Comparing Costco's Current 55" TV's looking for suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-08-2012, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the market for a 55" TV and went to Costco today to see what they currently had. Below is the list of models currently available in my area (Austin, TX). I was hoping that I could get some thoughts and input on them from the people on this forum. Here are the models and their main highlights.

LG 55LV4400 - $899.99 - 3 HDMI inputs, TruMotion 120Hz, USB input

Vizio E551VA - $899.99 with $90 instant rebate until 1/17/12 - Internet Apps, Built in WiFi, 120Hz High Frame Rate, 4 HDMI inputs

Vizio M550SV - $1199.99 - Internet Apps, Built in WiFi, 4 HDMI inputs

Sony KDL-55EX621 - $1199.99 - Bravia Internet Streaming, WiFi adapter sold seperately, Edge Lit LED, 4 HDMI inputs

LG 55LW5700 - $1299.99 with $400 instant rebate until 1/31/12 - SmartTV, WiFi, 4 HDMI inputs, 4 Pair 3D glasses

Some things that stand out to me when I look at the specs. The LG 55LV4400 only has 3 HDMI inputs and no internet capabilities. The Vizio E551VA appears to be the only on that is LCD, the others are LED and it also has no internet capabilites. The Sony KDL-55EX621 is the only one with internet capabilites that doesn't have WiFi built in. The LG 55LW5700 is the only one that is 3D.

As far as what I am looking for. I am replacing a Phillips 47" TV. Actually the 47" will be going upstairs to replace an old rear projection TV, I purchased it at Costco 3 years ago and have really enjoyed it. I recently purchased a Sony soundbar for the room that the new 55" TV will go in. I know the Bravia has some syncing capabilities with it. Since I am using the Sony sound bar all of my HDMI devices (DirecTV, Blu-Ray and Xbox 360) are going through it so no real difference for me between 3 or 4 HDMI's. The LED TV's I think are thinner and lighter. I may be mounting this one on the wall, so that is a minor consideration. I am not really that interested in having 3D capabilities, don't like the glasses. I have network capabilities where the TV is so I would probably use them, but WiFi is not a necessity. I currently own a smaller Vizio TV and have been very happy with it.

I would like to stay below $1300 that all of these fall into. Next step seems to be around 1700 so a big jump. So hopefully I can get some thoughts and suggestions from the readers here. I am open to all information. Let me know if you have one of these models or a reason to get one of these over one of the others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-08-2012, 05:20 PM

Liked: 12
The LV4400 has some major limitations in performance and connections. I'd stay away from that one as it actually will have lower performance than a CCFL LCD. BTW, LED are LCD also just lit with LEDs instead of a Cold Cathode Florence Lamp. The LV4400 has only "1" shared component video/composite video input. So it's either one but not both which was a deal killer for me. The panel is not a IPS so it will have inferior contrast and colors. Also it is LED with no local dimming which will have a lot of clouding and flashlighting that local dimming diminishes.

Not heard the greatest about Visio but never experienced one either.

The LW5700 does not have local dimming so I wouldn't even consider this. This is not a standard LG model but a speciality model made with cheaper features. I would not buy this either as there's plenty downsides in not having local dimming that I mentioned, clouding/flashlighting and worse contrast ratio.

I've had Sony's in the past and while they usually perform good, they are overpriced for their name. Their performance can usually be had in another brand for far cheaper.

Also, I'd look for Passive 3D as Active has just to many disadvantages of flickering, jerkiness, causes headaches which I got from it, and 3D field breaks down unless viewing straight on. Passive 3D has none of these issues and the glasses cost only $10 compared to active glasses at $100.

Toshiba, LG, Visio are some that offer passive 3D.

I have the LG 47LW5600 and it's an awesome performing TV. Also look at the cheaper 47"/55" LW5300 series that loses smart functions/VOD services and IPS for a cheaper price. This looks like the inexpensive TV to beat.

Also stop limiting yourself to Costco. Try Sears, Best Buy, H.H. Greg, Walmart, Fry's, and others who actually carry the standard models for the major brands.

Good luck in whatever you buy.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-08-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I would simply please my own eyes with the TV screen I personally liked the most. The WiFi thing actually means nothing, if you have a hardwired network that is always the preferred connection. But practically every disk player and PVR and gaming console supports networked apps, I would not consider those important features for the TV itself.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #4 of 8 Old 01-09-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I only use one HDMI connection on my TV. Everything goes into the AVR, which does the switching. My AVR does networking, so my TV doesn't have to have any connection.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

First off LED are LCD tv's. I think you misunderstand the terms. LED tv are LCD's driven by LED either on the edges or in the back. For your money I would go with the LG 55LW5700, simply because backlighting can be enabled through a very simple remote hack into the EZ adjust menu. The model seem so to have all the bells and whistles you are looking for as well as the EZ adjust menu to get even better options only found on the higher end LG models. I myself have the LG 55lw5600 and have enabled THX calibrations that I love for pq. And like Oldschool said passive 3D is a better option if you are into having fewer hassles for 3D. I'm surprised that he didn't mention the EZ adjust hacks to enable local dimming... for more info on calibrations and hacks or just general reviews you should stop by the LG 47LW5600/55LW5600 owners thread.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
post #7 of 8 Old 01-09-2012, 07:47 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoatLantern View Post

I'm surprised that he didn't mention the EZ adjust hacks to enable local dimming... for more info on calibrations and hacks or just general reviews you should stop by the LG 47LW5600/55LW5600 owners thread.

I'm not fond of hacks. I think they may be disabled for various reasons that could relate to circuitry performance and longevity. I feel if LG or any maker, had the full functionality of a hidden feature, they'd enable it to have one over the competition. Just like Tuners in Trucks and Cars. They give a lot more horsepower and torque, but most tuners are detrimental to the longevity of the vehicle.

Not sure but these features might need more robust circuits, hense more expensive, to provide the features with reliability and longevity. Just my opinion.

I like to keep things stock, as engineered, designed, and sold.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-10-2012, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Normally I'd agree with you, but in this case the difference in having a spec and not is simply them "turning off" the feature on the factory floor. From my understanding the way LG produces their sets is one panel all features with the features disabled as you move to a lower price point.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page