Is now a bad time to buy a TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I'm contemplating replacing my 3 year old plasma for a larger TV, and moving the plasma into the basement.

But I'm wary about making a move now for several reasons:

1: Being an apple fan boy, the thought of an apple tv is appealing. I know rumors of an apple tv are heating up, and I'd hate to buy a panel without knowing what they may offer.

2: Also being an apple fan boy, it's hard to get past the beauty of their new screens. It makes me wonder if there are any higher resolution displays on the way out. I know 1080p is still fairly new, and not even fully adopted yet, but is there any chance we could have new higher res tech in the next 3-5 years?

3: Speaking of new technology... I read an article last night that said most manufacturers release their new models in September. Is this true? And if so are there any new technology breakthroughs in the pipeline?

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 06:42 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzygone View Post

3: Speaking of new technology... I read an article last night that said most manufacturers release their new models in September. Is this true? And if so are there any new technology breakthroughs in the pipeline?!

Most (if not all) TV manufacturers start releasing their new models around springtime, after CES.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I agree with the above. Also, the new tech that has been "just around the corner" for 6+ years is OLED, which (when mature) should offer genuine enhancements in video quality. We may finally see commercial shipments of OLED screens in typical HDTV screen sizes in the next 12 months, we have already seen smaller screens and larger prototypes. However, these early production screens may have teething problems and just the cost of initial rollout of OLED technology alone will make OLEDs extremely pricey, as the manufacturers write off the cost of a new production line. My guess is in the range of 2X to 3X the present cost of LED/LCD, and 3X to 4X the present cost of PDP.

I would not wait for OLED, myself. I would loook for a good deal on LCD or PDP, depending upon my preference. Both are mature technologies that offer stunning HDTV quality.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #4 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 228
I too agree with Gary and Randy above. I'd add though that I wouldn't wait for the new Apple TV, which we should see around Q4 of this this year or Q1 of next year (more likely). I'm an Apple fan boy myself but I've never been one to be the "first on the block" to have a new Apple product. The only time I was "first on the block" was in 1984 with the introduction of the Macintosh (128k). It's always best to wait for gen 2 or 3. If your can get another year or so out of your current plasma, and really want an Apple TV, then I'd wait. Otherwise, Q4 might be a good time to start looking around because of the upcoming holiday sales. Or wait until January or February to buy this year's discontinued models at a really good discount before the 2013s are released.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Yes, there is a lot of new tech coming next year like OLED, IGZO LCD, AppleTV, 4K resolution, Large Format 90"-120" LCD. Not to mention possible releases of quantum dots, CLED, Red Ray Laser projection. We are definitely at the beginnings of the next gen, but unless you were planing on spending on the high end for your display, which is 8-12,000, you are better off picking up something now and waiting until the dust settles and price become reasonable.
post #6 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Wait till either Black Friday or the month between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Depending on what screen size you are looking at of course. In the bigger screen sizes, say 65" or larger you may find that Sharp and Panasonic and Samsung (plasma's) will be competing heavily for that market. With Sharp coming out with the 90" you may see some good deals on the current 70 and 80" models. With Panasonc announcing a joint effort with Sony on OLED you also may see some good deals on the current 50 series. Depending on the price and customers desire of the LG and Samsung OLED's you may see some good deals on all LED/LCD and plasma displays.
post #7 of 18 Old 06-22-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I know that there are all these rumours, but I'm still not convinced that even Apple is in a position to revolutionise the TV market. Televisions, unlike computers, phones and tablet devices, aren't something which most people are going to replace every year or two. Most people buy a television and replace it when the old one breaks, or if they move. They aren't like computers where every couple of years they're feeling slower and slower over time as newer, more demanding software is released.

For longer than the Apple Television rumours have been around, people have been saying that apps have been coming to their AppleTV boxes, and nothing has ever come of that. In fact, aside from a UI refresh earlier this year, little has been done to the AppleTV boxes at all.

And Apple's displays aren't anything special at all. Well, the good thing is that Apple is pushing for high resolutions, but they're still using IPS panels, which are OK on mobile devices, but on the desktop they don't have any internal calibration options, and IPS panels seem to be stuck around 1,000:1 contrast which is acceptable for monitors because you don't have any better options, but dreadful for a television.

Even if they were to bring out a 4K "retina" display, the resolution might be good, but unless they're doing something else with it, I wouldn't want one. IPS is low enough contrast that even using a full array local-dimming solution wouldn't be great, because you'd have serious blooming/haloing.

And don't forget about what happened with the iPad. Rumours of that were going around for years before Apple introduced it. (most of which were along the lines of "it's coming out this year, we're sure of it!")

Generally speaking, Spring–Summer is the right time to buy a television if you care about having the latest technology, and the longest time before new models are released. Buying in Fall–Winter can save you a bit of money though, but don't be disappointed when new models are shown off/announced at CES in January.

And as others have said, the television market is full of false promises. There's always something new coming right around the corner, that is actually five years away or more. Yes, OLED displays are supposedly finally coming out after more than five years of them being shown off at trade shows, and being ready for prime time now, but they're going to be very expensive, and it's still going to be a few years until more manufacturers offer them, and they work out the kinks.
post #8 of 18 Old 06-23-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
So, it sounds like I shouldn't hesitate in buying. I was apprehensive about Apple's rumored TV too, only because I need a TV with a wide viewing angle. I doubt if Apple did introduce a TV it would be plasma...

No comes the real hard part! Picking one out!
post #9 of 18 Old 06-23-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:

So, it sounds like I shouldn't hesitate in buying. I was apprehensive about Apple's rumored TV too, only because I need a TV with a wide viewing angle. I doubt if Apple did introduce a TV it would be plasma...
No comes the real hard part! Picking one out!

Correct. Apple's first entry into the tv market will be either LCD or LCD/LED.
post #10 of 18 Old 06-23-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

The only reason to wait till Fall/Winter is to save $$$$$. According to Panasonic next years models will remain in the current technology cycle which means expect no major improvements for 2013. OLED's will be too expensive for the masses for at least 3 years. I have seen nothing in the 2013 pipeline to indicate that any manufacture will differ from Panasonics philosophy. So what's the hurry, unless you actually NEED a new TV now. Id saving a few hundred bucks is no big deal that there is no reason to wait.
post #11 of 18 Old 06-24-2012, 09:29 AM

Liked: 12
Your not an Apple "fanboy" your an Apple fan. Fanboys do not admit they are fanboys ^^.
post #12 of 18 Old 08-08-2012, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

I know that there are all these rumours, but I'm still not convinced that even Apple is in a position to revolutionise the TV market. Televisions, unlike computers, phones and tablet devices, aren't something which most people are going to replace every year or two. Most people buy a television and replace it when the old one breaks, or if they move. They aren't like computers where every couple of years they're feeling slower and slower over time as newer, more demanding software is released.
For longer than the Apple Television rumours have been around, people have been saying that apps have been coming to their AppleTV boxes, and nothing has ever come of that. In fact, aside from a UI refresh earlier this year, little has been done to the AppleTV boxes at all.
And Apple's displays aren't anything special at all. Well, the good thing is that Apple is pushing for high resolutions, but they're still using IPS panels, which are OK on mobile devices, but on the desktop they don't have any internal calibration options, and IPS panels seem to be stuck around 1,000:1 contrast which is acceptable for monitors because you don't have any better options, but dreadful for a television.
Even if they were to bring out a 4K "retina" display, the resolution might be good, but unless they're doing something else with it, I wouldn't want one. IPS is low enough contrast that even using a full array local-dimming solution wouldn't be great, because you'd have serious blooming/haloing.
And don't forget about what happened with the iPad. Rumours of that were going around for years before Apple introduced it. (most of which were along the lines of "it's coming out this year, we're sure of it!")
Generally speaking, Spring–Summer is the right time to buy a television if you care about having the latest technology, and the longest time before new models are released. Buying in Fall–Winter can save you a bit of money though, but don't be disappointed when new models are shown off/announced at CES in January.
And as others have said, the television market is full of false promises. There's always something new coming right around the corner, that is actually five years away or more. Yes, OLED displays are supposedly finally coming out after more than five years of them being shown off at trade shows, and being ready for prime time now, but they're going to be very expensive, and it's still going to be a few years until more manufacturers offer them, and they work out the kinks.

AVS members replace their TV's at a rapid fire pace. wink.gif

I am a big Apple guy but I remain skeptical on Apple releasing their own TV.

I must be skeptical because I just bought a PN60E7000 plasma TV about 3 weeks ago. biggrin.gif

I am skeptical because if Apple does not have the content for this TV, then why bother. So you can hook up a cable box too it. That would make Apple cringe. Using a crappy UI on an Apple product would make Steve Jobs roll in his grave.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-08-2012, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

LCD with LED back lighting of some sort.

Apple using that tech now.

If it did come out, I would expect a,pretty sweet picture.

I just remain skeptical.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-08-2012, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Steve Jobs roll in his grave.
Let him.
post #15 of 18 Old 08-08-2012, 06:03 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Wait till either Black Friday or the month between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Depending on what screen size you are looking at of course. In the bigger screen sizes, say 65" or larger you may find that Sharp and Panasonic and Samsung (plasma's) will be competing heavily for that market. With Sharp coming out with the 90" you may see some good deals on the current 70 and 80" models. With Panasonc announcing a joint effort with Sony on OLED you also may see some good deals on the current 50 series. Depending on the price and customers desire of the LG and Samsung OLED's you may see some good deals on all LED/LCD and plasma displays.

Well my new theory is act 2-weeks before Black Friday.
I probably would have a LG 55LW6500 but I waited until Black Friday and supplies dried up and prices sky-rocketed.Makes sense since Amazon has 2 week price guarantee, the price of the LG dropped to minimum 2 weeks before and that was the buy date. You know they have some really good deals on Black Friday but not necessarily on the hot sellers.
post #16 of 18 Old 08-08-2012, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

1: Being an apple fan boy, the thought of an apple tv is appealing. I know rumors of an apple tv are heating up, and I'd hate to buy a panel without knowing what they may offer.
Any Apple TV is sure to be a rebadged LCD, probably from Sharp, with a different user interface. You may like the interface but don't expect a revelation in picture quality.
Quote:
2: Also being an apple fan boy, it's hard to get past the beauty of their new screens. It makes me wonder if there are any higher resolution displays on the way out. I know 1080p is still fairly new, and not even fully adopted yet, but is there any chance we could have new higher res tech in the next 3-5 years?
I don't think the television industry wants to because it boosts costs and does little for profits because the only content available in 4k are still photographs. We'll see desktop monitors moving slowly to higher resolutions and TVs will follow. You can buy high res displays now at a high price but it's going to take a long time for the high resolution to migrate down to the mainstream unless Apple forces change.
Quote:
3: Speaking of new technology... I read an article last night that said most manufacturers release their new models in September. Is this true? And if so are there any new technology breakthroughs in the pipeline?
More like March to June. I think we'll see much greater advances in mainstream televisions in 2014 than 2013. Panasonic's 2013 plasmas are unlikely to be more than minor upgrades over this year's and Samsung is half hearted with what's a dying technology.

Unless your plasma is 768p or a weak model I wouldn't be in any hurry to buy a new TV if it was me.
post #17 of 18 Old 12-10-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Using a crappy UI on an Apple product would make Steve Jobs roll in his grave.

Oh, because the iTunes UI is a TOWER of sensibility. smile.gif

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #18 of 18 Old 12-13-2012, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

are there any new technology breakthroughs in the pipeline?

Yes
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page