Could Apple really carve out a space in the TV market? - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 169 Old 04-09-2013, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I go to the theater to see 3D movies but if I could get that quality at home, it would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 169 Old 04-10-2013, 12:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

Huge potential market! Seems a 4K projector could be made for a lot less than a large 4K TV. I was really surprised that Mitsubishi didn't upgrade their DLP TVs to 4K.

It's a tiny, tiny, tiny market. In the U.S., something around 100,000 people per year buy a home-theater projector. The entire worldwide market was $915M last year. While the bulk of it is cheaper units, the continued presence of significant sales of $2,000-$10,000 (and up) projectors suggests an average selling price of at least $3,000. While that would work for Apple, a total market of 300K units a year would not.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #153 of 169 Old 04-11-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

You forget how people religiously buy Apple products.
post #154 of 169 Old 04-11-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You forget how people religiously buy Apple products.

No, I don't. I own a lot of them myself (in addition to plenty of non-Apple products, including the Windows laptop I use for 99% of my AVS Forum posts). But Apple doesn't chase tiny, uninteresting markets.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #155 of 169 Old 04-12-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

You mean like tablets? biggrin.gif
post #156 of 169 Old 04-13-2013, 01:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Apple has sold 122 million iPads. So no, I don't mean tablets.

Even if Apple massively expanded the market for home-theater projectors -- which is doubtless for dozens of reasons -- they would be very, very fortunately to sell 5 million over a decade. They will likely eclipse 500 million iPads well before the iPad turns 10.

post #157 of 169 Old 04-13-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

You missed the point. Who wanted a tablet before Apple came out with them?
post #158 of 169 Old 04-13-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Bill, I politely think your off base about apple using fp as part of any itvs.

It's inconsistent with how all the other products in the apple universe work.

You buy an iPod, iPad, iPhone whatever, the simplicity of use Is the key

With some simple basic instructions, you take your device home and are surfing the I store or the web immediately without any need for tech support.

Fps reqiuire a hell of a lot of tech support. Most consumers can't really bring one home and expect to watch their itv that night. Someone needs the skills to mount it properly, conceal the wires, set up the screen, and connect the audio.

Unless apple wants to set up their own geek squad, which I don't beleive is going to happen,
Fps are not the type of display they will use. 4k is much more likely. If they actually market an itv, it will be much more of a plug and play device.

neflixis our nemesis
post #159 of 169 Old 04-14-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm not missing any point.

Apple is not building a projector. Period.

The iPad is great. It got tablet-computing right and many followed (especially Samsung and Amazon; less so Microsoft, which is still missing the point).

Projectors can't be "gotten right" and people don't even care to get them right. Apple can't make rooms dark, can't make people care about gigantic images, etc.

post #160 of 169 Old 04-14-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Positive much? Me thinks you protest too much. You're probably right but I don't think you run Apple, luckily for me. I can hope can't I without people like you trying to crush my hopes? Next you're probably going to tell me there is no Santa Claus. This is a speculative thread isn't it? I'm going to continue to hope for a 4K projector. I won't be buying a 4K anything else and definitely nothing 2K. I know, I know, don't hold my breath but someone will be making it, current ones are way too expensive for me even by Apple standards, and since I don't own any Apple products it won't disappoint me. Now no Santa Claus! That's a real bummer. smile.gif
post #161 of 169 Old 04-14-2013, 11:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Positive much?

100% metaphysically certain.
Quote:
Me thinks you protest too much.

Methinks that sounds like a good internet sound bite. But it doesn't make it marginally interesting.
Quote:
You're probably right but I don't think you run Apple, luckily for me.

Unluckily for you, they aren't even researching projectors. So they won't be releasing one.
Quote:
I can hope can't I without people like you trying to crush my hopes?

You can hope for whatever you want. I can state my informed opinions on what is actually going to happen. And what's going to happen doesn't involve an Apple-branded home-theater projector.
Quote:
Next you're probably going to tell me there is no Santa Claus. This is a speculative thread isn't it?

Yes, it is. It's about things that might happen. Apple is not going to release a home-theater projector. You're free to speculate they will, but that's not going to change anything.
Quote:
I'm going to continue to hope for a 4K projector. I won't be buying a 4K anything else and definitely nothing 2K.

That's fine. I'd look to buy that 4K projector from someone who is going to sell one. That someone (and some already exist) won't be Apple.
Quote:
I know, I know, don't hold my breath but someone will be making it, current ones are way too expensive for me even by Apple standards, and since I don't own any Apple products it won't disappoint me. Now no Santa Claus! That's a real bummer. smile.gif

I'm sure one of the value-priced, good-quality projector companies will release a 4K model within the next couple of years. No doubt of that in my mind. I'm even more certain, however, that Apple won't be releasing a projector at 2K or 4K.

post #162 of 169 Old 04-15-2013, 03:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I'm not missing any point.

The iPad is great. It got tablet-computing right and many followed (especially Samsung and Amazon; less so Microsoft, which is still missing the point).

Projectors can't be "gotten right" and people don't even care to get them right. Apple can't make rooms dark, can't make people care about gigantic images, etc.

Projectors have a set of advantages and disadvantages that have yet to be mastered. Perhaps an LED pico projector in a small device is just the revolution the iPhone and iPad crowd want. It might be just the thing people didn't think they wanted until Apple offered it to them.

Likely? No, I don't think so. 4k? I doubt it even more. But you don't get points in 2013 for analyzing the success of the iPad in 20/20. Adding "period" or bold text is literally worth nothing.
post #163 of 169 Old 04-15-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 255
The idea that Apple would be jumping into the projector market is simply ludicrous. (I say that also as someone who uses a projector so I'm painfully familiar with what it takes to get the best image out of that technology. It's a niche to say the least).

But back in the real world: I haven't followed too closely, but the buzz about the Apple TV (flat screen) seems to have died down somewhat, with some saying it now makes more sense for apple not to waste time trying to build a whole TV, but to put more effort into perfecting an add-on box that, when paired with anyone's flat screen, will provide pretty much the same experience as the purported Apple TV flatscreen would have provided.

Thoughts? (Rogo?)
post #164 of 169 Old 04-15-2013, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I don't see how Apple could be successful with a projector. Apple makes products for people who want to pay for ease of use over functionality. People pay a premium for Apple's products to have a relatively idiot proof gadget. They appeal to the masses, not niche markets.

The Apple iTV will most likely be a rebranded TV with built a built in Apple TV interface. I don't think the actual display quality would be that impressive. But it would probably still be considered "the best" by many of those who end up purchasing it.

post #165 of 169 Old 04-15-2013, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Not sure why the projector market even needs Apple, unless one thinks they have the potential to innovate beyond all of the others in the field. There are some pretty fantastic choices out there already.
post #166 of 169 Old 04-15-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Remember, it is not just about the hardware but selling 4K media also.
post #167 of 169 Old 04-15-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

The idea that Apple would be jumping into the projector market is simply ludicrous. (I say that also as someone who uses a projector so I'm painfully familiar with what it takes to get the best image out of that technology. It's a niche to say the least).

But back in the real world: I haven't followed too closely, but the buzz about the Apple TV (flat screen) seems to have died down somewhat, with some saying it now makes more sense for apple not to waste time trying to build a whole TV, but to put more effort into perfecting an add-on box that, when paired with anyone's flat screen, will provide pretty much the same experience as the purported Apple TV flatscreen would have provided.

Thoughts? (Rogo?)

The buzz has died down, but I wonder if that's just because Apple has gotten better at quieting it. I suspect that even if Apple brands a whole TV, 95% of the experience will be available on a "better" AppleTV, indeed. I'm a bit concerned right now with Apple. Not about long-term innovation, but about basic execution. I'll probably explore this soon at my blog. I do believe, though, that whether Apple does a full, branded TV will be secondary to the equation. Most of the benefit will be in the service, which I doubt will be tied to just such a TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

I don't see how Apple could be successful with a projector. Apple makes products for people who want to pay for ease of use over functionality. People pay a premium for Apple's products to have a relatively idiot proof gadget. They appeal to the masses, not niche markets.

While I agree with some of this, this could not possibly be farther from the truth as I see it: " Apple makes products for people who want to pay for ease of use over functionality." Ease of you often goes hand in hand with functionality. My iPad is just more useful than the vast majority of Android tablets. My Macbook is just more useful than my Windows laptops.
Quote:
The Apple iTV will most likely be a rebranded TV with built a built in Apple TV interface. I don't think the actual display quality would be that impressive. But it would probably still be considered "the best" by many of those who end up purchasing it.

It depends how nice it is. I think there is room for a truly great living-room TV. That's not to say Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sony don't have really good products. But I believe a truly great one could be at least impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Not sure why the projector market even needs Apple, unless one thinks they have the potential to innovate beyond all of the others in the field. There are some pretty fantastic choices out there already.

Yes, there are many.
Quote:

Remember, it is not just about the hardware but selling 4K media also.

Apple makes virtually no margin selling media today. The idea that selling 4K media to their tiny number of projector customers would somehow tip the balance on this horrendously unattractive market is among your more absurd assertions.

post #168 of 169 Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Where does my last post say anything about projectors? I haven't asserted anything. I've already told you "you're probably right". You and I don't seem to be speaking the same language. You are reading things into my posts that aren't there and jumping all over me with wrong assertions/assumptions.
post #169 of 169 Old 04-17-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Apple could sell 4K media today. They wouldn't make any money at it today, tomorrow or 5 years from now, however.

We're probably not speaking the same language, but I've gotten by in foreign countries before.

Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page