post #31 of 35 Old 01-25-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck; View Post

This shootout was largely discredited. Some go so far as saying it was a PR pitch and fixed.

The **************** guy Robert Zohn , who organized the Shootout, was talking about one thing and one thing only -> Sharp Elite Pro. That is not a good attitude for such a event.

The guy who did the first Elite Pro review, seems to know the Sharp folks very well - Kevin Miller -, who was part of the Shootout team, claimed in the review that the yellow subpixel was turned of in THX-mode (this was not possible according to Sharp), Kevin Miller also claimed that the Elite Pro had perfect color ( wrong! The Elite Pro has a color isue).

I know Kevin Miller and Robert Zohn are respected guys but i do believe they should not have been part of the team because of their lack of neutrality

The HX929 incident is certainly suspect! One does not expect such a amateuristic behaviour from respected pro calibrators. 6 TVs, three pro-calibrators, how hard could that be
http://www.cnet.com/8705-4_1-0.html?...ag=mncol;tback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 01-26-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

You obviously do not find this among the Elite cult followers . Look at the Sony HX fora. You will even find there people which replaced Elite with Sony.

At the shootout they presented blatantly wrong data for the HX black level. When somebody noticed there must be something wrong, they rechecked and corrected them later but wrong message was spread out and still the data are looking suspicious. Besides, at the time of shootout only the Sony 55 incher was available. But soon there appeared the actual Sony flagship which is 65" HX, it looks like they wanted to make the shootout be4 it appears. This is not a minor issue if the Sony 55" or 65" was used since Sony is not making own panels so the 65" panel is not the same build as 55".

The fair shootout should be between the 60" and 70" Elite and Sony 65" HX. Nobody dared to do it.

Notice I am not saying Sony 65" is better. I agree Elite is better but not distantly better. There are some visual aspects in which Sony is hard to beat and some aspects of Sharp which are better but they do not matter so much for viewers.

Thus, I advice everybody who asks for the best @no-price-aksed to look among those three models.

you are correct, i have/had both Randy is going by what he has seen heard at the shootout w/ the 55". i had the elite both sizes, and yes very good but huge pulsing issues could not deal with it. bought a 65HX929 awesome set, but uniformity issues(vertical bands) is causing me to return it. sony has better vp and better cosmetics. elite wins in overall contrast/black levels, but not by much.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #33 of 35 Old 01-28-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

you are correct, i have/had both Randy is going by what he has seen heard at the shootout w/ the 55". i had the elite both sizes, and yes very good but huge pulsing issues could not deal with it. bought a 65HX929 awesome set, but uniformity issues(vertical bands) is causing me to return it. sony has better vp and better cosmetics. elite wins in overall contrast/black levels, but not by much.

Your opinion seems to be most balanced one can find. These sets are not ideal and particular samples are varying. People claim e.g. they got 65HX with no banding and DSE. All in all, there are only those 3 sets to choose among, see them in person and decide.

BTW, you had Elite and you are returing Sony. Waiting for the coming crop of sets hoping to find your ideal?

irkuck
post #34 of 35 Old 01-29-2012, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any other tv besides Sony HX929 65" which I can consider for my family?
Here is my criteria:
1. Budget $2500
2. Size 65"
3. Technology: preferably LCD

If there is nothing out there that can come close to Sony, is it worth to wait for price to fall around 3k.
post #35 of 35 Old 01-29-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.agarwal View Post

Is there any other tv besides Sony HX929 65" which I can consider for my family?
Here is my criteria:
1. Budget $2500
2. Size 65"
3. Technology: preferably LCD

If there is nothing out there that can come close to Sony, is it worth to wait for price to fall around 3k.

Sorry, you posted into wrong thread. This threat is about PQ-wise best TV one can buy today with no price limit.

irkuck
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page