Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 299 Old 05-07-2012, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

Sounds like you have very slow 3G access.

Please explain what you mean by "serious use." I was under the impression that the main driving factor for these larger screen sizes on Android was not popularity, but simply because Android manufacturers keep trying to one-up each other, and because the OS itself doesn't handle resolution scaling well at all. (higher resolutions tend to require larger screens with Android)

Now I love my iphone & ipads please dont get me wrong however I am finding for phone use I am now 99% using the S2. The ipad is still my favorite 7-10 in form factor device but that has mostly to do with battery life.

But you asked for my experience so:

Web browsing - True Web Site Pages (not mobile specific ones) can be browsed and navigated much easier on a 4.5" screen.

PDFs. Race Results are often long and wide lists that are certainly easier to read on the larger screen.

RDP - In emergency times I have used it to put out a fire and was thankful for the extra real estate.

E-Reading. Obviously more real estate helps.

Text Chat lists - Larger screen helps but I also love the colored left/right indented conversations.

Widgets - Stocks/weather/twitter all updated all the time right on my home screen. Secondary honeycomb screens for quick volume profiles/active Apps/Battery/Calendar/appointment. Always there always updated nothing to load.

SWYPE - Bigger screen helps my accuracy and eyes. No better way to type (Even beats speech to text and siri).

Weight - Less than my Iphone.

Rounded corners - more comfortable to hold.

Thinness - Less than my iphone.

Portability - Fits better in my pants pocket.

USB mode Connectivity

Micro SD Card Expansion - Was on Vaca and shot some cool rescue video and it consumed my storage. "No worries" popped out the MicroSD and plugged in another - no worries ( vaca was in Australia and thats how they respond to everything).

Update: Exchange ActiveSync Lists - I get 3-5 hundred emails a day the list is easier to read on my s2 vs iphone. I suspect that's mostly due to larger screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 299 Old 05-07-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
what about the ios for the new ipad. same gripes?

should i go for a samsung pad?

neflixis our nemesis
post #183 of 299 Old 05-07-2012, 04:19 PM

Same ios used for all - even old ipads (if you updated). Same one used for Ipod Touches & Iphones.

I prefer ipad for 7-10" form factor and for true pocket portable device 3-5" I now prefer my S2.

YMMV.
post #184 of 299 Old 05-07-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

The 4.6" screen Nexus fits very easily into my pocket. No real difference between it and the iPhone. I can't imagine pockets so small that it would be an issue. I just see no reason to not have more screen real-estate. The phones are virtually the same weight too, so 'portability' is no argument at all.

As far as what you can do with an Android that you can't do with an IPhone, look no further than the customization of your screens. I can use thousands of gorgeous, informative widgets that I can't on the IPhone. That alone makes the phone experience far more engaging. I've grown very bored of IOS. Been there, done that.

Well said!
post #185 of 299 Old 05-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I must have missed the moment and reason this thread converted into a self congratulatory Android phone owner testimonial blog. Come on, guys, give the floor to Ford F-150 owners to hear their thoughts on legroom in their vehicles!
post #186 of 299 Old 05-07-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditcho View Post

I must have missed the moment and reason this thread converted into a self congratulatory Android phone owner testimonial blog. Come on, guys, give the floor to Ford F-150 owners to hear their thoughts on legroom in their vehicles!

If you can't understand how a thread on iPad resolution to ios to iPhone resolution to iPhone screen size to Android screen size versus lower resolution could take place then don't write about it and prove your lack of comprehension.
post #187 of 299 Old 05-07-2012, 07:43 PM

Android is fine for phones, but the iPad is the only viable tablet right now.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401676,00.asp
post #188 of 299 Old 05-07-2012, 09:21 PM

OH God another poster saying there is only one choice.

I LOVE my ipads and they are my choice of tablets but I know plenty of others that live by their windows tablets. They do have some significant pluses over the ipad IF those pluses are important to the user. But to say the ipad is the only viable tablet is false and misleads those that come here to learn. Depending on your needs there are plenty of situations where the ipad is NOT the best tablet.
post #189 of 299 Old 05-07-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebernazz View Post

OH God another poster saying there is only one choice.

I LOVE my ipads and they are my choice of tablets but I know plenty of others that live by their windows tablets. They do have some significant pluses over the ipad IF those pluses are important to the user. But to say the ipad is the only viable tablet is false and misleads those that come here to learn. Depending on your needs there are plenty of situations where the ipad is NOT the best tablet.

What are those Windows tablets that you speak of? When it comes to grubby finger interface tablets, the iPad is unfortunately the only choice.
post #190 of 299 Old 05-08-2012, 04:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Benign View Post

Nonsense. I have a 2nd gen IPad and a 7.7" Samsung Galaxy with a super AMOLED screen. I got the 7.7 for traveling, as it's much lighter and the form factor makes it easier to pack. There are many apps that are gorgeous on the screen, and frankly I prefer the screen to even the 3rd gen IPad screen.

But when home, I'll use the IPad for its larger screen (see, that screen real estate thing again) where portability is not an issue.
post #191 of 299 Old 05-08-2012, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you can't understand how a thread on iPad resolution to ios to iPhone resolution to iPhone screen size to Android screen size versus lower resolution could take place then don't write about it and prove your lack of comprehension.

After it has been explained to me in such detail, I finally got it.
Now, since I am currently interested in air fresheners, should I hang in this thread waiting for it to naturally evolve into that topic, or should I search elsewhere on the Internet?
post #192 of 299 Old 05-08-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:

What are those Windows tablets that you speak of? When it comes to grubby finger interface tablets, the iPad is unfortunately the only choice.

My friend loves his ExoPC Slate for complete .NET stack tablet computing.

2 others swear by their EP121.

And again NO it is not the ONLY choice.
post #193 of 299 Old 05-08-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:

Now, since I am currently interested in air fresheners, should I hang in this thread waiting for it to naturally evolve into that topic, or should I search elsewhere on the Internet?

Again it is often better to be thought ignorant then to speak(write) and remove all doubt.

But I shall try to help.. See iphones, S2s, Ipads they all are flat panel devices and this section of avs is called "Flat Panel general and New FP Tech". Now armed with that do you think air fresheners will come up often enough for you to gain some knowledge here?...
post #194 of 299 Old 05-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Now armed with that do you think air fresheners will come up often enough for you to gain some knowledge here?...

I don't expect owners of Android phones bragging about their purchase to come in any thread I read, but they always do
post #195 of 299 Old 05-08-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:

I don't expect owners of Android phones bragging about their purchase to come in any thread I read, but they always do

I responded to another users direct question or did you not bother to read that. Get a clue.

And I own more Apple products than Android so once again you are clueless.
post #196 of 299 Old 05-08-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Same ios used for all - even old ipads (if you updated). Same one used for Ipod Touches & Iphones.

I prefer ipad for 7-10" form factor and for true pocket portable device 3-5" I now prefer my S2.

YMMV.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Nonsense. I have a 2nd gen IPad and a 7.7" Samsung Galaxy with a super AMOLED screen. I got the 7.7 for traveling, as it's much lighter and the form factor makes it easier to pack. There are many apps that are gorgeous on the screen, and frankly I prefer the screen to even the 3rd gen IPad screen.

But when home, I'll use the IPad for its larger screen (see, that screen real estate thing again) where portability is not an issue.

well i'm not looking for a smart phone. portability is not an issue for me.

i have an asus netbook for home use but its difficult to navigate the web with it as its cursor seems to have a mind of its own, not to mention even writing a lengthy email or a blog. so i rarely use it as it frustrates me and the lcd screen has been damaged so we've lost the picture in the bottom right corner.

so looking for a tablet and came down to the new ipad or the samsung.
seems most of you prefer the ipad for home use.

any recommendations on the amount of memory. will be using to store photos, searches, and web browse mostly.

if i were in the market for a smartphone it would be the galaxy as i had a chance to use my sisters and was quite impressed.

neflixis our nemesis
post #197 of 299 Old 05-08-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Not an expert on tablets, but from what I have seen, even children can successfully use the iPad. Just about everyone I know has one and is very happy with it.

I have no doubt that Samsung has a very good product, but i have not seen it, or known anyone that has used it. As far as the amount of storage, if you're willing to use Cloud you can get by with the smallest iPad (storage wise).

No other tablet has the amount and variety of apps as the iPad. Just a couple of weeks ago I d/l an app that allowed me to watch BBC and other Brit channels, LIVE. Cost of the app is .99 CENTS and no subscription (yet). Same app is available for the iPhone. However, last time I tried it, it failed to load the channels...I haven't had a chance to see what is the problem. Not during the MLB season in full swing, anyway.
post #198 of 299 Old 05-08-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

A few points...

Having gotten used to my S2 screen I was using a phone with an LCD the other day, I must say the LCD's grey sheen on blacks make it look cheap.

A hear a lot of people saying how great text looks on very high resolution. I find it very strange who on earth cares what text looks like. I could read it fine on my eons old green colored pc screen. It's letters for crying out loud. It's as weird a depate TO ME as to how people can care a lot how thin a laptop is.

Question: Isn't it best to have a tablet in 16:9 ratio, especially when the letterbox will not be pitch black from lack of contrast?

Birgir "keyser"
post #199 of 299 Old 05-08-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for adding so much to this discussion.
post #200 of 299 Old 05-08-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

well i'm not looking for a smart phone. portability is not an issue for me.

i have an asus netbook for home use but its difficult to navigate the web with it as its cursor seems to have a mind of its own, not to mention even writing a lengthy email or a blog. so i rarely use it as it frustrates me and the lcd screen has been damaged so we've lost the picture in the bottom right corner.

so looking for a tablet and came down to the new ipad or the samsung.
seems most of you prefer the ipad for home use.

any recommendations on the amount of memory. will be using to store photos, searches, and web browse mostly.

if i were in the market for a smartphone it would be the galaxy as i had a chance to use my sisters and was quite impressed.

The NEW ipad is an awesome device. I would highly recommend it. It is the easiest to use (IMO) ans has a gorgeous screen and tons of apps (although 90% are crap but everyone can find something they like with so much to choose from). Battery life is excellent (very important to me). Storage is your call but with the advances in cloud storage I don't think the non-expandability of the ipad is an issue.

Now what COULD cause the "common" user some pain if you get it.....

1) Does not support plug-ins (Flash & Silverlight the 2 big ones). SO if you travel to sites that are still on those you will not be happy (I would say in my browsing about 5-10% of the time it affects what I want to do). HTML5 will win out and flash will die off(rightfully so) but in the interim it can be a pain if the site you need uses it.

2) If you are a heavy MS Office user and you want to edit medium to large complex documents / sheets then you have to resort to virtual desktop or RDP.

Not to long of a list and only you can judge if they are show stoppers.
post #201 of 299 Old 05-09-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, the iPad is certainly NOT for everyone. I found this story today.

"When it comes to orangutans, the iPad itself has limitations. First, the relatively small screen causes orangutans to hit the wrong buttons sometimes. Also, the touchscreen won't register if they try to use their fingernails. Most importantly, the devices are just too fragile to actually hand over to the apes - the trainers must hold them."

Looks like Apple didn't think of "everything", after all. ;-)

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/05...use-ipads.html
post #202 of 299 Old 05-09-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

To Birgir in beautiful Iceland:

I don't see the need to have a tablet in 16:9 aspect, unless you intend to use it mainly for watching movies. My wife for instance use it for d/l and reading books, plus a few games.
I mainly use it for reading news from world newspapers.

Hugh
Keflavik 1971-73
Survived the Heimaey volcano in '73
post #203 of 299 Old 05-09-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

To Birgir in beautiful Iceland:

I don't see the need to have a tablet in 16:9 aspect, unless you intend to use it mainly for watching movies. My wife for instance use it for d/l and reading books, plus a few games.
I mainly use it for reading news from world newspapers.

Hugh
Keflavik 1971-73
Survived the Heimaey volcano in '73

why watch movies on ipad when i have 2 ht setups.

i'm a br guy only and nf streaming doesn't do it for me.

thanks for the input

neflixis our nemesis
post #204 of 299 Old 05-09-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

Because its difficult to drag my projector and 126inch screen into the car/aircraft during trips.. :-)

Netflix is definitely limited in regards to streaming. If you haven't and can, try VUDU. It's 1080P/5.1 stream with a solid connection/service is darn good.

Love DIY
post #205 of 299 Old 05-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post

A hear a lot of people saying how great text looks on very high resolution. I find it very strange who on earth cares what text looks like. I could read it fine on my eons old green colored pc screen. It's letters for crying out loud.

Anybody who reads cares. Letters are most vulnerable to screen resolution. You can't read the small ones at low resolution.
post #206 of 299 Old 05-09-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:

My friend loves his ExoPC Slate for complete .NET stack tablet computing.

2 others swear by their EP121.

And again NO it is not the ONLY choice.

The iPad is hardly a featherweight. Those things are beasts. And are those fan grills that I see? Battery life is, I imagine, abysmal. Sorry, the iPad is The tablet. I really hope that Windows 8 shakes things up, (and newer-generation Atoms http://www.anandtech.com/show/5770/l...medfield-phone ).
post #207 of 299 Old 05-09-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:

A few points...
Having gotten used to my S2 screen I was using a phone with an LCD the other day, I must say the LCD's grey sheen on blacks make it look cheap.

In low-light conditions, I like to read white text on a black background. Can't imagine going back to an LCD after my S2.
Quote:

A hear a lot of people saying how great text looks on very high resolution. I find it very strange who on earth cares what text looks like. I could read it fine on my eons old green colored pc screen. It's letters for crying out loud. It's as weird a depate TO ME as to how people can care a lot how thin a laptop is.

PDFs, technical diagrams. SGS3 broke my heart with their damn pentile.
Quote:

Question: Isn't it best to have a tablet in 16:9 ratio, especially when the letterbox will not be pitch black from lack of contrast?

IMO, 16:10 is already unwieldy in bigger sizes. 4:3 is just about right for general use.
post #208 of 299 Old 05-09-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The iPad is hardly a featherweight. Those things are beasts. And are those fan grills that I see? Battery life is, I imagine, abysmal. Sorry, the iPad is The tablet. I really hope that Windows 8 shakes things up, (and newer-generation Atoms http://www.anandtech.com/show/5770/l...medfield-phone ).

sorry based on my past windows experience, i wouldn't want their software on my tablet. plus the apps would pale in comparison to the ios universe.

neflixis our nemesis
post #209 of 299 Old 05-09-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:

sorry based on my past windows experience, i wouldn't want their software on my tablet. plus the apps would pale in comparison to the ios universe.

I've no experience with Windows metro apps, but given the praise the Windows Phone 7 interface received, I want them to succeed. To light a fire under Apple's ass, if anything.
post #210 of 299 Old 05-09-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

i'm a br guy only and nf streaming doesn't do it for me.

thanks for the input

I actually enjoy my 16:9 AR tablet at the many airports I spend hours at. The best way to watch movies or TV shows.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page