Need help narrowing down choices for new primary television - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-13-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Over the past 6 years I've slowly replaced all our TVs with HDTVs and of course the first one I bought was a living room TV that is now showing it's age. It is a Samsung HL-S6187W 61" 1080p DLP. I also have a 50" Samsung Plasma for our master bedroom, a 42" Samsung LCD for our exercise room, and an Epson projector on 124" Carada screen in my light controlled home theater room. So our Blu-Rays are primarily watched in the Home Theater, but the living room DLP absorbs 75%+ of our TV watching time just out of convienence.

I'd like to slightly increase the size of our living room TV from 61" to ~65". Viewing usage is about 80% HDTV 15% Playstation 3 gaming 5% SDTV usually stretched. Room has very poor light control. There are big french doors and 4 big windows with plantation blinds coming in at about 150-180 degree angle, and it's a large open room to the office and kitchen so you have light coming from behind if someone is in there. Power consumption is also somewhat of an issue since this TV is the primary one used day to day.

I've already bought 4 HDTVs so I thought it would be easier this time, but I again find myself overwhelmed quickly, and am trying to narrow down the field. I've looked at DLPs again, but it seems like 75"+ is the new minimum for them and they have become less popular as other technologies have gotten bigger and cheaper. Plasma's seem nice, but also still seem to use a ton of energy so I worry about saving $500-1000 up front and then spending it on electricity over the years. LED TVs seem very cool, but I don't want to spend 4-5k on a TV either. I keep ending up going in a circle between the three.

I'm about 3-6 months from purchase, but want to start narrowing the field now and watching prices. Based on the above what would the answers be to these questions...

1) DLP, Plasma, or LED and why??
2) What are some good possible choices in the 2-3k range???
3) Where is my best bang for the buck??

Thanks so much for the help I definitely don't mind diving deeper into the research, but need to narrow the field a little bit so I don't feel so overwhelmed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-13-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
70" Sharp led. Under 3k, good pq, very bright, matte screen finish, very little processing lag for gaming, among the most energy efficient sets available. At smaller screen sizes (50-55") the energy penalty on plasmas isn't that much but when you get to 65+ it is more significant.

Steve S.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page