Plasma or LED Television for gaming? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-06-2011, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a choice of two televisions that are going for extremely good prices. They both are the same price and are extremely cheap for New Zealand prices and I have a choice and It's really difficult. They are so good that I have got to choose soon.

I want to use the TV for strictly gaming and I usually can play up to 8-12 hours or even more some days. Usually I'll play 8 hours maximum. It varies on what I'm doing.

What television do you think is better for gaming.

I've read that Plasma have less input lag and ghosting. But they have the possibility of image retention which could be bad for me who does countless hours in games.

The LED is more economical and I don't know much more about them. I know they're lighter as well and maybe brighter? I know they have ghosting or possible ghosting and they're is the possibilty of higher input lag if you play on 120hz+ but if it's on gaming 60hz I heard it's alright. And this tv is 4,000,000:1 Contrast Ratio, the Plasma is only 2,000,000:1 not that I know what it means haha.

These are the two televisions I have the choice of

Panasonic Plasma 42" Full HD 3D TV (TH-P42UT30Z)
http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/eu201...ut_plasma.html <-- It says it's 30E not 30Z but it seems like the exact same statistics.

LG LED 42" Full HD 3D TV (42LW4500) (It comes with 4 pairs of 3D Glasses free as well, though I probably won't need 3D hehe)
http://m.lg.com/za/tv-audio-video/te...v-42LW4500.jsp

Out of those two televisions which one would you choose for gaming?
Thanks for the help. I've spent an entire week or two deciding and I'm so indecisive and I'm quite the perfectionist and if it isn't perfect I won't be happy so I'd rather have some great help to help me decide. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-06-2011, 06:28 PM

I'm running a Samsung plasma. It's about a week old, I haven't been very careful with it. I got a bit of image retention after a day of playing Civ V in hotseat mode with some friends. There are some static UI elements that never go away. It was on for probably ten hours, and the IR was only visible when I looked at a full-white screen. I ran the break in slides for about fifteen minutes and it had cleared up. I expect after I've owned if for a month or so I won't have to bother anymore.

My brother has been using a Panasonic plasma as his computer monitor on his only home computer for about four years or so and has ZERO image retention. He ran the break-in slides a lot over his first couple weeks.

I don't think it's worth avoiding plasma for what seems, to me at least, to be a vastly overstated and exaggerated problem. If you're saving lots of cash going with the LCD, I guess so, but the plasma will perform better in a number of ways. To be fair, some people prefer the flaws of LCD to the flaws of plasma, and you'll have to figure that one out for yourself.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-06-2011, 06:44 PM

Panasonic plasma from 2008 is what I game and have no noticable lag and any IR has been temorary. Even on legacy systems (NES, SNES, etc.)

PS3 Gamer Tag: WastedSauce
360 Gamer Tag: Thrillhelm
post #4 of 10 Old 12-06-2011, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The UT is the same as the S30 but with 3D. The ST30 is not significantly more expensive despite being a far superior television with better motion and costs the same as the 42LW4500. The UT is not a good option.

The only justification I can think of to get the the LCD is the avert the possibility of burn-in. There is alot you can read about this topic so you could decide whether it'd be a problem for you.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-06-2011, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerging View Post

The UT is the same as the S30 but with 3D. The ST30 is not significantly more expensive despite being a far superior television with better motion and costs the same as the 42LW4500. The UT is not a good option.

I was looking for the ST30 but I live in New Zealand and I cannot find that model anywhere...
post #6 of 10 Old 12-07-2011, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
A quick search shows the P42ST30Z is more widely available in New Zealand than the P42UT30Z

If you're not interested in 3D you would be better off getting the P42U30Z than the P42UT30Z.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-07-2011, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

A quick search shows the P42ST30Z is more widely available in New Zealand than the P42UT30Z

If you're not interested in 3D you would be better off getting the P42U30Z than the P42UT30Z.

That's the original TV I saw on the internet. The price was about $969 NZD. When I went into the store I didn't notice that the Plasma was 3D at first. I just saw that it was $1000 and then I saw it was 3D and thought why not pay the extra 31 dollars for 3D capability. That way if I ever want to try 3D I can.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-07-2011, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

A quick search shows the P42ST30Z is more widely available in New Zealand than the P42UT30Z ]

I also see that it's in New Zealand but the store I'm looking at which I could only get the TV didn't have the model. If Smith City had the TV I would of got that instead.

It's at every store but the one I usually go to. I pay the TV off over time and they give me intrest free credit that way I get the TV now and pay it off over the years.

Also the TV is $500 dollars more than the one I got.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-12-2011, 10:10 AM

I can't comment on plasma (though I assume newer sets like 2010-2011 have better countermeasures against IR/burn-in).

Afterwards, it's all about performance characteristics. Then if as a user, you can't discern the differences for yourself, then the next criteria will be pricing.

Btw, someone mentioned Samsung earlier:

When it comes to Samsung, plasma has never been their forte or line of expertise (hence when it comes to plasma, you have Panasonic for that).

For Samsung, it's LCD TVs that are their forte (or what they're better at).
post #10 of 10 Old 12-15-2011, 12:38 AM

Yeah I'm kind of in the same bubble, I want a hdtv with low input lag and not sacrifice image quality. Are there specific models I should be looking at?
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page