Common problems in LEDs/LCDs/Plasma... - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 72 Old 05-14-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
specuvestor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pds3 View Post

I can't help but wonder if you even have the set. Problems such as you describe would be smeared all over the owner's threads.

If you're sitting dead centre then tilting your head is not going to make a big difference. But if you're old enough, you'll know that was a problem with LCD even just 10 years ago. Laptops even tout it as a privacy "feature".

If you're sitting like 20 degrees off centre you might see the difference when you tilt your head. So it depends where u sit, and the quality of your set.

This is a well known issue with LCD as the LC works like a Venetian blind. It's as much to harp about as plasma having dithering. So most veteran don't talk much about it as they sit dead centre anyway.
specuvestor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 72 Old 05-14-2012, 04:42 PM
 
pds3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Hey maybe you and I get a group discount for an eye exam!

There are some here that just love to embellish and then attack those that state facts.

Dare I say it Ken, perhaps we are dealing with trolls. When you look at all the 70 and 80 inch owners threads there are almost no complaints about viewing angles. Those threads have thousands of posts so I would have to assume that viewing angle complaints would be quite prominent, if they existed.
pds3 is offline  
post #63 of 72 Old 05-14-2012, 04:44 PM
 
pds3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor View Post

If you're sitting dead centre then tilting your head is not going to make a big difference. But if you're old enough, you'll know that was a problem with LCD even just 10 years ago.

If you're sitting like 20 degrees off centre you might see the difference when you tilt your head. So it depends where u sit.

This is a well known issue with LCD as the LC works like a Venetian blind. It's as much to harp about as plasma having dithering. So most veteran don't talk much about it as they sit dead centre anyway.

We are not talking about 10 years ago. There have been massive improvements in LCD in the last decade.
pds3 is offline  
post #64 of 72 Old 05-14-2012, 05:01 PM
Senior Member
 
ebernazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pds3 View Post

Dare I say it Ken, perhaps we are dealing with trolls. When you look at all the 70 and 80 inch owners threads there are almost no complaints about viewing angles. Those threads have thousands of posts so I would have to assume that viewing angle complaints would be quite prominent, if they existed.

Just installed 2 80s & 4 70s and the OAV on them is very good not great. I would say I see a meaningful difference at about 50 degrees (using 90 degrees as dead center straight on). From 90 to 75 is just fine and hard to see that much difference but that's just my opinion.
ebernazz is offline  
post #65 of 72 Old 05-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
wmwilker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by pds3 View Post

I can't help but wonder if you even have the set. Problems such as you describe would be smeared all over the owner's threads.

I'm in the owners thread and I'm not a liar. I see what I see. Enjoy your set.

Mike

wmwilker is offline  
post #66 of 72 Old 05-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
wmwilker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by pds3 View Post

Dare I say it Ken, perhaps we are dealing with trolls. When you look at all the 70 and 80 inch owners threads there are almost no complaints about viewing angles. Those threads have thousands of posts so I would have to assume that viewing angle complaints would be quite prominent, if they existed.

Read Chad B's review. He is MUCH more reputable than you.

Mike

wmwilker is offline  
post #67 of 72 Old 05-14-2012, 08:00 PM
 
pds3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwilker View Post

Read Chad B's review. He is MUCH more reputable than you.

I don't have to read Chad's review to know whether I like my tv or not. I have had the Sharp 70LE732 for over a year now and love it. I have no issues with this set whatsoever.
pds3 is offline  
post #68 of 72 Old 05-15-2012, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
wmwilker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by pds3 View Post

I don't have to read Chad's review to know whether I like my tv or not. I have had the Sharp 70LE732 for over a year now and love it. I have no issues with this set whatsoever.

I apologize. I'm not saying that the Sharps are not good displays. The one's I've seen are very good. My 632 has a very good picture with a few flaws. I'm simply saying that the off angle viewing is not acceptable to me. I won't pay $4000 for a display that doesn't suit my needs.

This a quote by Chad B from the Cleveland Plasma website. It's part of his review of the 80" 632.

"I found that the 632U, like most LED LCDs, was very sensitive to viewing angle. With the picture paused, moving just slightly off center caused flesh tones to pale and contrast to weaken. At a 9' viewing distance, moving about 1.5' to the side caused a noticeable degradation. In fact, because of the sheer size of the screen, even if you sit dead center you may still see some side effects of off axis angles near the screen edges. I saw that the edges became just barely pale at a 9-10' distance, so color was just slightly richer in the middle of the screen than along the outer quarters of the screen. Sitting farther away will diminish or eliminate the effect, though that is not a very good compromise. "

I found it to be accurate and although the picture is still good at off angle viewing it is not a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

I am referring to my set and the LCD sets that I've seen in person.
It's just my opinion.

Mike

wmwilker is offline  
post #69 of 72 Old 05-15-2012, 04:51 AM
 
pds3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwilker View Post

I apologize. I'm not saying that the Sharps are not good displays. The one's I've seen are very good. My 632 has a very good picture with a few flaws. I'm simply saying that the off angle viewing is not acceptable to me. I won't pay $4000 for a display that doesn't suit my needs.

This a quote by Chad B from the Cleveland Plasma website. It's part of his review of the 80" 632.

"I found that the 632U, like most LED LCDs, was very sensitive to viewing angle. With the picture paused, moving just slightly off center caused flesh tones to pale and contrast to weaken. At a 9' viewing distance, moving about 1.5' to the side caused a noticeable degradation. In fact, because of the sheer size of the screen, even if you sit dead center you may still see some side effects of off axis angles near the screen edges. I saw that the edges became just barely pale at a 9-10' distance, so color was just slightly richer in the middle of the screen than along the outer quarters of the screen. Sitting farther away will diminish or eliminate the effect, though that is not a very good compromise. "

I found it to be accurate and although the picture is still good at off angle viewing it is not a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

I am referring to my set and the LCD sets that I've seen in person.
It's just my opinion.

No problem, I do understand. As they say "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder".
pds3 is offline  
post #70 of 72 Old 05-15-2012, 05:33 AM
adb
AVS Special Member
 
adb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: central texas
Posts: 2,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just my personal observation. I have several sets, about half Led/lcds and the other half plasmas. One of the leds is a 46" Samsung D7000 and while I enjoy watching it straight on when I move four feet or so to the side of center, either direction there is a noticable wash out and as a result we put the Led/lcds where there is more of a head on view and as I said we thoroughy enjoy watching them. What is really lost in clarity is not a big issue for us. The plasmas are used in the rooms where there is some substantial off angle viewing such as my study where my desk is about sixty degrees off and an led/lcd will not work. We enjoy modern technology and look forward to the next generation of tv's.
adb is offline  
post #71 of 72 Old 05-16-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
pack66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This thread is not about pissing contests. Mods, please lock. All I wanted was a thread regarding issues people need to be aware of when purchasing a set. Instead, I get people who find it necessary to argue to prove their "rightness", instead of bringing insight and wit.


/sigh.

I expected more from AVS.
pack66 is offline  
post #72 of 72 Old 05-17-2012, 01:13 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
HogPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Good Ol' US of A
Posts: 2,884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pack66 View Post

This thread is not about pissing contests. Mods, please lock. All I wanted was a thread regarding issues people need to be aware of when purchasing a set. Instead, I get people who find it necessary to argue to prove their "rightness", instead of bringing insight and wit.


/sigh.

I expected more from AVS.

In all fairness, there are already a myriad of threads that discuss the information you asked about, and even a cursory perusal through the Flat Panel forum would uncover that the entire "plasma vs LCD" debate is a hot button issue around here. Doing some research prior to posting would have answered your question before you asked it, and avoided another "tech A vs tech B" pissing match.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

HogPilot is offline  
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off