Why do alot of people still use their TV speakers? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 104 Old 07-04-2012, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From personal experience.....I've always had high quality sound systems from the time I turned 16 or 17 and my brother always had access to my systems.....so he knows good sound.

He just bought his own house.....got a 55" Samsung LCD.....but his wife doesn't want any bulky stereo gear....it's called wife acceptance factor and many men have to obide by these rules.

Most people have never owned high quality audio gear so it just isn't important especially since personal audio is so popular.....growing up I knew 2 people with good stereo rigs besides myself.....so it's not something thats imbedded in modern daily life like a microwave....dishwasher...washing machine.

Also some people can't make noise if they live in a condo or apartment.

For myself I don't mind watching the news or a TV show with the TV speakers.....but when it's time for a movie all 1500 watts I have on tap come pouring out......or at least a good pair of headphones if I can't make any noise.wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 104 Old 07-05-2012, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

On warm summer days, my 65" has become barely warm to the touch. Not sure what heat I'm supposed to be worried about.
(This TV makes less heat -- and uses far less power -- than the 50" TV it replaced.)
This has only been the case in the last year or two as energy efficiency laws are being put into place around the world. Pioneer's Plasmas were hot enough that I actually had to stop using my 50" panels in the summer heat. (AC is not standard in this country as we get maybe a week or two of good weather if we're lucky)
post #93 of 104 Old 07-05-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

This has only been the case in the last year or two as energy efficiency laws are being put into place around the world. Pioneer's Plasmas were hot enough that I actually had to stop using my 50" panels in the summer heat. (AC is not standard in this country as we get maybe a week or two of good weather if we're lucky)

Well, regardless of exactly when, I'm talking about the largest current plasma being sold, one that doesn't even qualify for Energy Star in the U.S. (because our regs got tighter this year and larger plasmas cannot meet them). It's barely warm, even on a hot day. And my home uses A/C about 5x per year, even though our summer days are in the 80s and higher.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #94 of 104 Old 07-05-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
The energy star rules/max power values stop at a 50" model and 16:9 HDTVs greater then 50"(1068 square inces)must meet the criteria set for 50" which is 108 watts, see:

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=tv_vcr.pr_crit_tv_vcr
post #95 of 104 Old 07-05-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

The energy star rules stop at a 50" model and all 16:9 HDTVs greater then 50" must mee the criteria set for 50" which is 108 watts, see:

The Energy Star rules do not stop at 50" sets. Panasonic simply doesn't try to qualify their larger sets because of the utter pointlessness of trying to qualify and failing.

For TVs above 50" diagonal, the power budget is 108 watts regardless of how big the TV gets.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #96 of 104 Old 07-06-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

The energy star rules stop at a 50" model and all 16:9 HDTVs greater then 50" must mee the criteria set for 50" which is 108 watts, see:
About 1/4 of the power consumption of the Kuros and other older PDPs then. If I recall correctly, the KRP-500M was just shy of 400W.
post #97 of 104 Old 07-06-2012, 02:35 PM

Liked: 10
This thread got off topic real quick.smile.gif
post #98 of 104 Old 07-06-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator View Post

This thread got off topic real quick.smile.gif

ya think? wink.gif To be on topic, I think the answer is three-fold. Either they can't afford a better sound system, don't know what's available even for "regular" OTA HDTV, or just don't care.
post #99 of 104 Old 07-06-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think the thread answered the question just fine, and we are now picking at the minutiae. It's pretty much like any other AVS thread.

post #100 of 104 Old 07-06-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I think the thread answered the question just fine, and we are now picking at the minutiae. It's pretty much like any other AVS thread.

I hate to admit it, but you're right frown.gif
post #101 of 104 Old 07-07-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I'd always wanted to get a soundbar but this factor prohibits it:
Not easy to power up the soundbar. My TV doesn't have HDMI-CEC control. There's no 12V trigger out from the TV and soundbar. That means it is not convenient for my old mom and dad to use it.
post #102 of 104 Old 07-07-2012, 09:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

I'd always wanted to get a soundbar but this factor prohibits it:
Not easy to power up the soundbar. My TV doesn't have HDMI-CEC control. There's no 12V trigger out from the TV and soundbar. That means it is not convenient for my old mom and dad to use it.

Harmony remotes.... Are soundbars really not remote controllable?

post #103 of 104 Old 07-08-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
For those, myself included, who have equated thin speakers = thin sound, well just listen to the new MacPro laptops! They got thinner and yet the sound is now better! WOW. So it's POSSIBLE to get better sound even with built-in thin speakers. Once again, Apple has shown us possible what we thought it was not. Yes am fanboy sue me.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #104 of 104 Old 07-08-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree. The audio out of our MBP and Airs is very good. Certainly not for a HTS but your point is well made. It will be interesting to see (hear) what the Apple HDTV will sound like.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page