AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

It's a what: Consumer Reports.

I don't trust CR at all but hopefully they are right about the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 02-07-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

It looks like the VT panasonics may arrive in May in the US. There is some info on the Japanese counterpart models here - http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/07/p...t-et-and-acce/

Hopefully we'll get some info on the OLEDs soon.
post #33 of 50 Old 02-07-2012, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I expect oled to have some growing pains and I personally plan to avoid them.
post #34 of 50 Old 02-07-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastperf View Post

I suppose but Panasonic bought Pioneer's tech a number of years ago and they still don't have it right yet. I imagine if the Kuro Plasmas were still made by Pioneer, I would less interest in OLED than I do. But many still question if Panasonic really has resolved their rising blacks, floating blacks, buzzing issues etc and they've been at it for year. I'm not saying OLEDs won't have issues as well but since Panasonic denied their rising and floating black issues for years, it is hard for me to get any warm fuzzies on new TVs from them.
post #35 of 50 Old 02-13-2012, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Anyone know what the next tech event is where Samsung might have some more info on their OLED TV?
post #36 of 50 Old 02-13-2012, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

I suppose but Panasonic bought Pioneer's tech a number of years ago and they still don't have it right yet. I imagine if the Kuro Plasmas were still made by Pioneer, I would less interest in OLED than I do. But many still question if Panasonic really has resolved their rising blacks, floating blacks, buzzing issues etc and they've been at it for year. I'm not saying OLEDs won't have issues as well but since Panasonic denied their rising and floating black issues for years, it is hard for me to get any warm fuzzies on new TVs from them.

If Pioneer still made Kuro, you wouldn't want an OLED.

12G Kuro *shudder*

I believe the VT50 and the new OLED panels will be closer than people think, unless we're critically evaluating every little detail.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #37 of 50 Old 02-13-2012, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post

12G Kuro *shudder*

I think if we had 12G Kuro's available today, the black levels would insanely intense and they'd have strong gravitational fields. The Kuro's would probably be 4K res and they'd have an 80" model available. Panasonic, you sloth disgusts me
post #38 of 50 Old 02-13-2012, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:

12G Kuro *shudder*

Speak for yourself.

The only good things about the Kuros were that they had good black levels and were one of the first displays to have a good CMS. (the CMS controls they had were awful, but the preset gamut was good)

They had motion handling problems, used a lot of dithering, were power hungry, had an aggressive ABL, high input lag, processed in 4:2:2 (if I recall correctly) couldn't handle bright ambient light at all, had gradation problems at anything other than 60Hz, flickered... need I go on?

OLED is a big step up over any hypothetical plasma with perfect black levels.

Quote:

I believe the VT50 and the new OLED panels will be closer than people think, unless we're critically evaluating every little detail.

Sure, if you're in a dimly lit room (not too dark, or too bright, to expose the Plasma black level issues) and don't look too closely at the image quality...
post #39 of 50 Old 02-13-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Chronoptimist is forever anti-Kuro

But again OLED and plasma are very different in structure. It is likely that Plasma has hit technical limits around the legendary "zero black" 10G Kuro.

In a bright room, I don't think VT50 can match LG's RGBW. That's unfair marketing but that's also reality.

Quote:

12G Kuro *shudder*

post #40 of 50 Old 02-13-2012, 08:49 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

I can live with 55" in the bedroom. I won't replace my 65" in my living room until an 80" 4K OLED or a significantly improved plasma or LED is available. I don't like the movement or look of LED colors. I think the current VT30 still leaves much to be desired compared to a 5 year old KURO. That leaves OLED - haven't seen the new set yet so I don't know if it will be great but I sure hope so as the set in my bedroom is dying and I want to replace it soon.

Oh my!!
post #41 of 50 Old 02-13-2012, 10:12 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

Sure, if you're in a dimly lit room (not too dark, or too bright, to expose the Plasma black level issues) and don't look too closely at the image quality...

Ohh no some one found out about my perfect TV room you forgot to mention also no matter where you are you are always 8' from the TV and at perfect eye level.

Oled wins.
post #42 of 50 Old 02-23-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastperf View Post

I suspect you're right as most new technologies go through a rough patch b4 becoming status quo. I'm going to give it awhile - then jump in.
post #43 of 50 Old 02-23-2012, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

That's not going to happen.

They have to wait for someone else to bring it out and then go steal the tech from them.

On the bright side, they do improve on the stolen tech.

....and I am kidding.

I know, but people keep saying this and that they have bad business practices. The people saying things like this are just parroting the calibrator on here with the big EGO. I had issues with my Samsung, in the end they sent me a refund check. If they didn't that would be bad business practices. Patent infringement has nothing to do with business practices, it's an ethical matter. And anyone who reads the news will see basically *everyone* is in one of these patent battles at some point. The more success you have the better your odds

Take a good look at Panasonic's 2012's LCD and Plasma line. You can see it was inspired by 2011 Samsung designs. As well from some of LG's design work.

Samsung also went with bluetooth IR glasses in 2011, Panasonic followed in 2012
Samsung offers a modular TV upgrade feature this year
Samsung has built in cameras

Samsung does innovate and tries to stylize, and at the same time made a better plasma last year. The 2011 Samsung is considered the new reference for color. It had excellent gamma, brightness. And it had FAR less PWM noise than the VT30. They also managed to fix their two major issues last year. AR coating peeling and the floating brightness. If you managed wait out the FBR fix you have an excellent TV!

To me Panasonic is the general motors of the 1980's. Hopefully they make a good corvette this year.

Both Samsung and LG's OLED stuff looks promising. Everyone's plasma offerings look promising as well. I'm glad threads like this exist. People should be buying the OLED to check it out. I believe thinking the VT50 is going to be some nicely refined well thought out polished product is forgetting Panasonic's recent history. Samsung on the other hand really only has to drop their blacks a tiny tiny bit and they've arrived; speaking for today's plasma standards.

-SiGGy
post #44 of 50 Old 02-23-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post

I know but people keep saying this and that they have bad business practices. Which is just parroting the one calibrator on here with the largest EGO.

Take a good look at Panasonic's 2012's LCD and Plasma line. You can see it was inspired by 2011 Samsung designs. As well from some of LG's design work.

Samsung also went with bluetooth IR glasses in 2011, Panasonic followed in 2012
Samsung offers a modular TV upgrade feature this year
Samsung has built in cameras

Samsung does innovate and tries to stylize, and at the same time made a better plasma last year. The 2011 Samsung is considered the new reference for color. It had excellent gamma, brightness. And it had FAR less PWM noise than the VT30. They also managed to fix their two major issues last year. AR coating peeling and the floating brightness. If you managed wait out the FBR fix you have an excellent TV!

To me Panasonic is the general motors of the 1980's. Hopefully they make a good corvette this year.

Both Samsung and LG's OLED stuff looks promising. I'm glad threads like this exist. People should be buying the OLED to check it out. I believe thinking the VT50 is going to be some nicely refined well thought out polished product is forgetting Panasonic's recent history. Samsung on the other hand really only has to drop their blacks a tiny tiny bit and they've arrived.

Yep, just lower those blacks a little and they've arrived. My friends Sammy plasma is in the other room so I can concentrate over the buzzing. At least when they Arrive you'll hear them coming.
post #45 of 50 Old 02-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Yep, just lower those blacks a little and they've arrived. My friends Sammy plasma is in the other room so I can concentrate over the buzzing. At least when they Arrive you'll hear them coming.

haha

ya, they do make a very directional electrostatic sound that almost sounds like a bug zapper. But the perception of it is very subjective to the rooms acoustic properties and placement of the TV. When I had my D8000 last year I had to get the screen replaced because it peeled. They replaced it. Then I saw the floating brightness. They thought they could fix it swapping TVs so I tried some more. I ended up trying 5 D8000's (only one had a physical flaw, rest was software they didn't have a fix for yet). Anyway, my point is NONE of them made this huge annoying sound in my situation.

So yes, if you happen to have a room/mounting situation that exacerbates this issue it would be annoying. And I could see not keeping the TV. But it's not an all or nothing thing like you're trying to say.

p.s.

All of my Panasonic's have this same buzz. The only one where it was less noticeable was the VT30 do to it's extra bonded glass, in fact I couldn't hear it unless I was right at the TV. But that was the *ONLY* thing the VT30 did right for me and I returned it.

So from your perspective. They need to drop the blacks a tiny bit and re-engineer the panel so it doesn't resonate that sound. And I'd agree...

So revise my last sentence to "drop the blacks a bit and get rid of the buzzing"

-SiGGy
post #46 of 50 Old 03-13-2012, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Just hoping we see some new info soon from either OLED mfr.
post #47 of 50 Old 03-15-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I just replaced my perfect working 5020 Kuro for a 65VT30. I hope by the time i'm ready to flip the vt30 OLED will be ready for primetime and cost come down. 2 to 3 years is about as long i will keep a display.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #48 of 50 Old 03-16-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post

I just replaced my perfect working 5020 Kuro for a 65VT30. I hope by the time i'm ready to flip the vt30 OLED will be ready for primetime and cost come down. 2 to 3 years is about as long i will keep a display.

Um... So what'd you do with the kuro??

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #49 of 50 Old 03-17-2012, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Um... So what'd you do with the kuro??

Sold it to DNice. He said it's one of the best 5020's he has seen.

Been very happy with my new 65vt30, just lacks that Kuro pop. If OLED is leaps better than my Kuro then i am ready to jump.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #50 of 50 Old 03-17-2012, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
OLED is leaps, but will the TVs everyone makes live up to the promise?

Sony has shown what a proper OLED can do. Unfortunatly that set costs a billion dollars (or it might as well to me)

I think we will have to come up with a new term for OLED over "Pop". Maybe "Explode"? or "Eyegasm"? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post

Sold it to DNice. He said it's one of the best 5020's he has seen.

Been very happy with my new 65vt30, just lacks that Kuro pop. If OLED is leaps better than my Kuro then i am ready to jump.

buytme
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page