AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 190
^^ it was last years statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters; View Post

Exactly one year ago at CES 2011, a Samsung executive stated in an interview that Samsung expects to continue making Plasma TV for at least the next ten years so it's nice to see that they're still sticking to last year's statement. But that's not to say that other unexpected factors may cause the Plasma makers to discontinue them earlier than expected.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 Old 01-18-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 60
It is amazing how easily people are hooked on PR. Get real guys: Which manuf would say plasma is out next year so don't buy it? They will always say it will last next 10ys just simply because this is the smallest double digit number and that looks credible . Cold facts are that 1. Major plasma player Panasonic is scaling back on plasma and closing part of manufacturing, 2. Last year LCD took over plasma on size which is major blow. Plasma is on its death spiral.

irkuck
post #33 of 60 Old 01-18-2012, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielo TM View Post

IPS panel with TW-Pol has perfect viewing angles

You keep making my point. Yet another hoop LCD needs to jump through, just to get the viewing angle of any cheap PDP. How about response time?

Quote:

Every tech has its neg points but that doesn't mean its flawed

LCD is flawed because it's too complicated (and costly) to make a set that just competes with a PDP. That's why it is flawed. FWIW PDP is also flawed, but not to the extent of LCD.

I keep coming back to my original point, simple is better. The tech that will have the LEAST flaws, and will be the do all end all is ILED.
post #34 of 60 Old 01-18-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post

But with OLED around the corner Plasma's days are limited as it's a drop in replacement for plasma.

Why are we assuming it's the drop in replacement for PDP instead of LCD?
post #35 of 60 Old 01-18-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post

Precisely.

That said, as I've noted elsewhere, plasma R&D is not going to get the attention going forward -- nor has it been for some time -- and the technology will begin to wither.

I'd still buy one now... next year... through 2015. I doubt, personally, I'd buy one in 2017, even if it were for sale -- unless something dramatic happened to show that someone were far more committed to it than they have shown of late.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #36 of 60 Old 01-18-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Who is this person at Samsung who made the Plasma prediction? What is their ranking in the company, and does that person have any other purpose in saying that Plasma will be in their lineup for years to come, other than to try and assure would be customers not to be afraid to purchase their current Plasma panels?

FWIW, see my sig for last year's prediction

"... we wonÂt be stopping plasma production any time soon. We see it going on for another ten years." -- Kevin Lee, VP, Smart TV Partnerships (Samsung), 1/7/11
post #37 of 60 Old 01-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post

OLED will still be vulnerable to screen burn in. Plasma and OLED are the most similar in terms of screen personality. Each sub-pixel is it's own source of light, best off angle viewing, excellent motion/subpixel response time and of course image retention.

There's a reason you don't see plasma used anymore for stuff that displays static images.

Any establishment that uses a screen for their menus/schedules/signs will not be using OLED since it'll burn in. LCD will still be the right choice for a lot of this stuff. Including desktop monitors until they can improve OLED dramatically.

LCD isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Plasma is done once (if, hopefully) OLED gets going. Almost everyone is already scaling back their plasma manufacturing. You don't see many people saying the same about their LCD plants.

If OLED falls on it's face then things might change, but I don't see that happening. And why would you want a plasma once OLED is out and prices are down? There still are reasons to use LCD.

I'll prepare for the "don't dump your plama TV yet" thread... maybe it can be stickied next to the "don't dump your CRT RPTV" thread

-SiGGy
post #38 of 60 Old 01-18-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You don't see many people saying the same about their LCD plans.

Samsung has already scaled back their mobile-device LCD a great deal, actually.

And Samsung and LG will both scale back LCD almost 1:1 for every OLED they produce.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #39 of 60 Old 01-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Samsung has already scaled back their mobile-device LCD a great deal, actually.

And Samsung and LG will both scale back LCD almost 1:1 for every OLED they produce.

Ya, some of the mobile stuff has nearly reached it's peak in terms of quantity sold per quarter. So that would make sense, I would think the tablet sized screens are what's booming now.

-SiGGy
post #40 of 60 Old 01-18-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ya, some of the mobile stuff has nearly reached it's peak in terms of quantity sold per quarter. So that would make sense, I would think the tablet sized screens are what's booming now.

I suspect over the next 24 months Samsung will move the bulk of their tablet screens over to OLED too. And they may yet win Apple over to the technology if someone else proves to be a second source.

post #41 of 60 Old 01-19-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Just to add to the covo. LCD is not a flawed technology. They have the ability to match or exceed PDPs. But most consumer manufactures take shortcuts and reduce quality control in order to increase yield and cut cost. Edge-LED just made everything worse a lot more.

Poor off-axis picture quality is a problem with all LCDs. I like LCDs for my computer monitor because I'm always centered on the screen.
post #42 of 60 Old 01-19-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Actually IPS with TW-Poz has perfect viewing angle. NEC's own panel tech yields wide viewing angles. The ones used in TVs and consumer monitors are low-grade panels
post #43 of 60 Old 01-19-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I'm still bothered with Samsung making exactly the same Plasma future prediction as they did at CES 2011. I wonder how many meetings that took
post #44 of 60 Old 01-20-2012, 07:17 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

It is amazing how easily people are hooked on PR. Get real guys: Which manuf would say plasma is out next year so don't buy it? They will always say it will last next 10ys just simply because this is the smallest double digit number and that looks credible . Cold facts are that 1. Major plasma player Panasonic is scaling back on plasma and closing part of manufacturing

More specifically, they're scaling back on R&D, not Plasma in general. And they're closing that plant because they've reduced the number of different models and eliminating some of their 720p models and eliminating the 46" size completely. They're consolidating production, that's all.

Quote:
2. Last year LCD took over plasma on size which is major blow.

Big whoop. Sharp is making an 80 incher that looks like crap compared to a Plasma, and their only good one is the Elite which costs about twice what a 5" smaller Plasma costs that only really beats in in black level. Hardly a "major blow" to Plasma as the larger-than-65" market is miniscule compared to the 50"-60" market.

Quote:
Plasma is on its death spiral.

Death spiral? No. Not yet at least. Samsung, who's primary focus is LED & LCD and who cares less about Plasma than Panasonic does, is planning to continue Plasmas for at least ten more years. Panasonic is comparatively way more heavily invested in Plasma than Samsung is so i could see Panasonic continuing Plasma production well after Samsung discontinues them.

The advent of OLED could certainly replace Plasma sooner than 10 years, but it could also turn out to NOT be a viable replacement for Plasma in the 50"-60" market where most of the Plasma market share is.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #45 of 60 Old 01-20-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I've always been a plasma guy but to say the Sharp 80" looks like crap compared to plasma is kind of unfair. Comparing 2D I agree that the 80" is not up to the PQ of the ST/GT/VT but not too far from Panny's 2D displays. Keep in mind that all manufactures are targeting the masses and most people looking for a big screen will be comparing the Sharp 70"ers to the plasma 64/65"ers. Many will equate PQ giving brightness a big portion of their final grade. I'm not saying that they are correct in this assumption but the eyes want what the eyes want.
post #46 of 60 Old 01-20-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Fact remains, there will be a better Sharp 80" this year -- and a better one the year after that. Their might even be an Elite 80". Sharp has 100% market share of consumer panels at 70" and up in almost every market (save for perhaps Dubai and Korea).

Even if Panasonic ships a 70" this year, it's not going to radically alter the fact that Sharp is dominating that space.

post #47 of 60 Old 01-21-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
The only attraction to 60" plus plasmas for non-videophiles used to be the price advantage, but with the exception of the 60" Zenith (entry level LG) one can get a similarly sized Sharp Led/LCD for within $100 of the plasma.

Right now the only real sweet spot for plasma, price wise, is entry-level 50" models.

Steve S.
post #48 of 60 Old 01-21-2012, 09:03 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

Motion resolution, gaming input lag, 3D ghosting, and off-axis viewing problems are still major factors. Other LCD issues include clouding, and screen door effect, which some people find unacceptable.
Michael

I think it's all what you find acceptable. I didn't care for Plasma because of it's failings compared to LED LCD w/local dimming. I found the Plasma I had was troubled with Image retention, lack of brightness, dithering noise, poorer black level than my LED LCD TV, brightness strobing/flicker due to the ABL circuit, highly reflective screen worse than my previous CRT, a LOT of heat output, and high current (50" plasma) use next to my 36" CRT TV and 47" LED LCD.

My set with local dimming doesn't have clouding when it's enabled. I do get a bit of blooming (flashlighting) in rare screens that have a completely black screen with one or two words in bright white, centered. I also get DSE that I'm not fond of but Plasma gets this as well, and Image Retention will cause the same affect with panning backgrounds.

We picked out a Plasma 50" for my friend, a Panasonic 50ST30. I was going by salesman's bias and other plasma bias when we purchased his set. He's not a videophile and was really happy with the picture. It is a very nice picture.

I then bought the LG 50" 50PV450 and was bothered within the first 10 minutes with light strobing and flickering. I had all processing off including dynamic contrast and the room light sensor sensor/ eco setting. I went straight to the neutral settings and found this issue to be an affect of the ABL circuit limiting brightness output to keep from overdriving the power supply. The black level on the LGs are not good so it was a lot brighter than my LG LED LCD which has a black level measured down to perfect black by PCmag.

I also noticed the flickering/strobing on the Panasonic ST30 series after I seen it on my LG Plasma.

So with the Panasonic ST30, the negatives are the brightness strobing/flickering, lower brightness output, Image Retention, dithering, reflective screen, and IMO active 3D that I hate.

With my LG 47LW5600, the negatives are some minor blooming/flashlighting and the DSE. BTW, I have great off center viewing angles thanks to the IPS panel. No screen door effect here as that's a problem with LCD Rear Projection TVs that are already obsolete.

After trying both, and I consider myself a videophile, I feel the LCD is a better fit because the strobing/flickering drove me nuts along with the image retention and reflective screen. I found no problem with motion with the LCD although both the LCD and Plasma weren't nearly as good as my previous CRT JVC AV-36D302 TV.

Both sets have very good color, white level, and contrast. Both had punch but I do like a brighter screen that CRT and LCD give you.

On cost wise, both the Panasonic 50ST30 and the LG 47LW5600 sell at the same price but the LG is a smart TV while the ST30 is a VOD TV without the smart features.

I think these TVs are very compariable in performance with the edge going to the LG.

I heard that many of the makers are coming out with better circuit boards to make the flickering/strobing brightness less bothersome while coming out with brighter output. I really don't know if that's enough for most to consider Plasma over LCD with Plasma's high power useage, higher heat output, much heavier weight, and much thicker cabinet. With performance being a wash between the 2 technologies, only nit pickers who can be driven nuts by one anomaly, yet not another, will prefer one technology over the other based on that techologies performance instead of the individual TV's performance.

Power useage, weight and size may put the Plasma technology behind LCD making it's end, seen in the upcoming future.

I had thought Plasma was already dead then they finally came out with 1080p models.
post #49 of 60 Old 01-21-2012, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

ATM, PDPs have LCDs beat in all aspects of picture quality. LCDs could overtake PDP if manufactures were to improve the quality control of the LCD modules.

After reviewing and experiencing several LCDs over the past few years (including ultra high-end models), it is my opinion that obtaining panel free of issue is next to slim/impossible. It is also difficult to rate LCDs since the problems varies between individual unites. So yours maybe free from most common issues but that doesn't mean it applies to the entire range.

With plasma, the quality variations between individual units are very stable. So if you buy multiple unites of the same model, chances they will all preform identically. In addition, the majority of PDPs have lower input lag, which is crucial for games.

PS: If you're after flciker free, bright plasma with clean image, then opt for Samsung. Most people opt for Panasonic because of its blacks.

PPS: With PDPs, there's no panel or processor lottery to worry about either. It also be slimed to match the thinnest LCDs without compromising image quality. I don't know if you've noticed but the quality of LCDs have dipped since the introduction of Edge-LCDs.
post #50 of 60 Old 01-21-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:

It is also difficult to rate LCDs since the problems varies between individual unites. So yours maybe free from most common issues but that doesn't mean it applies to the entire range.

I just installed another 47LW5600 for my father in law and his set performs really good as well, even without the firmware updates.

Quote:

In addition, the majority of PDPs have lower input lag, which is crucial for games.

With many LCDs, putting it into game mode will bypass the processing, eliminating lag. Even so with lag, image retention on Plasma is so bad I would not want to play video games or use a PC on them. With image retention so bad, burn in is not far behind and I simply would not want to ruin the TV by using video games or a PC.

Quote:

PS: If you're after flciker free, bright plasma with clean image, then opt for Samsung. Most people opt for Panasonic because of its blacks.

Samsung seems to have the flickering/strobing the worse. There's a dedicated thread for Samsung's brightness POPs.

Quote:

PPS: With PDPs, there's no panel or processor lottery to worry about either.

When comparing LED LCDs that go against the 3D 1080P Plasma models, there isn't a panel lottery as these LED LCDs have a determined panel. With LG, it's their IPS panel.

Quote:

I don't know if you've noticed but the quality of LCDs have dipped since the introduction of Edge-LCDs.

Actually I've noticed just the opposite. I have had 3 CCFL LCD TVs in the house before the new LG 47LW5600 and I have been disappointed by their performance. In fact that is why I kept my main CRT TV until now. With the Edge Lit LED models that offer local dimming, clouding is gone, blooming is minimal, colors are bright and accurate, blacks are BLACK, and off center viewing angles offer deep saturated colors and black. It's only now with LED LCD w/local dimming, where I feel that flat panel TVs offer advantages over high performance CRT TVs.

I guess we'll agree to disagree.
post #51 of 60 Old 01-22-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

On majority of LCD models Game Mode doesn't reduce lag to acceptable levels and there's no way to completely bypass the processing.

I've recently got the 42G30 and IR is not a problem and I treat it like an LCD (force of habit). So I'm not sure what the fuss is.

None of the Samsung plasmas flicker (even when displaying full white). They drive the panels differently to Panasonic. So believe the cause of Panasonic flicker is due to short stroke of the phosphors to save energy.

Actually no. LG are forced to use their own panel due to its Passive Format, but the same doesn't apply to other brands. AUO, CMI, Sharp and Samsung all produce VA panels and brands such as Samsung, Tosh etc. are all known to use various panels.

Edge-LED doesn't offer anything more than CCFL (except for reduction is power). 2010 Samsung CCFL S-PVA panel yielded 0.03 blacks without dimming. They matched the black levels of the Panasonic PDP and as for the colors, CCFL was already producing 709 standard to perfection.

All Edge-LED added was blooming, reduced viewing angle, coneing in some models, trailing due to frequency mismatch and clouding.

Your LG TV is fitted with an IPS panel, which has poor black levels. In fact its 6-7 times worse than Panasonic plasma and 3-5 times worse than VA panel. So in order to reduce the black level, LG implemented 16 zone dimming (8 at the top and 8 at the bottom), but the LEDs have to dim quite low to match the black level, but by doing so it destroys color accuracy. The Zones also cover large area to haloing is visible when viewed in dark room.
post #52 of 60 Old 01-22-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

some of the issues stated above are not the fault of the LCD tech itself. IT's is solely down to how it was implemented.
post #53 of 60 Old 01-22-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:

None of the Samsung plasmas flicker (even when displaying full white).

I think this link will show opposition to your statement.

Quote:

Actually no. LG are forced to use their own panel due to its Passive Format, but the same doesn't apply to other brands. AUO, CMI, Sharp and Samsung all produce VA panels and brands such as Samsung, Tosh etc. are all known to use various panels.

They aren't forced to do anything. The passive format is a benefit over the active format. LG released a statement recently that they would use passive panels on their Plasmas but because of the technology with plasma, it's way to expensive to use at this point. So they continue to use active 3D on their plasma for now.

Quote:

Edge-LED doesn't offer anything more than CCFL (except for reduction is power). 2010 Samsung CCFL S-PVA panel yielded 0.03 blacks without dimming. They matched the black levels of the Panasonic PDP and as for the colors, CCFL was already producing 709 standard to perfection.

All Edge-LED added was blooming, reduced viewing angle, coneing in some models, trailing due to frequency mismatch and clouding.

That is a rare RARE case for CCFL TVs. And for a price point, those TVs were well over $2,000.00 for their 52", as my father in law has the Samsung LN52B750 along with the 47LW5600. BTW, he's much more impressed with the 47LW5600 though and hasn't even used the 3D yet.

Quote:

Your LG TV is fitted with an IPS panel, which has poor black levels. In fact its 6-7 times worse than Panasonic plasma and 3-5 times worse than VA panel. So in order to reduce the black level, LG implemented 16 zone dimming (8 at the top and 8 at the bottom), but the LEDs have to dim quite low to match the black level, but by doing so it destroys color accuracy. The Zones also cover large area to haloing is visible when viewed in dark room.

Your not accurate in your statement at all. See this here, "After a basic darkroom calibration using the DisplayMate diagnostic software, the 47LW5600 delivered a black level reading of 0.01 cd/m2, which is outstanding for any HDTV, and especially so for an edge-lit LED panel. Additionally, LG's local dimming technology did a great job of controlling black and white levels while keeping artifacts like haloing at bay. Color accuracy was excellent."

LED LCDs with local dimming have become the performance champs after a 'short time tweeking the technology' compared to CCFL LCD and Plasma. Without local dimming, there's not much advantage over CCFL , but with local dimming, it's a night and day difference. BTW, I've also read excellent reviews for Edge Lit LED LCD TVs with local dimming from Samsung and Sony TVs as well, so this is the norm for the models with local dimming.

Like I said, we should just agree to disagree.

I don't want to continue this on a plasma end of life thread so if you want to continue this, please PM me so the thread can get back to topic.

With the excellent performance coming from Edgle Lit LED LCD with local dimming now, I can see Plasma as having a shorter life. There's not much more that Plasma can do to better itself. Even with new circuit boards to combat the flickering/strobing and better light output, there's still the case with more power consumption, more heat, larger cabinet, and much heavier TV. To most joe six packs, this means more than performance that they wouldn't be concerned with anyhow. I've set up several home theater systems for poeple and was astonished to see such poor performance on their previous setup due to cable interference or incorrect adjustments and setups, but they were OK with that. Most only went to a new setup for surround sound, or High Definition, or larger screen, not higher performance. There's a lot more Joe Six Packs out there than Videophiles.
post #54 of 60 Old 01-22-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMETAL View Post

I think this link will show opposition to your statement.

That's not flicker.

Quote:

They aren't forced to do anything. The passive format is a benefit over the active format. LG released a statement recently that they would use passive panels on their Plasmas but because of the technology with plasma, it's way to expensive to use at this point. So they continue to use active 3D on their plasma for now.

LG are forced to use their own panel because none of other panel vendors support the Passive System as it inferior to Active in terms of image quality. So they can't use any other panel.

Quote:

That is a rare RARE case for CCFL TVs. And for a price point, those TVs were well over $2,000.00 for their 52", as my father in law has the LN52B750 along with the 47LW5600. BTW, he's much more impressed with the 47LW5600 though and hasn't even used the 3D yet.

Far from it

The 40C580 (retailed for ~£400) had such panel. I was lucky enough to review one and I bought it soon after.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsu...0100728791.htm

Deep blacks are no longer exclusive to expensive panel.

Quote:

Your not accurate in your statement at all. See this here, "After a basic darkroom calibration using the DisplayMate diagnostic software, the 47LW5600 delivered a black level reading of 0.01 cd/m2, which is outstanding for any HDTV, and especially so for an edge-lit LED panel. Additionally, LG's local dimming technology did a great job of controlling black and white levels while keeping artifacts like haloing at bay. Color accuracy was excellent."

Those aren't ANSI value. That's dynamic range and CCFLs did the same thing then Backlight dimming is enabled. The only difference was CCFL dims the whole screen while Edge-LED dims certain zones. But 16 Zones is not enough. You'll need 200+ zones with LEDs located behind the panel. Even then, color accuracy goes out the window because when you dim the panel, RGB luma drops because there isn't enough light to maintain it.

VA panels get away with it because they are already capable of producing native blacks of 0.04 cd/m2

PS: I don't trust sites such as pcmag.com since they don't produce any technical info (how it is tested and such)

Quote:

LED LCDs with local dimming have become the performance champs after a 'short time tweeking the technology' compared to CCFL LCD and Plasma. Without local dimming, there's not much advantage over CCFL , but with local dimming, it's a night and day difference. BTW, I've also read excellent reviews for Edge Lit LED LCD TVs with local dimming from Samsung and Sony TVs as well, so this is the norm for the models with local dimming.

Like I said, we should just agree to disagree.

LED backlight dimming with VA panel Yes

LED Backlight dimming with IPS panel Only the very high-end but eben then

Edge-LED dimming, it's complete joke ATM
post #55 of 60 Old 01-22-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

ATM, Plasma has the lead when it comes to image quality, which is why Samsung and Panasonic are continuing to invest in the technology.

Until they can solve the issues with LCDs in an economic way, Plasma will continue to outshine.
post #56 of 60 Old 01-23-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ Wow Nielo your view has certainly changed much

In any case I think Panny & Sammy are not investing much into the plasma PANEL itself. Panny just shut their P5 plant and SDI hardly talk about plasmas nowadays.

But back end engine will likely continue to improve incrementally with LCD engine.
post #57 of 60 Old 01-23-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I did believe in LCD tech when it was actually getting better and better. The Samsung 2010 stunned everyone but now the quality seem to have gone down hill.

Even though Samsung don't talk about the plasma panel, they are aggressively improving it every year. ATM Samsung has over taken Panasonic in all areas except black levels. But the 60+ model are very close to the VT30.

To me it seems LCD is more of an aesthetics product where plasma is more of performance grade product. At least that's how they are marketed these days.
post #58 of 60 Old 01-23-2012, 04:16 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Yeah, it kinda sucks when local dimming LED LCDs are having faster death than plasmas. I chose plasma as my main display because of response time. Coming from a CRT, I was actually fond of flickers from plasma, very CRT like. They weren't even as aggressive as CRTs were, explaining why even plasmas have a long way to go before matching CRT's response time. My LG plasma didn't even exhibit a noticable phosphor lag so I was pretty happy with plasma's response time.

I do wish plasmas have less aggressive APLs and more brightness to match at least a CRT. I do like LCDs for providing stable contrast, but I ultimately had to go with plasma because I value response time over superior whites.

Though it seems so many people are having problems with PV400/450 when I had used its 720p version and did not suffer from PV450's usual problems. I do take an issue with LG plasma's terrible black, which is why black mods are a must.
post #59 of 60 Old 01-23-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure if LG actually cares about PDP tech.
post #60 of 60 Old 01-23-2012, 04:58 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 88
They don't. Clearly, there's not much R&D going on anymore. LG recently had a press conference in Korea showing off their 2012 lineups and not a single plasma was there...oh wait, there was JUST one pen-touch plasma, but they didn't even call it a 'PDP', just a 'Pen Touch TV' lol

http://dvdprime.donga.com/bbs/view.a...2059536&page=1

They proudly sported '2012 CES Innovation' logo next to LM8600 and LM9600, but did not do the same to their plasma model which also got CES Innovation award.

Last year's LG plasma line-ups were more or less refreshments of PK lineups and they weren't even as good as PK550. I'm sure they're more concerned with fixing their own issues (line noise,dancing pixels,IR,PWM noise) than picture quality, but that's ok to me because all LG plasmas' MLLs can be tweaked and they already have pretty good colors, so I'd say LG is right on the money for trying to fix their issues first. As long as they position themselves as a cheaper alternatives to Samsung and Panasonic, I'd say they're good to go. My modded PT350 did not suffer from brightness fluctuations and buzzing from Samsung, or green blobs and dithering noise from Panasonic. (I kinda like dithering from Pioneer and Panasonic, it gives off unique plasma look, so it's a wash)
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page