granted, this is more recent...and a LOT more money...

I did a room for a client just short of 6 months ago where the centerpiece was a Pennsylvania House armoire with two matching shelves on both sides. We placed a 60" plasma, AVR and some antiques in the entire set-up.

45 days later one of the front legs of the armoire broke causing all three pieces to topple over(the armoire was support for the other two). After spending 3 weeks dealing with Penn House(which was surprisingly easy) and shipping the broken pieces back to them, they finally sent a check equal to the amount of money of the damaged items. The antiques that were broken were also covered.

The customer ended up ordering exactly the same piece of furniture cause it fit the room so well. This particular set of furniture, Penn House brought on their own truck...with their own people to install.

They determined that the leg had a split down the middle. Being all natural wood, not MDF, they occasionally run into issues...but the rep said that was the worst he'd seen in his 15 years.
post #16 of 35 Old 07-30-2011, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

Granted, this is more recent...and a LOT more money...

I did a room for a client just short of 6 months ago where the centerpiece was a Pennsylvania House armoire with two matching shelves on both sides. We placed a 60" plasma, AVR and some antiques in the entire set-up.

45 days later one of the front legs of the armoire broke causing all three pieces to topple over(the armoire was support for the other two). After spending 3 weeks dealing with Penn House(which was surprisingly easy) and shipping the broken pieces back to them, they finally sent a check equal to the amount of money of the damaged items. The antiques that were broken were also covered.

The customer ended up ordering exactly the same piece of furniture cause it fit the room so well. This particular set of furniture, Penn House brought on their own truck...with their own people to install.

They determined that the leg had a split down the middle. Being all natural wood, not MDF, they occasionally run into issues...but the rep said that was the worst he'd seen in his 15 years.

Sounds like that company did the right thing. That's good to here. But, things like this just shouldn't be happening. Imagine a toddler or baby on the floor in front of that armoire when it fell. When in doubt at all, products should be grossly over engineered......... NOT under engineered.
post #17 of 35 Old 07-30-2011, 10:08 AM

You can't plan for everything...

It is like the Toyota unintended acceleration thing.

Their internal memos(or so they say) were accidentally switched between the manufacturers of the gas pedals and floor mats(neither of which Toyota actually made...it is called outsourcing).

Somehow both companies ended up making the under pad of the mats and the rubber of the gas pedals out of the same exact rubber. Oops.

I have a cousin-in-law(my cousin is married to the engineer...) who works for Ford. When he was originally hired, he was on the team for the "new" Ranger(which is now stillborn). There were 12 people on the team for the GAS TANK, by itself. He has said gas tank placement on a vehicle is the hardest thing to do. There is one reason for it...

According the the Federal rules(and only the US has this rule), if the gas tank leaks after a crash...it is the gas tanks fault. No matter if the bumper went through it...or even if the vehicle was flipped over and the tank itself receives a direct hit from a semi doing 100 miles per hour...if the tank leaks...it is still the tanks fault.
post #18 of 35 Old 08-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

i hate lifetime guarantees that still require a proof of purchase.... the product is here, im alive... why do you need a receipt? does it matter if its 4months 4 years or 40 years? you said lifetime!
post #19 of 35 Old 08-03-2011, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irfan View Post

i hate lifetime guarantees that still require a proof of purchase.... the product is here, im alive... why do you need a receipt? does it matter if its 4months 4 years or 40 years? you said lifetime!

I agree. The only thing necessary should be to validate that it is in fact an authentic product of the company. If it's a lifetime warranty, the product should be replaced for whoever is in posession of it.

My Chief arm, though, actually is under a 10 year warranty, which in this case is the same thing as a lifetime warranty, since they did not start manufacturing these arms more than 10 years ago.
post #20 of 35 Old 08-03-2011, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I agree. The only thing necessary should be to validate that it is in fact an authentic product of the company. If it's a lifetime warranty, the product should be replaced for whoever is in posession of it.

My Chief arm, though, actually is under a 10 year warranty, which in this case is the same thing as a lifetime warranty, since they did not start manufacturing these arms more than 10 years ago.
The receipt requirement is probably to avoid being conned by people out to make a quick buck.
post #21 of 35 Old 08-06-2011, 05:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Just another reason TV's don't belong hanging on walls!

It's too bad it happened, but pictures should be hung, not TV's!

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #22 of 35 Old 08-06-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Just another reason TV's don't belong hanging on walls!

It's too bad it happened, but pictures should be hung, not TV's!

whatever.
post #23 of 35 Old 08-06-2011, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Intelligent reply.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #24 of 35 Old 08-06-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:

Intelligent reply.

That was the response your post deserved.
post #25 of 35 Old 08-07-2011, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

My post was factual, logical and sensible, more that anyone can say about the unneeded response. Placing something as heavy as a TV on a wall where you can't easily get to it is foolish. It's one thing in a business (restaurant or bar), but for the most part not in a home. Of course if you are out to impress.........

post #26 of 35 Old 08-07-2011, 05:59 AM

Liked: 11
Bruce, a tv is much safer mounted on a wood stud, residential wall vs a metal stud commercial wall.

You response is idiotic.
post #27 of 35 Old 08-07-2011, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tell that to the OP.
Safer than placed on a stand? You can't see the forest for the trees. I hope yours falls off the wall, maybe it might some sense in you.

post #28 of 35 Old 08-07-2011, 02:15 PM

Lmao as heavy as a tv????? A 55" plasma weighs 69.5 pounds without the stand. Thats less than my 37" LCD thats 5 years old by 4 pounds. I bet a lot of people have things heavier than 70 pounds mounted on a wall somewhere in their house. Its your opinion a TV shouldnt be on the wall and that you are entitled too. But your statements are totally idiotic!!!!!
post #29 of 35 Old 08-08-2011, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

My post was factual, logical and sensible, more that anyone can say about the unneeded response. Placing something as heavy as a TV on a wall where you can't easily get to it is foolish. It's one thing in a business (restaurant or bar), but for the most part not in a home. Of course if you are out to impress.........

A lot of people with young children opt to mount their TV sets to keep them from getting knocked over, or hit by toys etc.
post #30 of 35 Old 08-08-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tell that to the OP.
Safer than placed on a stand? You can't see the forest for the trees. I hope yours falls off the wall, maybe it might some sense in you.

As safe as on a stand. TVs on stands can be knocked over, run into, and hit with objects. For those in earthquake prone areas, a tv on a stand must be properly anchored to the furniture. A TV on a stand can be just as difficult to get behind, in fact, often more so if you have to move furniture.

And technically, the OP didn't have his TV mounted to the wall. He had it mounted to an arm that was mounted to the wall. The arm broke.

A TV that is properly wall mounted cannot fall off. So that actually makes it safer than a TV on a stand.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page