Plasma or Led/Lcd technology reliability - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-09-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have been researching for months and I have my 2 sets narrowed down but what I can't decide is plasma or Led/lcd.
Pushing PQ aside, which tech is going to still be working in 10 years from now without issues?

I am one of the fortunate people that barley notices all the stuff that you guys pick apart in countless threads. I am really looking for a left over Sharp 70" 632 or a 65" Panny 30st plasma. I don't really think I care that much about 3-d and after seeing a well calibrated Sharp Led, it looks just about as good as the panny plasma to me.

I miss the days of crt when I could leave the tv on for hours as background noise and not even think twice about bulbs burning out or cooling off, burn in or anything like that. I had my mind set on the panasonic but from working on computers and other things, I know that heat + moving parts eventually = failure. I am not debating that plasma have an edge with motion, blacks and that burn in and bulbs are past issues and with projectors ect... but it is active and I assume there are fans inside to cool off parts.
I bought a mag flashlight that uses an LED and the light it gives off is so white, pure and cool. The concept of an led is awesome but I know that there must be some moving parts and things that will break in those tvs too. I also realize that being passive (and no local dimming) means that light is going to still go through somewhat and will not be black-black

I can't afford to buy a tv every few years and I don't want to be stuck with some "mainboard plasma flux capacitor regulator" problem a week after the warranty is up. I know this issue is really hard to answer because the designs are new and a lot is unknown but any input? I was also a little put off reading about how I need to "wear out" my plasma for 100 hours with break in slides. I also don't like knowing that my plasmas black levels will slowly degrade, even if I can't perceive it. I also have read the rated life is supposed to be 100,000 hours on the new sets but I still don't know.
Please educate me or sway me somehow, I hate being indecisive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If the Sharp looks good to you get the 70" Size does matter

Mike

post #3 of 6 Old 03-09-2012, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just recently purchased 2 70" and 1 80" Sharp sets and they are fine. I prefer my Panny pdp(s) over it but since you say you are happy with it and it is nice and size does matter then get the 70" Sharp and be happy. The sets are generally reliable. My oldest set is the old 2006 Panny duck feet pdp and has constant use from 3 sons and never had any issues with it. Sad to say but with 2 houses I have 4 pdps and 5 lcds (not even counting the 4 24" Dell lcd monitors) and not one of them has given me any reliability problems. (Did I just jinx myself).
post #4 of 6 Old 03-09-2012, 03:52 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
"I had my mind set on the panasonic but from working on computers and other things, I know that heat + moving parts eventually = failure."

Plasma has no moving parts or blubs to replace. The only issue is burn-in and a long as you do not leave it on a station like ESPN or CNN that have the stationary info bars at the bottom, or a 4:3 station with side bars, you will not experiance burn-in either. The power consumption is a little higher than LED/LCD but not a lot.

"I bought a mag flashlight that uses an LED and the light it gives off is so white, pure and cool."

That is not "white" it is blue. Proper white would look much warmer and industry standard for correct white in a TV picture actually looks a little yellow to most people until they get used to that white. LCD and LED/LCDs do not have blubs to replace either and rare that they would need to be replaced. They do not have "mechnical" moving parts either. The LCD element is electronic but seldom wears out.

By the way CRT TVs were hardly 100% reliable either. There were more TV repair shops around during the era of CRT TVs then there are now. There must have been some repairs for them to do on CRT TVs or they would not have existed.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-09-2012, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks for the info guys. Maybe what I am asking is does Panasonic or Sharp have a better track record for cusomer service or least repairs? I still can't decide. I don't care about a few more dollars a month for a plasmas elecric usuage. I guess I was lucky with my crts cause mine seemed to last forever. I just don't want to kick myself later.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-09-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post

Thanks for the info guys. Maybe what I am asking is does Panasonic or Sharp have a better track record for cusomer service or least repairs? I still can't decide. I don't care about a few more dollars a month for a plasmas elecric usuage. I guess I was lucky with my crts cause mine seemed to last forever. I just don't want to kick myself later.

According to Consumer Reports the repair rate for flat panel TVs is 3% for Sharp and 2% for Panasonic.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page