Looking for Suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-20-2012, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So after lots of reading on here, I think I have it down to a pair of favorites:

The LG 55LM6700 and the Panasonic P55GT50

I have a few main concerns with each that I'm trying to weigh.

LM6700:
I've found from seeing other people's TVs, I'm extremely sensitive to the "Soap Opera" effect, and I'm concerned because this TV both has the TruMotion 120hz feature, and no way to shut it off. I've seen some reviews that say they don't notice the effect on this display, and some that have it slightly. I feel like this would be a dealbreaker for me if it does have that effect. If that is the case on this one, is there another alternative LCD in a similar price range that definitively doesn't have this effect?

P55GT50:
Not only more $$ up front on this one, but the added cost of separate 3D glasses since none are included. I was thinking the GT50 may be worth it for me because the room it will be in swings between being rather bright in the afternoon to fairly dark at night, and having the extra modes sounded good for that. I also plan to do a ton of streaming (currently doing it through my xbox360), and it sounds like the improved CPU makes for a much snappier experience compared to the ST50.

My biggest concern on the Plasma is the potential for IR. It sounds like doing things like playing video games (with HUDs) for several hours or leaving on a channel with a logo or a crawl (which I sometimes do with ESPN or CNN while I'm working from home) are frowned upon as a possible cause for IR. Do I really need to become that anal with how I use the TV if I go this route? Are plasmas better intended for cases where they will mostly be used for limited movie viewing with maximum PQ as opposed to serving as an everyday work-horse TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-20-2012, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

-
post #3 of 3 Old 04-25-2012, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Bumping this up as I narrowed down the choices in the first post.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page