New Display, mid/hi budget, Need suggestions. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-02-2011, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in need of a display for my HT, I currently use a MitsubishiHD 1080i rear projection, great TV BTW. I most recently have purchased 2 Panasonic Vieras the most recent being a VT25 so I am slightly partial to plasmas since I have had no problems so far.

The problem I am having is where to start, I peruse the forum I get all of the magazines but I cannot come up with a clear 50-65in set that is top of the line for my budget that stands out. I expected the new Panasonic VT30s to be my next TV but the reviews have been less than stellar, maybe because of the expectations but they have been lower regardless.

I would really like a reference level set that stays around my budget of mid/hi range budget and is above 55inches. I don't mind plasma, LCD, LED as long as it is a quality display. I am not big on 3d so it is by no means a necessity, and the room will be a light controlled environment, for 95% viewing of movies.

So in short, Help! i need suggestions to anchor my HT, and value this forums suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-03-2011, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Also does anyone have suggestions on the best places to shop? I usually do mine online.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-03-2011, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I usually start with Amazon, then proceed to look at local BestBuy, Fry's and Costco/Sam's. For a large tv, I'd rather purchase locally, but that's me.

Within your budget and wanting a big screen, you may want to look at this review:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...8&postcount=15
post #4 of 13 Old 08-03-2011, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The reviews I have read, including CNET, claim the VT30 to have the best PQ of the 2011 models, so I'm not sure what reviews you have been reading. If you like the VT25, the VT30 is even better (no floating blacks, better black levels, and the rising blacks may have been fixed, based on CNET readings so far).
post #5 of 13 Old 08-03-2011, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstr212 View Post
Also does anyone have suggestions on the best places to shop? I usually do mine online.
Cleveland Plasma. They are a forum sponsor and have great customer service and prices.

P.S. It's a violation of the rules to post a budget price, so you might want to edit your thread.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-04-2011, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Did not realize that.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-04-2011, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

The reviews I have read said that it wasn't really better than the old VT25 which gave me pause:

"We still had our review sample of last year's top-of-the-line TC-P50VT25 on hand, so a comparison between that and the VT30 was clearly irresistible. There was only time for a 2D face-off, but one thing was clear: In terms of picture quality, the VT30 was neither better nor worse than the VT25 in any respect save one: The VT25 had better blacks—0.006 ft-L on the VT30 versus 0.004 ft-L on the VT25..." - Home Theater Mag

It goes on from there but I have heard it on other publications as well so thats what I was basing my reading on so far.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-04-2011, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Good catch. The 50% higher black levels on the VT30 are a definate concern.

I would SERIOUSLY consider the Sharp 70" model myself, if I could fit it in my room. Picture size has a quality all it's own. I've seen the Sharp and it's mesmerizing, even in uncalibrated form. Plus, Costco has such generous warranty and exchange policies, it is a powerfull inducement.

The advantage of the Sharp is it has a "full array" of LED backlighting, which means that you can calibrate it twice - one picture mode such as "Movie" tweeked for the darkened home theater environment, and one such as "Standard" for more casual viewing with the lights on. The extra brightness of the LED full array will allow a great image in a brightly lit room, if you ever are entertaining or watching live sports in your home theater. Plus you will get years of more service from the bright LED backlighting, without the need to periodicly re-calibrate the set.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #9 of 13 Old 08-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

I would SERIOUSLY consider the Sharp 70" model myself, if I could fit it in my room. Picture size has a quality all it's own. I've seen the Sharp and it's mesmerizing, even in uncalibrated form. Plus, Costco has such generous warranty and exchange policies, it is a powerfull inducement.
Are you referring to the Sharp PRO-70X5FD?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/04/s...ands-on-video/
post #10 of 13 Old 08-04-2011, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb32;
Are you referring to the Sharp PRO-70X5FD?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/04/s...ands-on-video/
I was wondering about that to, there is also the 60X5FD option.

The yellow subpixel is a dealbreaker for me.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-04-2011, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

The advantage of the Sharp is it has a "full array" of LED backlighting, which means that you can calibrate it twice - one picture mode such as "Movie" tweeked for the darkened home theater environment, and one such as "Standard" for more casual viewing with the lights on. The extra brightness of the LED full array will allow a great image in a brightly lit room, if you ever are entertaining or watching live sports in your home theater. Plus you will get years of more service from the bright LED backlighting, without the need to periodicly re-calibrate the set.

If your talking about that Elite model, thats a heck of a TV, but I just can't spend more than around $3k.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-04-2011, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

How do people feel about the Mitsubishi WD-73738 73-Inch ans 83 inch series? I know its older but I see a few good things about them. Also has anyone seen the LaserVue sets?
post #13 of 13 Old 08-04-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
For the record, the HDTV I saw at Costco is the Sharp AQUOS LC70LE732U 70" LCD TV, and it has an MSRP just short of $3800, but the actual retail price at the big box store is - within your pricerange (the rules forbid mentioning it).

It does not have 3D, but it is a 120Hz set with good color management options, a decent set of online services, and builtin WiFi.

If you are even considering an RPTV, you owe it to yourself to check out the 70" Sharp LED-backlit LCD. It has a much better image than an RPTV IMHO, and the only larger flat panel is the $30,000+ 85" Panasonic plasma, costing 10X what the Sharp costs.

Sears also lists the same HDTV at a price within your stated range.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page