Samsung's 2012 OLED sets! - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 161 Old 08-31-2012, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
They HAVE to say that, can't have LG stealing all the spotlight, now can they? wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 161 Old 08-31-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

My January prediction for Samsung. Feels a bit optimistic right now.
My April statement -- which was ridiculed. The only way this is proved wrong is if Samsung's ships a product within 31 days.
See all that time I was accused of "trolling" when all I was doing was stating things I was perfectly capable of discussing based on what I know. I received ridicule for some statements about mass production which have been proved true.
All I can say to this one is I LOL-ed at the time, was ridiculed, and LOL again.
Oh, and just so no one is confused, I hope Samsung ships the TV before the end of the year and demonstrates that my worst-case-scenario of none in 2012 doesn't come to pass. That said, I'm not betting on that outcome.

Why do you have such a desperate need to be worshiped on an internet site as a infallible soothsayer? Your stabs at what might happen down the road are not that important. They have no impact on what transpires, so why do you keep wanting to be lauded for them?. Get over yourself please.
post #153 of 161 Old 08-31-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^You shouldn't justify their ridicule with all that attention, Ro. wink.gif I can count on my fingers the number of those who try to demean what you say, and they by and large have proven they are no more trustworthy than the phony conjecture-laden articles they post nor the hot air they blow. They should be preparing for their crow meal at any moment.

I just find it amusing, Vinnie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post

Samsung says they are planning on a 4th quarter roll-out for their OLED television.
http://view.koreaherald.com/kh/view.php?ud=20120831001179&cpv=0

Just to be clear, Slacker. If this doesn't happen, the Samsung apologists are still going to state, Samsung never promised anything right? (Not that you are one of those, but every time some deadline slips, they explain to us how Samsung never said this or that. The article doesn't really change that calculus.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Peterson View Post

While I like hearing good news such as this, I'm a little cautious. What the article says is "Samsung Electronics, Korea’s largest consumer electronics company, plans to begin mass producing next-generation organic light-emitting diode televisions in the fourth quarter of this year." That seams to mean they will be rolling them off their assembly lines by then but in this context does roll-out mean they will make their way through the retail pipeline and into stores this year? Here is USA? I certainly hope so.

Rich, I share your caution and hope. I also note that phrases like "mass production" have no meaning in this context. They "mass produce" Galaxy phones by the millions. No matter what, mass production of OLED TVs is measured in the 1000s of units initially -- or fewer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Why do you have such a desperate need to be worshiped on an internet site as a infallible soothsayer? Your stabs at what might happen down the road are not that important. They have no impact on what transpires, so why do you keep wanting to be lauded for them?. Get over yourself please.

What you don't get is manifold:

1) I know you despise me, not worship me.
2) I recognize that will never change
3) People do in fact value my forecasting
4) My forecasting is not an effort to impact what will happen, but to provide insight into what might happen
5) The "desperate need" is not mine, but rather those who effort to discredit me. When they are proved desperately off, I like to call them out on it. I recognize that will never change (1) or (2), nor do I care.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #154 of 161 Old 09-02-2012, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Samsung ES-9500 55" OLED Television - IFA 2012

Love the design of the TV, with a pop-up camera, beautiful stands. Looks very premium.

Guy likes the Samsung over the LG.

C-net Australia at IFA 2012

Very nice walk around video with closups.

The Verge showing off Multi-view

buytme
post #155 of 161 Old 09-02-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
So, let' say that LG and Samsung ship only a couple of thousand OLED tvs this year, and continue with the same models into next year.

That's STILL 2 years before rogo said we would EVER see an OLED TV.

Who's going to be eating crow again? Certainly not the one's saying OLED production would begin this year.

You read what you want and ignore what rogo's wrong about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^You shouldn't justify their ridicule with all that attention, Ro. wink.gif I can count on my fingers the number of those who try to demean what you say, and they by and large have proven they are no more trustworthy than the phony conjecture-laden articles they post nor the hot air they blow. They should be preparing for their crow meal at any moment.

buytme
post #156 of 161 Old 09-02-2012, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Do you happen to have a release date for those first couple thousand, or in what markets they will even appear? I'm pretty sure his prediction on when a TV would be coming has continually been adjusting like a floating point variable.
post #157 of 161 Old 09-02-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Predictions are meaningless and just a way for some people to draw attention to themselves, when ever they have guessed right. Products do not get shipped because of someone's guesses. It is a futile exercise just to bolster some people's all consuming egos. It is like the rooster thinking that it is his crowing that causes the sun to rise every dawn.
post #158 of 161 Old 09-02-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Predictions are meaningless and just a way for some people to draw attention to themselves, when ever they have guessed right. Products do not get shipped because of someone's guesses. It is a futile exercise just to bolster some people's all consuming egos. It is like the rooster thinking that it is his crowing that causes the sun to rise every dawn.

What bothers you is how often I'm right, not predictions per se.

And the reason I make them has nothing to do with ego, but with informing people at AVS who are looking at making purchasing decisions. It helps them to know when things might actually be available.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #159 of 161 Old 09-02-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B View Post

So, let' say that LG and Samsung ship only a couple of thousand OLED tvs this year, and continue with the same models into next year.
That's STILL 2 years before rogo said we would EVER see an OLED TV.
Who's going to be eating crow again? Certainly not the one's saying OLED production would begin this year.
You read what you want and ignore what rogo's wrong about.

Can you find this quote where I said there would be no OLED TVs before 2014. I'm not saying it doesn't exist (some version of it probably does), but I think it would be informative to see the context of it. It's probably dramatically different from what you are claiming it is.

The reason I ask for you (or someone) to find it is because I tried to search recently and found a lack of recent references -- between AVS' lousy search and struggling to coax Google to do what I wanted, I only got so far... There was definitely a time where I was very negative on things shipping -- most probably due to year after year of bogus promises from LG mostly -- but I'd like to see what the conversation was about.

OK, so I found some of the stuff I was looking for. Here's probably about the most "shockingly bad" prediction I've made (from November 2010):

http://www.avsforum.com/t/681125/oled-tvs-technology-advancements-thread/1770#post_19462056
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711

Of course, for those who cant wait, a $10,000 55" OLED TV might be a possibility in early 2012....though I'm not sure I'd want to be a guinea pig for that kind of money .

So I'd put the probability of such a TV at 1% chance.

And the probability of that price in 2012 (assuming the TV exists) at 0%.
---

So I was certainly right that the TV wouldn't ship in early 2012. What will prove to be wrong -- if anyone ships -- is that the price might be $10,000 or even somewhat less. Of course, no one has shipped yet and the post in question specifically refers to Samsung, which is somewhat less likely to ship. Part of the discussion I linked refers to some pilot line Samsung was allegedly building that would be able to produce 4,000 TVs per month by "the end of next year". I knew it wouldn't happen and of course it didn't. Anyway, this prediction -- already half right -- might prove significantly wrong in the coming months. Worth watching.

If one continues to read the same thread, one can see where my skepticism came from.

Not everything depends on glass size. There is no real precedent in the history of flat panel displays for a technology that has yet to scale to 15 inches in a mass-produceable form to suddenly appear at 55 inches.

Due to things like yield, even if the glass allows for 55-inch OLEDs (which it might, but I'm more than a little skeptical), the factory will instead turn out smaller displays so that they don't end up with single-digit yields.

So the "miss" there is that I'm correct this has never happened before. Nothing that has been in production at 15" has mysteriously and magically scaled to 55". Why? Because it's hard. If you look at TFT LCD it scaled very very slowly in size. Plasma was first commercialized for TV at 42" (it actually didn't work well much smaller, although 32" plasmas were once available thanks to the Fujitsu-Hitachi Plasma joint venture), but took a long time to scale to 60".

Of course, the miss was narrow. I mean, the conversation was in 2010 about things happening in 2011. They didn't. And it's low late in 2012 and still nothing has happened. Now, again, there are 3 months left in the year to ship something. If it ships in the developed world such that real people can buy it, I'll have been proved wrong. That goes without saying. Until then, things have unfolded as I expected.

One thing that wasn't anticipated by me -- or really anyone else here and not much elsewhere -- was that LG would commercialize RGBW and target 8G production. Whether that was to catch up to what they feared from Samsung or was actually what motivated Samsung in the first place I can't say. But clearly that tech is a game changer. It doesn't rely on development science fiction -- like printable OLEDs that we've been reading about since at least 2000 but still don't exist -- but instead allows for OLED TVs without the development of any new manufacturing techniques at all. That's what's so exciting about it.

On the pages leading up to that, there is much chatter about a 31" $9000 LG that is promised for 2011 (never existed of course) and my general skepticism of OLED reaching volume production and cost targets. I also seem to stake out a pretty clear devil's advocate position in that it's clear I'm aware of OLED success in smartphones, but suggest it will be some time before they become ubiquitous. (And that's been proved true. And I believe they will eventually dominate smartphones, as Slacker was saying back then. Please note, if you look only at high-end smartphones, you get a very bad sense of market share for OLEDs in smartphones. You think they are much more prevalent than they are. That said, the prevalence is growing.)

Anyway, here's some more fodder for you:
Quote:
We could make a case that OLED is now only 4 years away. Let's not pretend a $9000 31-inch TV coming out in 2011 augurs in a new era where time will suddenly accelerate. Let's also not pretend that OLED has any advantages in inexpensive manufacturing, which is something we were promised over and over that proved to be patently false. We don't even hear that the 4-inch ones are cheap to make; in fact they apparently cost more than TFTs of the same size.

Since we can basically limited 2011 to one overpriced tiny TV, we can plot a trajectory pretty reliably. That trajectory is that 50 inch sets won't be out before 2013 and will still be astronomically expensive. It tells us that by the time 60-inch sets are out and are only ridiculously expensive, we might be looking at LCDs better than the ones I posited and costing under $1000.

So what's great about this is this is from October 2010. Two years have elapsed. If I said now, "mainstream OLED is about 2 years away... you should be able to buy them in 2013, but only in 2014 will the prices come down the first notch and make them even slightly reasonable to consider", it would be a set of statements that only a fool would rebut. So the part from 2010 where I say, "We could make a case that OLED is now only 4 years away" looks pretty darned good. Then I added the stuff about the 50-inch being out in 2013 and "astronomically expensive". So let's correct the errors in that prediction. (1) It will be 55 inches (2) It might slip in weeks before 2013. This is hardly feeling wrong.

What actually feels most shaky to me is the notion of truly great LCDs that are affordable. The Sony HX850 is very good and it's $2400 for a 55". I mean that's a good deal vs. several years ago, but it's still edge lit and it's still $2400. That's a soft target for OLED to the extent that the early adopters will buy the "best" for sme premium. Of course, we are talking <2x so we mean a sub $5000 OLED. That's 40% below the anticipated intro price of $8000. And that assumes the 55" high end LCD is a fixed target. Presumably, by 2014, that tier of TV is (a) better (b) probably around $2000. And, of course, a decent 55" LCD is around $1000.

When I first read that stuff back I was like, "Wow, Rogo, you were off base" but it doesn't actually look that way. It looks like I was both staking out the skeptical pole amidst all the hype and yet pretty close to spot on with timing.

The stuff that is going to be most "wrong" if things ship this year is wrong mostly by weeks or months. The fact they went straight to 55" is something. It will also be interesting to see how few units really ship in 2013. I mean the presence of product in the marketplace is very, very important. But if unit shipments don't reach into the six figures, the impact of all this -- both on the market and more importantly on the learning curve -- will be very small.

post #160 of 161 Old 09-02-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Well he got David B to take the bait, to provoke the argument that he went looking for to hijack the thread, when he dredged up a bunch of his old comments, for no other reason but to resurrect old arguments and hijack the thread to make it all about him instead of the product that the thread is labelled for.Congratulations.
David_B likes this.
post #161 of 161 Old 09-02-2012, 11:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well he got David B to take the bait, to provoke the argument that he went looking for to hijack the thread, when he dredged up a bunch of his old comments, for no other reason but to resurrect old arguments and hijack the thread to make it all about him instead of the product that the thread is labelled for.Congratulations.

There is no "baiting". There is no thread hijacking.

We are talking about Samsung OLEDs. At the moment, there is no product, no announced ship date, no announced shipping price. There is no way these posts are interfering with a discussion of any actual news regarding these displays. There just isn't.

If there was actual news, we'd be talking about it.

Thread "hijacking" is when you take an active discussion and derail it. There is nothing much going on here that's active. The IFA news was reported on and reacted to. Now what? Not much until there's product or another show or an actual press release from Samsung saying:

* When
* Where
* How much

I should add that as I mentioned back in January, I love Multi View. I think it's one of those features most people will use never, but some parents will use with their kids and some spouses will use together. It's a great example of where the lightning-fast refresh of OLED enables something that would've be unrealistic on LCD.

Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page