Size vs. Quality? Sharp LC-80LE844U vs Panasonic TC-P65VT50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 69 Old 06-06-2012, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have been going back and forth between these 2 sets for weeks.

This is going in my basement, kids will be watching it and playing video games on it 75% of the time, I will be using it the other 25% of the time - mostly for movies but also for video games.

Viewing distance is about 12'
I have seen both TV's and do notice in a side by side evaluation that the VT50 does have a better picture when it comes to black details, but I am fairly sure that the black levels would not really bother me on the sharp once I got it home and was not comparing it side by side with Panny.

How much difference is the extra 5" on the Sharp going to matter at that distance?
I really started off wanting the 80" but I think it's just too big for the space.
I can attach room drawing if that makes a difference.
see edit below

Edit -
I laid out the TV's on the wall with painters tape and the 80" will fit.
The 70 is just not that big of a jump to make me buy it over the 65VT50.
So now the choice is between Sharp LC-80LE844U vs Panasonic TC-P65VT50

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old 06-06-2012, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlcohen View Post

This is going in my basement, kids will be watching it and playing video games on it 75% of the time, I will be using it the other 25% of the time - mostly for movies but also for video games.
I have seen both TV's and do notice in a side by side evaluation that the VT50 does have a better picture when it comes to black details, but I am fairly sure that the black levels would not really bother me on the sharp once I got it home and was not comparing it side by side with Panny.
How much difference is the extra 5" on the Sharp going to matter at that distance?
I really started off wanting the 80" but I think it's just too big for the space.

I had the 80" 632 Sharp a week before I sent it back for the 65VT50. I had a Samsung plasma before and I knew pretty quick that I was not going to like the Sharp. It is also a full backlit set. I was worried the 15" smaller set would be an issue but I got used to it within a week.

Mike

post #3 of 69 Old 06-06-2012, 09:17 AM

Liked: 15
I went from a 65" RPTV to the Sharp 70" and yes, it is a significant difference in size. The Sharp puts out a very respectable picture when properly adjusted. Would I go back to a 65" in set??? Not on your life. If anything, I would opt for the 80" set. My viewing distance is about the same as yours.
post #4 of 69 Old 06-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:

Most of the time, the larger set always gets my vote, but your situation is calling for the 65VT50. First, plasmas are better for gaming because of less lag time. Second, they usually handle motion better with no SOE to cancel out for movies. Third, it is going in the basement which is usually darker, an environment where LCD brighter picture is negated. Unless, you want to go for the visceral impact of the 80", I would pick the 65VT50 over the 70" Sharp LCD.
post #5 of 69 Old 06-06-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
My dad has the Sharp 70" and I have the Panasonic 60".

I would absolutely not trade. The picture and mvoement quality on the Panasonic just blow away the Sharp.
post #6 of 69 Old 06-06-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
IMO, at 12' away, the 65" is big enough (and the Panny is the better display).
post #7 of 69 Old 06-06-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 138
One big thing to consider here. Which 70" Sharp are we talking about? If you want the best black levels and overall good picture choose the 70LE735 because It is full array while the new 745 and 847 are edge lit. The Sharp Elite compares more favorably to the Panasonic 65VT50. but it is much much more expensive. Bang for the buck, the 735 and the ST/GT are tough choices. Most reviewers rate the Sharp as having better 3D and the Panny's having better blacks. I'm in this boat right now and find myself leaning towards the 70 but I seem to change my mind every day.
post #8 of 69 Old 06-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
I said before and will mention again that when I went to check out the VT50 at BB near the 70 Elite the VT just seemed so much smaller although just 5 inches. Size is one of the most important factors to me to a point when comparing the top displays.

Any of the top displays would be a great to own. I bought the Elite 70 because I am a movie sports nut and it delivers. Before that the Sony 55XBR8 and before that a 50 Pioneer (non-Elite) 5070 display.

The trend from above each move has been a size increase. Picture quality improvement is a given from one display to the next over the years.

Size and now I guess OLED are what counts to me. As long as the pic quality is as good as the current Elite.I love it every Blu-ray I watch but to be honest, every time I see that 80 I shake my head. To me it is the perfect size if just the Elite version. There is no way I'm trading up for two to three years so 70 is it for now.

When I go watch the Sony 55 in my bedroom it's great as hey a 55 in the bedroom but boy did it shrink.

I sit 8.5 to 9 for 70. Perfect. 12 feet from a 65 seems a bit back to me but hey just my opinion.

Size- take a good look at 65 vs 70. It's a nice bump up and still not 80.

Rick

post #9 of 69 Old 06-06-2012, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post

Picture quality improvement is a given from one display to the next over the years.
Unfortunately not always true for certain models that came out in 2008 but generally is a given otherwise.smile.gif
post #10 of 69 Old 06-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mmm can't seem to reply to a post on iPad. Yes, the year over year comment was more based on my display history. I didn't mention the first HD display but talk about a jump in size to the Pioneer. I almost peed my pants. biggrin.gif The first was the Sony XBR960 34inch HD CRT. When I moved to that 50 in the earlier days I was in awe. kind of like that move from 55 to 70. wink.gif

I think I will always remember the 70 Elite in the same way as the Pioneer. When I'm staring at that 85 OLED down the road. You fellas and gals can keep the up and coming 55s and hope in three years there is an 85. 55 is bedroom size now:) Kidding (sort of).

Rick

post #11 of 69 Old 06-07-2012, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

Edit to original post -

I laid out the TV's on the wall with painters tape and the 80" will fit.
The 70 is just not that big of a jump to make me buy it over the 65VT50.
So now the choice is between Sharp LC-80LE844U vs Panasonic TC-P65VT50

post #12 of 69 Old 06-07-2012, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Well now you made the choice a lot harder, but for your requirements I would still say the 65VT50, for all the same reasons I posted before. You have to take viewing angles into account if you are going to go LCD. The only other thing I can advise is to find a place with a good return policy so if one does not work out you can get the other.
post #13 of 69 Old 06-07-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I still strongly recommend the Panasonic. Those Sharp LCDs are huge, but the picture quality just isn't there.
post #14 of 69 Old 06-07-2012, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

Well now you made the choice a lot harder, but for your requirements I would still say the 65VT50, for all the same reasons I posted before. You have to take viewing angles into account if you are going to go LCD. The only other thing I can advise is to find a place with a good return policy so if one does not work out you can get the other.

Viewing angles are not an issue. Due to room lay out all seating will be just about in front of screen.
post #15 of 69 Old 06-07-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan View Post

I still strongly recommend the Panasonic. Those Sharp LCDs are huge, but the picture quality just isn't there.

Picture quality on the Sharp tvs is excellent. To say that the picture quality just isn't there is totally ludicrous.
post #16 of 69 Old 06-07-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pds3 View Post

Picture quality on the Sharp tvs is excellent. To say that the picture quality just isn't there is totally ludicrous.

Ludicrous? Not at all. Might be true of the Elites, but not of the regular sets. Not by a long shot.

You apparently went from an RPTV to your current 70" Sharp. Until you have a top quality plasma in your home side by side with your LCD you don't really have a frame of reference.
post #17 of 69 Old 06-07-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:

Ludicrous? Not at all. Might be true of the Elites, but not of the regular sets. Not by a long shot.
You apparently went from an RPTV to your current 70" Sharp. Until you have a top quality plasma in your home side by side with your LCD you don't really have a frame of reference.

I think you'll find a few thousand people on the Sharp threads that totally disagree with you. Picture quality on the Sharp tvs is excellent. Not everybody can sit in a dungeon and watch a tv and Plasma tvs are sorely lacking in a room with any kind of picture windows. If you like Plasma great, but don't cut down all other tv technologies. If plasma tvs were the absolute best, then I guess there wouldn't be any reason to buy anything else now would there. Apparently a lot of people disagree with your opinion regarding plasma superiority. A plasma set would do very poorly in my living room.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1408476/common-problems-in-leds-lcds-plasma#post_22002781
post #18 of 69 Old 06-07-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think you'll find a few thousand people on the Sharp threads that totally disagree with you. Picture quality on the Sharp tvs is excellent. Not everybody can sit in a dungeon and watch a tv and Plasma tvs are sorely lacking in a room with any kind of picture windows. If you like Plasma great, but don't cut down all other tv technologies. If plasma tvs were the absolute best, then I guess there wouldn't be any reason to buy anything else now would there. Apparently a lot of people disagree with your opinion regarding plasma superiority. A plasma set would do very poorly in my living room.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1408476/common-problems-in-leds-lcds-plasma#post_22002781

I've said elsewhere that LCDs are all but necessary in very bright rooms. That's true. But it's a compromise. You give up a lot going to an LCD, and the big Sharp LCDs are fairly middling even as far as LCDs go. The high quality plasmas are so much better.
post #19 of 69 Old 06-07-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

I have compared both TV's side by side, I think the sharp was ok - but the panny was better
post #20 of 69 Old 06-07-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Browsing the thread for this set, some people are complaining about motion blur (tails on golf balls and hockey pucks), input lag, etc. And of course the soap opera effect is unavoidable on an LCD.
post #21 of 69 Old 06-07-2012, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

My current TV upstairs i the den is an 82" Mitts 82837 DLP RPTV
I have been happy with this picture for a few years now, am I correct in assuming the Sharp LC-80LE844U will be as good, if not better?
post #22 of 69 Old 06-07-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:

I have been happy with this picture for a few years now, am I correct in assuming the Sharp LC-80LE844U will be as good, if not better?

Why don't you go over to the Sharp 80" threads. That should give you a pretty good idea of how very pleased most of those owners are. If my current 70" set weren't so new, I would purchase the 80" in a heartbeat. I certainly have no reservations regarding Sharp's PQ as I think it is excellent.
post #23 of 69 Old 06-07-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Better than a decent DLP? No chance.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
post #24 of 69 Old 06-07-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Why don't you go over to the Sharp 80" threads. That should give you a pretty good idea of how very pleased most of those owners are. If my current 70" set weren't so new, I would purchase the 80" in a heartbeat. I certainly have no reservations regarding Sharp's PQ as I think it is excellent.

You might also go to plasma and DLP owners threads and ask them why they didn't get an LCD.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
post #25 of 69 Old 06-07-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I am over there reading also, but thought I could get a more unbiased opinion here.

Quote:

Better than a decent DLP? No chance.

Really? I thought about another Mitts DLP for the basement, but the quality on the last 3 I have owned have been less than stellar. All have needed service calls.
Just replaced the dlp chip on the current 82" in the den
post #26 of 69 Old 06-07-2012, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

You need to put your crack pipe down...smile.gif

Your spewing garbage.... If you don't like LCD-great move on. If you love plasma great- enjoy.

The top-tier displays are all worthy. If I were a potential owner I would not hesitate on any of these top displays. Potential owners need to get out there and bring some blu-rays with them and try them out.
I get no soap-opera, I turn my motion settings to off or very low. The picture is great in day or night viewing. Blacks and contrast are top-tier and that brings great viewing pleasure.

You make it sound that the Sharps are garbage. I admit I have not viewed the lower end models in detall but I bet that new 80 is awesome for movies/sports. The Elite is awesome. I missed that 80 by a few weeks. I would have considered it as an opton. The size is awesome.

I have viewed the VT on a couple of occassions and it is really really nice. It was better the second time.First time, browns and greys were blah and lifeless. It was much better the second trip. I can see how many folks would enjoy this set.

Once again, I don't have an issue if you have a peference over LCD with plasma but you spew off too much crap and can't be taken seriously.

I agree the Sharp picture quality is aweful. It's an embarrasment to have friends or family over as it just can't touch Plasma. Wish the blacks and contrast were better. The colors are horrible too. I think the blue painted indian is supposed to be green?? That dang soap opera effect- Dang.

There are several great sets out there of both technologies. Decide your needs and size and be happy.

Not a perfect set but I'm thrilled...

Rick

IMG_0026.JPG 1559k .JPG file IMG_0027.JPG 1565k .JPG file IMG_0014.JPG 1628k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0026.JPG (1.52 MB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0027.JPG (1.53 MB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0014.JPG (1.59 MB, 78 views)

post #27 of 69 Old 06-07-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

They're not garbage. They're more or less middle of the road PQ-wise among the top LCD manufacturers. Not a whole lot of people buy their smaller LCD sets. The big ones are popular because they're big.

I don't hate LCD. I don't want to make you feel bad about something you've bought or anything. I just want the OP to understand the choice he's making. LCD's, with very very few exceptions, won't look as good as relatively recent DLPs or plasmas. You get the soap opera effect, motion handling isn't as good, and the colors aren't quite realistic. I will say that my dad's 70" Sharp looks astonishing with Avatar and video games. It's not nearly as good with regular live-action, skin tones, or sports, by a long shot.
post #28 of 69 Old 06-07-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

C-Nets review of the VT50 disagrees with your "dungeon" comment.
Danny Victory likes this.
post #29 of 69 Old 06-07-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post

You need to put your crack pipe down...smile.gif
Your spewing garbage.... If you don't like LCD-great move on. If you love plasma great- enjoy.
The top-tier displays are all worthy. If I were a potential owner I would not hesitate on any of these top displays. Potential owners need to get out there and bring some blu-rays with them and try them out.
I get no soap-opera, I turn my motion settings to off or very low. The picture is great in day or night viewing. Blacks and contrast are top-tier and that brings great viewing pleasure.
You make it sound that the Sharps are garbage. I admit I have not viewed the lower end models in detall but I bet that new 80 is awesome for movies/sports. The Elite is awesome. I missed that 80 by a few weeks. I would have considered it as an opton. The size is awesome.
I have viewed the VT on a couple of occassions and it is really really nice. It was better the second time.First time, browns and greys were blah and lifeless. It was much better the second trip. I can see how many folks would enjoy this set.
Once again, I don't have an issue if you have a peference over LCD with plasma but you spew off too much crap and can't be taken seriously.
I agree the Sharp picture quality is aweful. It's an embarrasment to have friends or family over as it just can't touch Plasma. Wish the blacks and contrast were better. The colors are horrible too. I think the blue painted indian is supposed to be green?? That dang soap opera effect- Dang.
There are several great sets out there of both technologies. Decide your needs and size and be happy.
Not a perfect set but I'm thrilled...
Rick
IMG_0026.JPG 1559k .JPG file IMG_0027.JPG 1565k .JPG file IMG_0014.JPG 1628k .JPG file

Your frame of reference isn't fair, as you have an Elite. The OP is considering the Sharp, which is no comparison.

OP, one has to decide if size matters more over PQ. As one other posted, the main criteria for choosing Sharp is size and price as they are typically cheaper. A 70" Sharp costs the same as a 55" Sony/Samsung.
post #30 of 69 Old 06-08-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

I am starting to lean towards the 80"

When you do a direct comparison between the Sharp LC-80LE844U vs Panasonic TC-P65VT50 the Panny wins, but once you get the sharp home with the huge size, I am sure the picture will be more then fine
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Sharp Lc80le844u 80 Inch 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page