Elite or VT50? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 07-10-2012, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gentlemen,

I've been slowly making my way through the posts, but haven't found the answers/guidance/information that I need. Here's some information to hopefully guide your advice.

I purchased a Fujitsu 50" plasma (720p) in 2006 and it has been the center of my home entertainment experience since (and very happy with it). (I purchased a Samsung 46" A950 in 2009 for the bedroom -- also a great TV and relevant to this post). I'm moving in a few weeks to a much bigger place and have decided to purchase a new set for the main viewing room. It is a large, open room that is adjacent to the kitchen and breakfast nook. There will be small windows behind (above) and a wall of windows on one side of the new TV. There will be a fireplace on the side opposite the wall of windows. The wall of windows is a southern exposure and is wooded, so uncontrolled light should not be an issue. It will likely be mounted to the wall.

I am looking to purchase the largest screen I can with the best picture quality. I watch primarily sports and HD content. It will be used for gaming (Xbox and PS3) and blu-ray movies. As far as size, I have been looking at screens that are 65" or larger. I have been to Best Buy repeatedly over the last 5 months to inspect and test the screens.

I've identified the following TVs from my Best Buy/Magnolia research: (1) the Elite 70"; (2) the Panasonic P65VT50 and (3) the Samsung 65" 8000 series LCD (both this year's and last year's models). I've also looked at the Samsung 64" Series 8 plasma. Having reviewed the TVs at numerous BBs in several stores in different states, the quality of picture varies with the site and source (i.e., the Elite looks best one place while the VT50 looks better at another place). At this point, it's information overload. Naturally, I'm here asking for more! smile.gif

I thought that I would choose the Elite easily, given the other reviews, but I am concerned about its ability to handle contrasts in dark scenes (like other LCDs). I'm wondering if movies like LOTR, Batman or Master & Commander would become unwatchable given their dark color palette and an inability to convey details in the dark scenes. I also worry about the ability of the Elite to handle motion, particularly sports motion (unfortunately, I have been unable to see live sports on the Elite given the setup in the BB stores). I also worry if it will exhibit a "soap opera" effect (that I have been able to eliminate with my A950, although I see it often on many LCDs) and lag while gaming.

I saw Avatar on the VT50 and thought that I would go select the Panasonic, but when I went back and saw a different feed, it did not look as good. Great TV, but it looked dim, even compared to the Samsung plasma next to it. I wondered if it would hold up in an environment that is brighter than the current environment for my Fujitsu.

Please note that I have added Samsung to the process because I have been impressed with their quality over the last few years. I like/prefer the warm color saturation of Samsung TVs (which may just be a function of calibration and setup). This is from a guy who would not consider a TV if it didn't say Sony on it. But I bought my Fujitsu because it was clearly superior to what Sony was offering then and the same applied to the A950 in 2009. That said, I am not wed to any manufacturer or technology (plasma/LCD).

Hoping to pull the trigger soon. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 07-10-2012, 10:05 AM

The Elite handles contrast as good as I've seen. Blacks and dark scenes are awesome and details are as good as my old Kuro. As far as sports go there should be no reason to hesitate. The elite is fast and handles motion great. I watched primarily football all of last year with no issues what so ever, actually looked just as good as my Kuro with more pop. Basketball looked great this past season and baseball and golf look nothign short of perfect. I'm a huge sports fan and this was a major concern going from all plasma's and never owning an LED set. regarding SOE I don't use any motion enhancement so I have not seen any SOE. Skin tone and face shots is where I see the most improvement with the elite. I never once was in awe when looking at news anchors or commercials with my other sets. Now I find myself watching a lot of local news broadcasts because the facial details are so sharp, this was something I did not see in stores either. The elite is just plain sharp and it makes my other tv's look very very fuzzy and soft. This is where I thought the elite shined the best, everything is super crisp. I've owned 5 plasmas (still have 2) in my lifetime and the elite was my first jump to LED tech and I can say it's the absolute best move I made.

PRO-60X5FD
PRO-70X5FD
post #3 of 45 Old 07-10-2012, 10:50 AM

Liked: 11
Checkin out tv's at bb or magnolia is difficult to judge because the tv settings are so different from one to another. Fact is the vt50 and elite are the two best tv's u can buy today. Both have excellent blacks and shadow depth. elite slightly better blacks while vt50 slightly better shadow depth. calibrated the vt50 has better color. Elite will be brighter for day time use although the vt50 is a very bright plasma. Maxed out the vt50 is much brighter than any samsung plasma. I doubt u would be disappointed either way u went. Too many people over analyze there buying decision. Reviews are pretty unanimous that both tv"s give excellent picture quality. I'm a huge panasonic plasma fan but I would have a tough time passing up on a 70" elite.
post #4 of 45 Old 07-10-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktri View Post

The Elite handles contrast as good as I've seen. Blacks and dark scenes are awesome and details are as good as my old Kuro. As far as sports go there should be no reason to hesitate. The elite is fast and handles motion great. I watched primarily football all of last year with no issues what so ever, actually looked just as good as my Kuro with more pop. Basketball looked great this past season and baseball and golf look nothign short of perfect. I'm a huge sports fan and this was a major concern going from all plasma's and never owning an LED set. regarding SOE I don't use any motion enhancement so I have not seen any SOE. Skin tone and face shots is where I see the most improvement with the elite. I never once was in awe when looking at news anchors or commercials with my other sets. Now I find myself watching a lot of local news broadcasts because the facial details are so sharp, this was something I did not see in stores either. The elite is just plain sharp and it makes my other tv's look very very fuzzy and soft. This is where I thought the elite shined the best, everything is super crisp. I've owned 5 plasmas (still have 2) in my lifetime and the elite was my first jump to LED tech and I can say it's the absolute best move I made.

pinktri--

thanks for the review, which was extremely helpful and exactly what I've been looking for. Many people just notice that it's a big TV or that it has a nice aesthetic, but hearing from an actual owner helps. Thanks for the information about motion and sports.

You identified other attributes that are important-- crispness, skin tones and contrast. Thanks for relaying your experiences with plasmas too. I think my experience is similar to yours and it sounds like your tastes are similar to mine in what you expect from a screen. Thanks also for reminding me that it will look different in my place than it does in a store. Given a chance to tinker, I'm sure I can get it to suit my preferences.

Thanks!
post #5 of 45 Old 07-10-2012, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby1015 View Post

Checkin out tv's at bb or magnolia is difficult to judge because the tv settings are so different from one to another. Fact is the vt50 and elite are the two best tv's u can buy today. Both have excellent blacks and shadow depth. elite slightly better blacks while vt50 slightly better shadow depth. calibrated the vt50 has better color. Elite will be brighter for day time use although the vt50 is a very bright plasma. Maxed out the vt50 is much brighter than any samsung plasma. I doubt u would be disappointed either way u went. Too many people over analyze there buying decision. Reviews are pretty unanimous that both tv"s give excellent picture quality. I'm a huge panasonic plasma fan but I would have a tough time passing up on a 70" elite.

Toby,

Again, thanks for reminding me about the shortcomings of comparing between store locations without a fixed reference standard. I agree that they are both excellent TVs. I just don't want to have any buyer's remorse after pulling the trigger on one. If I get the Elite, I don't want to think that I could have gotten a better tv for less. If I get the VT50, I don't want to think I could have gotten a larger TV that handles bright rooms better. Of course, I need to evaluate all the variables but I want to ask the questions now (and place a personal value on each) before I make the selection.
post #6 of 45 Old 07-10-2012, 11:29 AM

I can say I completely agree with Toby's remarks, either way you cannot lose! I can't stress it enough. My best buddy who was also in the market for a new TV who currently has 2 Panny plasma's recently purchased the VT per my recommendation. I can say we both love our sets for different reasons and all that matters is what you like. Never for once have I thought hmmmm.....the cyan color looks off and he never thought hmmmm....lets try and hear some buzzing. Bottom line is both sets are great. The color or pulsing has never been an issue for me, the only thing I wish the elite could do better with is angled viewing. My 70 is used straight on but my 60 is used in a sectional couch environment so I put the tv on a swivel which works great.

PRO-60X5FD
PRO-70X5FD
post #7 of 45 Old 07-10-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

One question is whether the Elite is due for an update. I heard earlier this year not to expect a refresh, given the high technology level in the current model and the high cost (and lack of true comparable/substitutes). Now I read that an updated Elite may soon be available. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Naturally, it benefits me in two ways if they do: a better TV with newer technology or the ability to get the current model cheaper.

Any information is helpful.
post #8 of 45 Old 07-10-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca42 View Post

One question is whether the Elite is due for an update. I heard earlier this year not to expect a refresh, given the high technology level in the current model and the high cost (and lack of true comparable/substitutes). Now I read that an updated Elite may soon be available. Has anyone heard anything about this?
Naturally, it benefits me in two ways if they do: a better TV with newer technology or the ability to get the current model cheaper.
Any information is helpful.

I haven't heard anything in months, but earlier in the year the rumor was that an update would be in the September-October timeframe on the elite.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #9 of 45 Old 07-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I haven't heard anything in months, but earlier in the year the rumor was that an update would be in the September-October timeframe on the elite.

I think we might see a 80" Elite-Lite this year. I wouldn't expect the next Elite to come out until early 2013. When talking to a guy at Best Buy (not an idiot), he said late this year they will pushing hard to get rid of their current Elite's with the expectation that Sharp will be delivering new Elites in March and a Elite-Lite late this year. I don't know how accurate that is. The guy was extremely knowledgable though (I anticipate he reads these forums).

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
post #10 of 45 Old 07-12-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 View Post

I think we might see a 80" Elite-Lite this year. I wouldn't expect the next Elite to come out until early 2013. When talking to a guy at Best Buy (not an idiot), he said late this year they will pushing hard to get rid of their current Elite's with the expectation that Sharp will be delivering new Elites in March and a Elite-Lite late this year. I don't know how accurate that is. The guy was extremely knowledgable though (I anticipate he reads these forums).

Could be true. I'm out of the loop currently on Sharp's plans and personally uninterested after being twice burned on promises of a 9x5 series.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #11 of 45 Old 07-13-2012, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Could be true. I'm out of the loop currently on Sharp's plans and personally uninterested after being twice burned on promises of a 9x5 series.

So I talked to the same guy at BB yesterday and he wasn't so sure anymore frown.gif

Pioneer KRP-500m
Panasonic 65VT50
M&K LCR-750s Fronts and Center
M&K M-4T Surrounds
X-Rite i1pro
post #12 of 45 Old 07-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
If you watch Hockey, the Elite won't have the issue Plasma's seem to have of bright flashes that seem to bother many hockey fans.

The Elite will never suffer from IR or possible Burn In.

With all those windows you have, and how hard it will be to control the light, a brighter TV would be better for your location.

While I like plasmas and have had a few, your room sounds like it will need an Elite. Unless you never watch durring the day. biggrin.gif

Although some people think the Elite's glossy screen is to reflective.

buytme
post #13 of 45 Old 07-14-2012, 11:36 AM

David. Why is it every time you post it has something to do with some plasma hockey issue? This fella has made no mention of being a hockey fan as far as i'm aware of. This guy seems more concerned about how movies look. Even if you're a hockey fan, the seasons only 5 months or so. That means the majority of the time you're going to be watching something else! On top of it, the issue you speak of seem pretty minor considering you're the only person who brings it up. Every freakin plasma vs lcd thread heres David, "if you watch hockey look out for plasma". Can't you find some info thats a little more usefull?
post #14 of 45 Old 07-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
To be fair he is at least explaining why this time. It has however been said that energy star specifications only apply to certian picture modes and i would love to read a post of someone who doesn't like their plasma for bright white scenes to see whether or not they have tried different picture modes. In this case David has a point, the elite will probably do better in a bright room even if your not the kind of person who maxes out the contrast (hopefully you aren't) It might be nice to have the range to be able to calibrate the screen to a brighter maximum output, Other than using a light meter to test the ambient light of the room and comparing it to the maximum light output of the tv there's really no way to know unless you try the tv's for yourself.

Edit: You know what scratch that now that i think about it, if the st50 has a good anti glare filter and the elite has a glossy screen then i don't really no which will do better. It sure would be nice if there was an lcd that actually had comparable picture performance and an anti glare option but I guess there just isn't enough demand for it.
post #15 of 45 Old 07-14-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have to tell you that while I'm sure the Elite will be brighter than my VT50 in a bright room, I'm not sure it wold actually be doing any better. I'm really quite content with the way the VT50 is handling ambient light and daylight and it's actually plenty bright enough to enjoy. I just don't really by the notion that it's automatic that bright-room viewing so clearly favors the Elite.

post #16 of 45 Old 07-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

I wouldn't think either would be drastically better now that i put some thought into it I kind of started the fire in the other thread though so i figured a better approach was in order here to avoid the cliff biggrin.gif. It took awhile for the glossy screen part to sink in. Is there any kind of anti glare tech behind the glossy screen on the elite?
post #17 of 45 Old 07-14-2012, 12:57 PM

Mik James. Your post are well thought out helpfull suggestions that I can appreciate. You're open minded to other peoples opinions as well. David is a freakin yahoo.
post #18 of 45 Old 07-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks man I try my best not to be a "yahoo" biggrin.gif
post #19 of 45 Old 07-14-2012, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B View Post

If you watch Hockey, the Elite won't have the issue Plasma's seem to have of bright flashes that seem to bother many hockey fans.
The Elite will never suffer from IR or possible Burn In.
With all those windows you have, and how hard it will be to control the light, a brighter TV would be better for your location.
While I like plasmas and have had a few, your room sounds like it will need an Elite. Unless you never watch durring the day. biggrin.gif
Although some people think the Elite's glossy screen is to reflective.
David, you keep mentioning you have owned plasmas and even references owning a 3 year old Panasonic, yet everytime you reference one, you mess up the model numbers such as "VT10", and when I ask you which ones you've owned, you ignore me.

As someone who still has a VT and Elite in my home, I can firmly tell you that you are way off base.
post #20 of 45 Old 07-14-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have to tell you that while I'm sure the Elite will be brighter than my VT50 in a bright room, I'm not sure it wold actually be doing any better. I'm really quite content with the way the VT50 is handling ambient light and daylight and it's actually plenty bright enough to enjoy. I just don't really by the notion that it's automatic that bright-room viewing so clearly favors the Elite.
Rogo, I have a window directly opposite the tv with 3 large windows to the left. Both tvs have glare and suck as it is noticable regardless in low apl scenes. The difference is the VT it is semi diffused which forces the panel lose contrast, but blacks hold up well. The Elite just literally mirrors the reflection.
post #21 of 45 Old 07-14-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

I wouldn't think either would be drastically better now that i put some thought into it I kind of started the fire in the other thread though so i figured a better approach was in order here to avoid the cliff biggrin.gif. It took awhile for the glossy screen part to sink in. Is there any kind of anti glare tech behind the glossy screen on the elite?
No.
post #22 of 45 Old 07-15-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

Rogo, I have a window directly opposite the tv with 3 large windows to the left. Both tvs have glare and suck as it is noticable regardless in low apl scenes. The difference is the VT it is semi diffused which forces the panel lose contrast, but blacks hold up well. The Elite just literally mirrors the reflection.

Thanks for the insight.

post #23 of 45 Old 07-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

If you've never read about the people returning Plasma's because of the hockey flashing, you obviously don't read the forums.

It's Ok, you can have your opinion about me, but if the OP buys a plasma, does in fact get annoyed by Plasma's inherent floating and flashing brightness problems, will you buy it from him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby1015 View Post

Mik James. Your post are well thought out helpfull suggestions that I can appreciate. You're open minded to other peoples opinions as well. David is a freakin yahoo.

buytme
post #24 of 45 Old 07-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

David, you keep mentioning you have owned plasmas and even references owning a 3 year old Panasonic, yet everytime you reference one, you mess up the model numbers such as "VT10", and when I ask you which ones you've owned, you ignore me.
As someone who still has a VT and Elite in my home, I can firmly tell you that you are way off base.

So you're elite has IR? Or is your VT is brighter then your Elite?

Sorry, but if you think either is true, you don't watch your TVs.

What does it matter what models I've had? And now are you trying to say Panasonic never had a VT 10 model?

Truely, i'm not sure where you get your information, but Panasonic did make a VT 10 VT 10 IRElite's do not have IR, and they are much brighter then VT50s.

If you would like to argue about any of your miss information I will gladly take it to PMs, as it serves no purpose here.

buytme
post #25 of 45 Old 07-16-2012, 02:42 PM

Liked: 12
David I don't ever remember a VT10 there was a V10 but not a VT10. Just because someone types it in on an internet site does not make it so and you linking to it is telling.
post #26 of 45 Old 07-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Since when do all plasmas have floating brightness problems? Flash lighting is a problem with lcds not plasmas. The only plasmas i know of that have floating brightness problems are 2011 Samsungs (the ones you apparently love so much) and it probably has more to do with Samsung's insistance on implementing dynamic contrast in all of their displays not plasma tech itself.
Noone but you has given mis information David, we haven't had the chance to as we have been correcting yours since the beggining of the thread so that others who see the thread don't get the wrong idea about plasmas and lcds wink.gif
post #27 of 45 Old 07-16-2012, 04:39 PM

I've sold thousands of plasmas over the 11 years i,ve been selling tv's and have never had a customer bring one back because of floating brightness issues, or bright pops in the image. And no Panasonic has not made a vt10. The first model with vt was the vt25. Like Mik said any recent "brightness pops" I've heard about are with Samsung 2011 plasmas. No I don't read every thread humanly possible, so if there is one about plasma and hockey, i haven't read it. I can tell u during the NHL playoffs I watched several hours of hockey on the vt50 and never noticed any flicker,popping, or picture issues. Frankly nit picking over one instance where the tv could possibly struggle, especially one that effects such a small percentage of people, is ridiculous considering all the other areas of image quality that it kicks ass at. There is a reason many if not most experts consider the vt50 to be the best tv money can buy. And I'm obviously not the only one who thinks you're a yahoo!
post #28 of 45 Old 07-16-2012, 05:57 PM

Liked: 12
I posted this in the VT thread but some of you may not have seen this. Check out the Value Electronics flat panel shootout: http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/LED-TV-vs-Plasma-TV-2012-Value-Electronics-HDTV-Shootout.shtml
Quote:
For the eighth year in a row, Robert Zohn, owner of Value Electronics in Scarsdale, NY has graciously hosted the annual HDTV shootout. It's a simple concept: put six of the best TVs on the market along the wall of a darkened room, ask four top calibrators to tweak them to perfection and invite people to vote on their favorites.

The Contenders:
•Panasonic TC-P65VT50 65-inch plasma HDTV
•Samsung PN64E8000 64-inch plasma HDTV
•LG 60PM9700 60-inch plasma HDTV
•Samsung UN60ES8000 60-inch LED-lit LCD HDTV (side lit)
•ELITE PRO-60X5FD 60-inch LED/LCD HDTV (full array LED backlit)
•Panasonic TC-L47WT50 47-inch LED-lit LCD HDTV

Be sure to also check out the Home Theatre Geeks video/podcast; Kevin Miller from the shoot out is the guest: http://twit.tv/show/home-theater-geeks/113

It's a great read (with full results) and the podcast is a lot of fun and well worth your time. So.... which TV came in first? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The vt50 was the winner with the Elite in 2nd!
post #29 of 45 Old 07-16-2012, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B View Post

So you're elite has IR? Or is your VT is brighter then your Elite?
Sorry, but if you think either is true, you don't watch your TVs.
What does it matter what models I've had? And now are you trying to say Panasonic never had a VT 10 model?
Truely, i'm not sure where you get your information, but Panasonic did make a VT 10 VT 10 IRElite's do not have IR, and they are much brighter then VT50s.
If you would like to argue about any of your miss information I will gladly take it to PMs, as it serves no purpose here.
David, what are you talking about? You seriously come out of left field with your posts and are they incredibly incoherent, my brain hurts trying to read them. It is like descrambling code.

No, there was NEVER a VT10. You don't even know the model numbers. The T in their lineups were designated to distinguish their 3D models. It was the V10. The first T was the VT20 which was a best buy exclusive in a 50" screen size. The regular production run was the VT25. They also had the G and GT series, again, the same concept.

Your lack of any knowledge and the context of your responses are very telling. Let's look at the data, shall we?

You owned Panasonic plasmas, but do not know the model numbers.
You don't understand nor comprehend TV basics.
You never answer anything objectively.
The context of your responses to others, are never relevant.

I have to ask, are you trolling, or is this just you pulling a big (late) april fools joke on us?
post #30 of 45 Old 07-16-2012, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebernazz View Post

David I don't ever remember a VT10 there was a V10 but not a VT10. Just because someone types it in on an internet site does not make it so and you linking to it is telling.
You don't remember it, because it never existed. smile.gif

Him linking to it is VERY telling. Like I mentioned above, it has to be a joke, and if it isn't, it is pretty scary.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page