$1700 dollar budget, best bang? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-16-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
my dad is looking for a set for his living room. he does not care if it is a flat panel or a DLP.

he just wants the biggest size with good pq for that price.

he currently has a 40 inch samsung led that he bought on blk fryday a few years ago, and he doesnt like the PQ on that set. To be honest I never knew he was the type to even pay attention to PQ, but i guess he does.

i asked him why he thinks the PQ is bad, and he said that sometimes the screen looks greenish in dark scenes, or washed out. not sure if this makes any sense or not.

any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Panasonic 65st30
post #3 of 16 Old 02-17-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I second the ST30. Or wait for the ST50 coming out shortly.
post #4 of 16 Old 02-17-2012, 06:46 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalDistortion View Post

my dad is looking for a set for his living room. he does not care if it is a flat panel or a DLP. he just wants the biggest size with good pq for that price.

The biggest and best PQ you're going to find right now for under his budget is the 60" Panasonic ST30 series. The 65" ST30 is at least a few hundred bucks over his budget, but the 60 incher is well under his budget. The 55" and 60" GT30 is already discontinued and the supply seems to have dried up, and now the supply of the large ST30s is starting to dwindle as well so keep this in mind.

The new 60" ST50 series coming out in a few months will be $2100 and the 55 incher will be out in about one month and will initially sell for $1700.

The ST50 is expected to be an improvement over the ST30, but i gotta say the three ST30's i've installed for friends are the best PQ i've seen for the low prices they paid. The ST30 series has been widely regarded as the best bang for the buck for the past year and nothing else in it's price range has come close to it's PQ.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #5 of 16 Old 02-17-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

awesome. thank you for the suggestions. i will try to take my dad to a store this weekend and take a look.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-17-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:

awesome. thank you for the suggestions. i will try to take my dad to a store this weekend and take a look.

Just remember that the new production year has started so supplies are drying up of the 2011 models. Also dont go by what the TV looks like in the store unless you can get the remote and put it settings yourself to make the picture better. Some people actually write down the settings people are using (they are posted in the official threads in the plasma sub section of the forum) and input them into the TV. Also some "salesmen" will push different brands and models depending on what the store has in stock and what their margin is on a particular TV.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-17-2012, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer View Post

Just remember that the new production year has started so supplies are drying up of the 2011 models. Also dont go by what the TV looks like in the store unless you can get the remote and put it settings yourself to make the picture better. Some people actually write down the settings people are using (they are posted in the official threads in the plasma sub section of the forum) and input them into the TV. Also some "salesmen" will push different brands and models depending on what the store has in stock and what their margin is on a particular TV.

yea im looking through the threads for the settings, and have started to write down a few to try out.

Thanks
post #8 of 16 Old 02-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
he said that sometimes the screen looks greenish in dark scenes,

If you can find stock - and have ready transportation - Costco had the 60" ST30 at a very attractive price. And both of our local stores also had stock on the 65" ST34 (Costco's model number).

Alas, and knowing full well that this statement won't be popular, if your Dad is ALREADY "Seeing Green," the 2011 Panasonics might not be a good choice for him: there is a very good chance that it will it will exhibit SOME FORM of the dreaded Green Blob/Pink Tint problem.

STILL: we are currently running the 4th 60" Panel we've had at home - a Nov Build ST30 from Costco - and although the Green & Pink both exist on this set, it is still the best we've actually owned.

Might simply be wishful thinking, but the Green & Pink on this set appear to be pushed farther away from "mid" tones than on the earlier sets - with the result being that we tend to have far fewer problems with Green Faces than on the other sets.
So, still hoping for the best - with over 75 days left to make a decision...
post #9 of 16 Old 02-17-2012, 06:40 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

The problem with that is that Plasmas never look good in a store environment as it's a lot brighter than the typical home environment and it does start to wash out the image. Imagine going to a movie theater and watching a movie in the dark, then they decide to turn all the lights on and crank them all the way up. The movie will suddenly look like crap. His home surely doesn't have dozens of 400 watt HID light fixtures

Even plugging in some settings from the various ST30 threads won't do much good because those are from people's homes, not super bright store environments.

But if he must see the ST30 picture quality for himself, find a Magnolia or Pauls TV etc that has an ST30 in a darkened room, but it's more likely that they wont so look at a GT30 or VT30 as they have the same core panel and the picture quality while better, will be very similar to the casual viewer. Figure the ST30 will look maybe 5% less than that of a GT30. And they probably will still have the TV adjusted improperly so get your hands on a remote, put the TV in Custom mode, and adjust the settings in the regular menu and also in the Pro Settings sub-menu.

Dierkdr's Costco recommendation is by far the best suggestion right now - that price is lower than the lowest i've seen on Amazon and Amazon is no longer selling the 60ST30. Costco tends to buy up all the remaining inventory about this time every year as Panasonic starts clearing space in their distribution centers for their soon-to-be arriving new models, and they usually go fast then they're gone forever. Act fast. Very fast.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-18-2012, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

well I wanted to come take a look at my dads set first, to make sure the settings were correct before buying anything.

he complained a lot about ghosting, so the first thing i did was to make sure that the motion smoothing was off, and it was. i couldn't believe how bad the ghosting is on this set.

I also tried a few scenes from the dark knight and it was pretty bad. it looked like all the detail was mushed together.

after that we went to a few cosctos and one best buy and they didn't have the tv on display. we are going to try some other stores next week.

thank for all the help guys.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-18-2012, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

If you can find stock - and have ready transportation - Costco had the 60" ST30 at a very attractive price. And both of our local stores also had stock on the 65" ST34 (Costco's model number).

Alas, and knowing full well that this statement won't be popular, if your Dad is ALREADY "Seeing Green," the 2011 Panasonics might not be a good choice for him: there is a very good chance that it will it will exhibit SOME FORM of the dreaded Green Blob/Pink Tint problem.

STILL: we are currently running the 4th 60" Panel we've had at home - a Nov Build ST30 from Costco - and although the Green & Pink both exist on this set, it is still the best we've actually owned.

Might simply be wishful thinking, but the Green & Pink on this set appear to be pushed farther away from "mid" tones than on the earlier sets - with the result being that we tend to have far fewer problems with Green Faces than on the other sets.
So, still hoping for the best - with over 75 days left to make a decision...

this is the correct one, right?
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=en-US&topnav=
post #12 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 05:04 AM

Quote:

this is the correct one, right?
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=en-US&topnav=

Yes if you scroll down to the bottom of the page, right underneath where it says the weight the model number is listed there. Kind of hard to find but that is the correct one.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 11:16 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

....after that we went to a few cosctos and one best buy and they didn't have the tv on display. we are going to try some other stores next week.

Well next week might be too late to get a good deal on a leftover 2011 model - the supply is drying up quickly. There really is no good alternative to that 60ST30 Costco deal unless he wants to up his budget higher than his $1700 limit. If he's not happy with the 60ST30, he could always return it then regroup and either buy a higher end model now, or wait for the new 2012 models to be released in a few months. But the three that i've installed for friends are flawless and they are extremely happy with their purchase and the upgrade in quality over their previous sets.

Randy
post #14 of 16 Old 02-19-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Well next week might be too late to get a good deal on a leftover 2011 model - the supply is drying up quickly. There really is no good alternative to that 60ST30 Costco deal unless he wants to up his budget higher than his $1700 limit. If he's not happy with the 60ST30, he could always return it then regroup and either buy a higher end model now, or wait for the new 2012 models to be released in a few months. But the three that i've installed for friends are flawless and they are extremely happy with their purchase and the upgrade in quality over their previous sets.

we made the purchase. hopefully it will get shipped soon.
after tax and shipping it was about 1350, well below the budget. Now hes thinking about picking up 2 pairs of 3d glasses.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

we made the purchase. hopefully it will get shipped soon.
after tax and shipping it was about 1350, well below the budget. Now hes thinking about picking up 2 pairs of 3d glasses

Congratulations - hope your dad likes the new set!

Does he already have a 3D capable blu-ray player?

If NOT, and thinking about picking up the glasses, this might be a good time to get one of the 2011 Panasonic units: CHECK ON THE DATES FIRST, but THINK they are still offering a Free 3D copy of Avatar - via MIR - with blu-ray players.

Also, while I have never been a fan of "Extended Warranties," especially as Costco gives you 2 years to begin with, the Square Trade warranty at Costco carries an attractive price, and you have up to 60 days to buy it - probably enough time to ensure whether or not your particular set as any Unacceptable Flaws...
post #16 of 16 Old 02-20-2012, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

Congratulations - hope your dad likes the new set!

Does he already have a 3D capable blu-ray player?

If NOT, and thinking about picking up the glasses, this might be a good time to get one of the 2011 Panasonic units: CHECK ON THE DATES FIRST, but THINK they are still offering a Free 3D copy of Avatar - via MIR - with blu-ray players.

Also, while I have never been a fan of "Extended Warranties," especially as Costco gives you 2 years to begin with, the Square Trade warranty at Costco carries an attractive price, and you have up to 60 days to buy it - probably enough time to ensure whether or not your particular set as any Unacceptable Flaws...

i do not think he currently owns a 3d player, but i can let him use my ps3 for now since i havent been gaming much. i also have quite a few SBS movie files that he might be able to play off the usb port on the tv.

i will let him know about the panasonic unit though, thank you.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page