High Def Video Screen Glasses - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I honestly wasn't sure of the best place to post this, so I apologize in advance if im in the wrong section.

I just got an itch to see what stage this tech has made it to. I've only found one manufacturer, but they have some promising products. They are only 720p (edit - they support 720p input but each screen is only 852 x 480 res.) but that would still be great for my pc gaming. Currently I have an eyefinity setup, but would likely opt for a set of glasses, provided the quality was there.

Mainly I was just wondering what you guys know of this tech and what other manufacturers are out there.

This is the manufacturer I've found thus far. http://www.vuzix.com/consumer/

Sent from my Nottach Powered ATRIX 4g via Tapatalk 2

God Bless America
Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 202
They are all terrible. The best consumer option today is Sony’s 720p OLED HMZ-T1.
It has a small image, inaccurate color, poor gradation, suffers from crosstalk (interference, not 3D) has a grid over the entire image (pixel pitch is too low) terrible optics (distortion & chromatic aberration) and is very heavy & uncomfortable. It's fairly low contrast, suffers from internal reflections, and is high latency. (50ms)

That being said, motion handling is good, and it offers the best 3D experience I have ever seen by a long shot. No active/passive/other 3D displays offer anything like it. With one display for each eye there's no ghosting (“crosstalk”) and the 3D image looks completely natural. While the hardware itself was uncomfortable to use, the 3D image was comfortable to look at for hours, unlike any other 3D presentation I’ve seen.

I have been down on 3D ever since owning a first-generation set, and trying out a large number of displays that have come out since, but the HMZ-T1 was enough to convince me that there is potential for 3D, and a good reason to push forward with advancing 3D technology.

We just aren’t there yet though.

Apparently there's going to be a replacement for the HMZ-T1 at the end of the year, so hopefully they've paid a lot of attention to the ergonomics this time around.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, after creating the thread I came across the hmz's. Thanks for the reply. If I got anything, it would be used for gaming 99% of the time (BF3 right now.) In your opinion, would they be suited very well for that or would I be better off to wait?

Sent from my Nottach Powered ATRIX 4g via Tapatalk 2

God Bless America
Guy
post #4 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 202
If you find them comfortable to wear and aren't bothered by the poor quality optics, small image size, grid over the image, colour accuracy or latency, they would be great for 3D gaming. I'm sure there are a lot of people that love their HMZ-T1s because they can overlook these issues.

Personally I would be inclined to wait and see if they update them in November. Going to a 1080p native resolution would help with reducing the grid over the image, but would actually make them worse for gaming, unless they add support for DVI-D or DisplayPort for 1080p 3D. Currently 3D at 60fps (required for gaming) is only supported at 720p with the HDMI 1.4 spec. They might stick with a 720p panel and improve the fill factor though, which would also reduce the grid over the image. If nothing else, prices for the HMZ-T1 are sure to have dropped by then.

Of course that's five months away. Depends how much you want something like this. I really wanted to like the HMZ-T1, but sold it because I just couldn't live with these problems, and I'm happy to just not use 3D until something good comes along.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page