Why no TV APP for that? (not so SMART TVs) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-25-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Now the Apple Geniuses (or Evils depending on your ideology) made APPS a big part of the iTunes eco-system and lots would say helps bring tons of people buying into their products.

So why don't the TV vendors do that?

It seems Google made an anemic effort, but what's wrong? why hasn't it caught up? Technology? Politics? No Steve-Jobs genius at TV companies?

Gimme a real answer people! smile.gif

Funny App cartoon.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

Now the Apple Geniuses (or Evils depending on your ideology) made APPS a big part of the iTunes eco-system and lots would say helps bring tons of people buying into their products.
So why don't the TV vendors do that?
It seems Google made an anemic effort, but what's wrong? why hasn't it caught up? Technology? Politics? No Steve-Jobs genius at TV companies?
Gimme a real answer people! smile.gif
Funny App cartoon.

Perhaps because a significant percentage of tv owners - self included - don't give a hoot about "APPs."

And a significant percentage of those who DO care about apps already own Some Device Other Than a TV that provides them.

Limited Population Example: Our 4 older kids all own at least one HDTV that has SOME form of App / Internet connection; all 4 of them frequently stream from Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube - and who knows what other services.
Yet NOT ONE OF THEM uses their "Smart TV" to access these services. Why? Because they all have AT LEAST TWO other devices that provide access - and have done so for a longer period of time than "Smart TVs" have been on the market.

We've had a couple of "Smart TVs" for over 6 months now - and have used the "Smart" features exactly ZERO times (not counting a Firmware update). We DID use a couple of the Smart features on our first Pan blu-ray player - purchased 2.5 years ago, along with a tv that lacked internet access. Streamed a couple of (FREE) movies from Amazon; called up some of the listed services to see what they consisted of....
And then Just Stopped: Briefly Interesting Curiosities, with no on-going appeal.

As your post seems to suggest, perhaps if the HDTV Apps were Made With Excellence, and then Effectively Marketed, more people would Care - and Use Them. But it is going to be a lot easier for the myriad Alternative Devices to offer upgrades & new services than it will be for the tv manufacturers...
post #3 of 6 Old 06-25-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Having to look down at the "remote" to use the TV seems like a big step backwards to me. If anything, I think we need far more intelligent UI design from manufacturers that would let you remove the majority of buttons from existing remotes, rather than trying to replace them with smartphones/tablets.

And for what it's worth, my friend's new Panasonic TV does have an App that lets you control the TV and use all its smart TV functionality. Seems like a novelty you'll use once or twice and then ignore.
There's also a basic app store and he's been able to download games and other things that run on his TV. It seems like a complete waste of time and effort.

I do think that some "smart TV" features can be useful—if you subscribe to a streaming service, it's nice to be able to access that content directly on the TV without any other devices. The problem I've seen with that, is that TVs are often woefully underpowered for that sort of thing. Navigation is painfully slow, UI is terrible, and oftentimes, you don't even get HD streaming, only a reduced quality stream.

Putting things like ARM cores + Android inside a TV seems like a complete waste of time & money, and frankly I'd rather have the option to save money and simply have a monitor rather than a television with tuners and all that smart tv crap.
Talk of services like OnLive and Gaikai coming to TVs seems like it has a lot of potential, though I don't find the image quality nearly good enough to consider paying for it, and their pricing models seem ridiculous. At $10/month for unlimited play, it would maybe worth considering, but having to pay a subscription and buy the games? Ridiculous.

The only thing I'd actually find useful built into a TV, would be AirPlay streaming support.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-28-2012, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

Perhaps because a significant percentage of tv owners - self included - don't give a hoot about "APPs."
quote]

Thank you. Someone talking sense.

The "App" has become a viral term. How smart of Apple. App this and App that. It's just like the term "organic" nowadays. And "Low-fat" in the 90's.

Same as motion controls. With any luck everyone will be dancing around just to change the TV channels in a few years. I got no issues with my remote control.

I'm just grumpy today.

maybe if they focused on making our tv's run a little quicker in the app department i would be happy.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-28-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I'd be happier if they just got the menus running quicker these days. It's painfully slow navigating around most 2012 displays.
I miss the days of CRTs where you pressed a button and there was no loading, no fancy graphics, or delays, the menus immediately showed up on-screen and were responsive to changes.

I even have to wait a minute or so after turning on the display before I can actually get into the menus on my TV. (it just says "please wait" if I try to do anything other than change channel/input or volume)
post #6 of 6 Old 06-30-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

And a significant percentage of those who DO care about apps already own Some Device Other Than a TV that provides them.

I would consider myself in that category. Redundancy is nice to have if you're not locked into one system. For example, when I bought my LG I specifically didn't want a SmartTV. To me, that's just one more sophisticated component to break which means the tv is down for a repair period. Updating SmartTVs seems to cause headaches for some (Vizi-crap comes to mind) and you're locked into whatever LG or Panasonic ,or who ever, says you have to use. My BD player has built-in WiFi and so does my AppleTV. So I have some redundancy but not a lot. If one of those fails, I still have the TV working just fine. It's a lot cheaper to replace the BD player or AppleTV or Roku or whatever you have if you want/need better apps, etc. I think tv mfrs should concentrate on improving their display panels and associated consumer controls than trying to make a tv that is all-in-one to everyone. However, that may change once Apple delivers their first Apple HDTV and I think you're starting to see other tv mfrs trying to get a jump and anticipate what Apple has up it's sleeve. However, that brings us back to proprietary apps on the tv and the all-in-one concept.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Displays , Lcd Hdtv , Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page