Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 01-24-2012, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I realize this is the first year we are seeing OLEDs big enough to care about and that the technology is new and probably very expensive. I'm still considering it. I didn't make it to CES this year but when the Samsung comes out, I'll want to see it.

I was planning on getting the Panasonic VT50 65" this year for the bedroom but I might want to check out the Samsung before making a decision. AVsforumsTV didn't exactly seem thrilled with the difference between this years Panasonic VT and last years. Hopefully they were just showing bad source material or they weren't well calibrated. I wasn't thrilled with last years VT30 so I held off hoping this year it would be enough of an improvement.

If there is a HUGE difference between the Samsung and the Panasonic to my eyes and the Samsung is under $8K (out the door) I'll probably go with the Samsung. That would be a big difference in price but if the quality IS actually good enough I'll open my wallet.

I would have prefered at 65" screen but not if the PQ isn't at least as good as some TVs that were made years ago.

I have no idea if the Samsung Amoled's will be all that but I have hopes they will be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 01-24-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Have they announced any potential launch dates (or years) or prices for these new OLED displays yet?

My only experience with OLED was a Samsung cell phone on which the display failed after 9 months... a god-send as the amount of what I would term 'burn-in' was making it hard to read. Personally, I wouldn't want to be on the bleeding edge of this technology. My recommendation: appreciate what is available today and worry about tomorrow when it arrives. I'm sure we have a few good years of the current tech left.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #3 of 50 Old 01-24-2012, 11:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I would be inclined to go with a more mature technology but the VT50, with it being an all new display from the phosphers up may not be the one to get. You really have to wait to see how well it performs or just go with a VT30 and call it a day.

I know that there will be those who buy into first generation OLED but geeze, that like shooting your own foot off when you don't have to. You can easily predict the tone of the owner's thread. When they get it, its wonderful and the best thing since oxygen. Then calibrators find some things wrong with them. Then others find screen burn early on. Then the owners all demand fixes. You know where its going so why bother going on that trip.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #4 of 50 Old 01-25-2012, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I would be inclined to go with a more mature technology but the VT50, with it being an all new display from the phosphers up may not be the one to get. You really have to wait to see how well it performs or just go with a VT30 and call it a day.

I know that there will be those who buy into first generation OLED but geeze, that like shooting your own foot off when you don't have to. You can easily predict the tone of the owner's thread. When they get it, its wonderful and the best thing since oxygen. Then calibrators find some things wrong with them. Then others find screen burn early on. Then the owners all demand fixes. You know where its going so why bother going on that trip.

History loves to repeat itself around here.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #5 of 50 Old 01-25-2012, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
If you're dead set on the latest and greatest, go with an LG (or Samdung if they release around the same time) OLED about 3 months after street date once (nearly) all of the above predicted drama has run its course. The only data you should be lacking by that point is long-term longevity.
post #6 of 50 Old 01-25-2012, 03:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

If you're dead set on the latest and greatest, go with an LG (or Samdung if they release around the same time) OLED about 3 months after street date once (nearly) all of the above predicted drama has run its course. The only data you should be lacking by that point is long-term longevity.

The Elite has been out over 3 months and the drama is just now getting good. All we need now is some murder and mayhem.

Another thought. For each of us there is a price/pain threshold where we're willing to try new technology. You go buy a new cell phone and have to pay $300 to get the latest and greatest, even if it doesn't work out, you're only out $300. Chuck it and go get another. Buy an $8,000 display and can't get your money back if it prematurely fails, you're pretty much screwed. Where's your pain threshold; $300 or $8,000?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #7 of 50 Old 01-25-2012, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Another thought. For each of us there is a price/pain threshold where we're willing to try new technology. You go buy a new cell phone and have to pay $300 to get the latest and greatest, even if it doesn't work out, you're only out $300. Chuck it and go get another. Buy an $8,000 display and can't get your money back if it prematurely fails, you're pretty much screwed. Where's your pain threshold; $300 or $8,000?

If it fails prematurely, then isn't this covered by warranty? Unless you mean "it fails to meet my expectations when I got it home", which is really your own failure. The only unknown factor is lifespan/burn-in, so I would treat it carefully just like I do with my Plasma now. Everything else you can either read in the reviews, see in the shops, or is covered by warranty.

Anyway, definitely looking forward to the new 55" OLED's to replace my Pioneer Plasma. I have no fear for new technology, and I will gladly go back 5 inches in size if picture quality meets my expectations.
post #8 of 50 Old 01-25-2012, 04:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

ferro

Congratulations...your pain threshold is much higher than mine.

post #9 of 50 Old 01-25-2012, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferro View Post

Everything else you can either read in the reviews, see in the shops, or is covered by warranty.

My black level rise on my '08 panny was "by design" and there for not a warranty issue.

Your trust in the system is impressive but misplaced...

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #10 of 50 Old 01-25-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

My black level rise on my '08 panny was "by design" and there for not a warranty issue.

Your trust in the system is impressive but misplaced...

Wan't that also essentially a lifespan issue? That would be the exception I mentioned where warranty does not help and early reviews will not help.

Regardless, if a new technology is really, really good, I will gladly take the early adopter risk. I did it for Pioneer's Kuro technology, and I have never regretted it.

One bad personal experience in the future may change my mind of course
post #11 of 50 Old 01-25-2012, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can't say for sure how the OLED will perform but I can say if history is an indicator Panasonic plasmas haven't been that great either.
post #12 of 50 Old 01-25-2012, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I agree, that is good advice. Hopefully the Samsungs will come out sooner than expected.
post #13 of 50 Old 01-25-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

I agree, that is good advice. Hopefully the Samsungs will come out sooner than expected.

That's not going to happen.

They have to wait for someone else to bring it out and then go steal the tech from them.

On the bright side, they do improve on the stolen tech.

....and I am kidding.

post #14 of 50 Old 01-25-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's not going to happen.

They have to wait for someone else to bring it out and then go steal the tech from them.

On the bright side, they do improve on the stolen tech.

....and I am kidding.

Only people who know about LG vs Samsung would get that
post #15 of 50 Old 01-25-2012, 09:37 AM

wow, really. there isnt a company that in some way shape or form hasn't done this. there are tons of law suits involving all these ce manufacturers. samsung is a great company in my opinion. i have the pnd8000 and i love it.

tonyjd40
you can dream of where you will be ten years from now,or
you can work hard today to actually get there
post #16 of 50 Old 01-25-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Samsung so far has been a true leader and LG has been a follower. That may change soon.
post #17 of 50 Old 01-25-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have they announced any potential launch dates (or years) or prices for these new OLED displays yet?

I believe LG has set an actual month for release and Samsung only said second half of 2012.

Quote:

My only experience with OLED was a Samsung cell phone on which the display failed after 9 months... a god-send as the amount of what I would term 'burn-in' was making it hard to read. Personally, I wouldn't want to be on the bleeding edge of this technology. My recommendation: appreciate what is available today and worry about tomorrow when it arrives. I'm sure we have a few good years of the current tech left.

I support a lot of Samsung OLED cell phones (have one myself) and so far none have had the burn in issue and none have failed. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but it hasn't happened for any of my users over the past few years.
post #18 of 50 Old 01-25-2012, 01:00 PM

Liked: 10
Ill just go ahead and say it...65" VT Series for the BEDROOM...Damn bro thats pretty ballin
post #19 of 50 Old 01-25-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by 192darkhorse View Post

Ill just go ahead and say it...65" VT Series for the BEDROOM...Damn bro thats pretty ballin

kind of what i was thinking, hate to see what he displays in his living room or mancave.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #20 of 50 Old 01-25-2012, 01:51 PM

If I had the money and wasn't a poor college boy, I'd definitely be one of the first in line for the new LG/Samsung OLED. A 65 inch VT50 would be awesome, but i'd gladly drop 10 inches for the magnificence that is OLED. Obviously it's going to cost much more than a 65 VT30, and sure there might be a few minor quirks that they need to work out, but once it's released this fall, the picture quality should be leaps and bounds ahead of anything on the market. We have one life to live, might as well actually live. Hell, just using my samsung super amoled cell phone everyday gets me giddy for the future of big screen OLED. It's just inherently a far superior technology for picture quality over plasma/lcd
post #21 of 50 Old 01-25-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Warranties on tv sets are 1 year. I think the vast majority of Sony's ill-fated SXRD sets made it that far without problems--mine did.

People swap out phones and such darn near yearly, but expect tvs to last a lot longer.

To my mind the choice is between the oldest, most proven, cheapest, excellent pq tech. vs the newest, most expensive by multiples, and most unproven tech with even better pq.

I say bless those with the disposable income to be beta testers for big screen OLED--if enough of you buy them they will eventually be safe buys for the rest of us.

Steve S.
post #22 of 50 Old 01-25-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

I see no reason to believe that.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #23 of 50 Old 01-25-2012, 03:20 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Warranties on tv sets are 1 year. I think the vast majority of Sony's ill-fated SXRD sets made it that far without problems--mine did.

People swap out phones and such darn near yearly, but expect tvs to last a lot longer.

To my mind the choice is between the oldest, most proven, cheapest, excellent pq tech. vs the newest, most expensive by multiples, and most unproven tech with even better pq.

I say bless those with the disposable income to be beta testers for big screen OLED--if enough of you buy them they will eventually be safe buys for the rest of us.

Hear hear for that! Though I feel like a jerk buying even a 700 dollar tv when my sis who is a social worker and doesn't have much money donates 10% of her paycheck to charity every single month. Even though it's unintentional, my family makes me feel like such a greedy hedonistic jerk. But at least I'm a greedy hedonistic jerk who gets to watch avatar in 3D.

post #24 of 50 Old 02-02-2012, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyen78 View Post

Hear hear for that! Though I feel like a jerk buying even a 700 dollar tv when my sis who is a social worker and doesn't have much money donates 10% of her paycheck to charity every single month. Even though it's unintentional, my family makes me feel like such a greedy hedonistic jerk. But at least I'm a greedy hedonistic jerk who gets to watch avatar in 3D.

You could be charitable and let your sis watch avatar on your 3D set.
post #25 of 50 Old 02-05-2012, 05:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Slight difference in price between the two.

CR just did another TV review and spoke of the new OLED's, estimating the price around $6k which is what I guessed it to be in another thread yesterday(between $5k & $7k).

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #26 of 50 Old 02-05-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Slight difference in price between the two.

CR just did another TV review and spoke of the new OLED's, estimating the price around $6k which is what I guessed it to be in another thread yesterday(between $5k & $7k).

I'm not sure who CR is but I hope that price is at the high end of things.

However if the samsung OLED was $6k and I thought it was a huge improvement over the VT50, I would get the OLED.
post #27 of 50 Old 02-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Not even a question. I will buy the Elite or the Panasonic...

I hope OLED is the display we all think it will be and in two or three years I bet it will be but I read these threads and you would think the current crop of high-end sets all suck and are unwatchable.

Maybe I am more an audiophile then a videophile and my audio set-up investment is extreme(7 to 8 70 Elites in cost) and done thank gosh (and I hate anyword with phile in it ) but I just don't see how anyone could not find a set to be pleased with be it Plasma or LED.

I think we are at a path now (and for me only) that size does matter. I started with a 34 inch Sony XBR960 HD tube, then moved up to a Pioneer 5071 and then finally my last was a Sony 55 XBR8. All great sets and I personally have enjoyed the Sony but 55 inch just doesn't do it anymore especially if you have a substantial investment in the audio side and anchor it with a 55 inch display. It doesn't make for a thrilling HT set-up IMO (I have no room for projection).

The new OLED sets may bring tears to my eyes when I see them then they will bring tears to my eyes again as they are only 55 inches.. (but that's a great place to start).

Sharp really knew what they were doing when they brought a 70 and 80 inch display and to these eyes seems like the new perfect size for a non-dedicated home theater... I think it was a perfect preemptive strike on their behalf. (maybe while they figure out the OLED landscape). They knew what was coming and this was a perfect move.

I am sure there are many like me who might spend in this range but not for a 55 inch display. I think Sharp will get my money this May. Time to bring the size and quality of my display to match the audio side..

Maybe my display after this one will be an 80 inch Sharp OLED in time..

Can't believe I can even discuss putting a 70 inch display in my room at this time. Wasn't long ago all I could afford was that 34 XBR960 HD CRT as the 42 inch Plasmas were still like $8K or something like that. Maybe the best are still in that range but picture quality and size are now stunning.

Rick

post #28 of 50 Old 02-05-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

I can live with 55" in the bedroom. I won't replace my 65" in my living room until an 80" 4K OLED or a significantly improved plasma or LED is available. I don't like the movement or look of LED colors. I think the current VT30 still leaves much to be desired compared to a 5 year old KURO. That leaves OLED - haven't seen the new set yet so I don't know if it will be great but I sure hope so as the set in my bedroom is dying and I want to replace it soon.
post #29 of 50 Old 02-05-2012, 11:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
I'm not sure who CR is but I hope that price is at the high end of things.

It's a what: Consumer Reports.
Quote:
I hope OLED is the display we all think it will be and in two or three years I bet it will be but I read these threads and you would think the current crop of high-end sets all suck and are unwatchable.
Maybe I am more an audiophile then a videophile and my audio set-up investment is extreme(7 to 8 70 Elites in cost) and done thank gosh (and I hate anyword with phile in it ) but I just don't see how anyone could not find a set to be pleased with be it Plasma or LED.

Any owner of a Plasma, probably feels LCD's do "suck".
Funny one can spend ten's of thousands for audio, but cringe on spending several thousand on video.

BTW, there are no "LED" consumer TV's, just LED driven LCD's. Huge difference.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #30 of 50 Old 02-06-2012, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
I have both a pioneer 433cmx plasma and an 55 8500 Samsung LED.If the blacks on Pioneer were as good as the 8500 it would win hands down but blacks are awful based on todays displays.

Matt
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page