Plasma vs led - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-26-2011, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'am looking into buying a new tv I have a 40in lcd samsung some people say the newer samsungs led picture looks like your there is this true with the panasonic st30
42in plasmas? I was looking at bestbuy and theres tons of lcds and led and only a few plasma tvs so I couldn't get to view very many plasmas because they were all huge and I'am looking for something smaller or the bigger plasmas that much of a difference between say 60in and 42in I cant go bigger then 42in tv so should I lean more towards led? only way to test plasma is to bring it home
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-28-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecq View Post

I'am looking into buying a new tv I have a 40in lcd samsung some people say the newer samsungs led picture looks like your there is this true with the panasonic st30
42in plasmas? I was looking at bestbuy and theres tons of lcds and led and only a few plasma tvs so I couldn't get to view very many plasmas because they were all huge and I'am looking for something smaller or the bigger plasmas that much of a difference between say 60in and 42in I cant go bigger then 42in tv so should I lean more towards led? only way to test plasma is to bring it home
thanks

While both plasma and LCD/LED can produce stunning images, I don't think either of them can make it look like "you're there." Many people here feel that plasma produces a more natural image and therefore prefer it but its really personal preference. As far as the rest of your questions, I don't really understand what you are asking because it reads as one long run-on sentence.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-28-2011, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecq View Post

thanks

there are tons of threads dealing with the plasma v led/lcd debate.

search this forum, and the lcd and plasma forums and read.

you'll find everything you need to know to make an informed decision

neflixis our nemesis
post #4 of 9 Old 11-28-2011, 03:48 PM

Liked: 11
I have a hard time believing a change in backlight would make for a 'it's as if I was there' experience. No TV really offers that.

LED TVs are just LCDs with LED backlighting, nothing else. It's a blatant dishonesty on the marketing front. True LEDs are OLEDs, and those are not mature enough to take frontstage in the market yet.

There are distinct differences between the technologies, and I'm sure you already know some.

Plasmas have the ability to produce higher contrast and deeper blacks because they don't require a true backlight.
Plasmas alias better, so they produce 720p content when upscaled to a 1080p resolution panel.
Plasmas are heavier, get hotter, and consume more energy. More expensive in the long run but cheaper on the short run.

LED backlit LCDs consume less energy than CCFL LCDs, usually have more vivid colors, and full LED array backlit LCDs (expensive) can dim certain areas of the screen to provide more contrast and better blacks. Some cheaper LED backlights have backlighting inconsistency.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-28-2011, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I believe the whole Plasma uses more energy statement has been nullified by many people here... just search through that long and dreaded plasma vs lcd thread that used to be somewhere on here

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #6 of 9 Old 12-17-2011, 11:38 AM

Have LCD's fixed the motion interpolation (soap opera) problem, and the judder problem?

Some people don't notice the soap opera affect like I do, and I can't stand it.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
plasmas use a lot less energy then they did years ago on . acording to panny a 50 inch st30 only uses 25 dollars a year worth of energy .and dont judge a plasma by looking at it in best buy they look a lot better at home. and yes 42 inch st30 is cheaper then a lcd..
post #8 of 9 Old 12-18-2011, 10:21 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post

Have LCD's fixed the motion interpolation (soap opera) problem, and the judder problem?

Some people don't notice the soap opera affect like I do, and I can't stand it.

You like that analog look
post #9 of 9 Old 12-19-2011, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

You like that analog look

I want high resolution, great contrast, vivid picture, and "analog" film like motion. Watching Dirty Harry on Samsung LCD was a big let down...it didn't even look like a movie. Watch the new Star Trek movie, and thought the action wasn't smooth. The LCD had a lot of white washout too. But LCD looked amazing when watching animated movies or still pictures.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page