best 55"-60" on the market today - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-20-2012, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I want to replace a Pioneer Kuro KRP-500A (9.5G elite panel i believe) which will move to my 2nd home.

My priorities are:
1) picture quality--i want something that is not a downgrade from the kuro atleast in terms of black levels.
2) good glare protection--there will be a huge glass window on one side of the living room and two lamps on opposite walls.
3) no ugly speakers. the tv will be wall-mounted and hooked up to a Linn Majik DSM (hdmi) for audio duties. builtin speakers have to be hidden or detachable.

nice to haves:
1) good network options. ideally able to map samba shares and can handle mkv files. atleast dlna with mkv support. i have a synology NAS with lots of videos and want to get rid of my Popcorn Hour A300 if its an option.
2) 3d support--why not... although i will rarely be using this.
3) skype support also a nice to have

The panasonic plasmas appear to be the best out there and i will look at them--any others I should consider? budget is up to 5k. my room is too small for anything bigger than 60.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-20-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post

I want to replace a Pioneer Kuro KRP-500A (9.5G elite panel i believe) which will move to my 2nd home.
My priorities are:
1) picture quality--i want something that is not a downgrade from the kuro atleast in terms of black levels.
2) good glare protection--there will be a huge glass window on one side of the living room and two lamps on opposite walls.
3) no ugly speakers. the tv will be wall-mounted and hooked up to a Linn Majik DSM (hdmi) for audio duties. builtin speakers have to be hidden or detachable.
nice to haves:
1) good network options. ideally able to map samba shares and can handle mkv files. atleast dlna with mkv support. i have a synology NAS with lots of videos and want to get rid of my Popcorn Hour A300 if its an option.
2) 3d support--why not... although i will rarely be using this.
3) skype support also a nice to have
The panasonic plasmas appear to be the best out there and i will look at them--any others I should consider? budget is up to 5k. my room is too small for anything bigger than 60.

1). Only the Elite LED will equal the Kuro in black levels, and be slightly better in low APL scenes.
2). The Elite LED will have glare, but combats it with high light output. You will have glare regardless of which premium panel you purchase but no worse than your Kuro.
3). The Elite is a great looking display with focus on the image only, nothing to draw attention to the panel itself.

Because you do not want to sacrifice black levels, the Elite is the only option. The Panasonic offers better color saturation and motion but does not have the black levels of the Elite. The Elite also handles 3D better than the Panasonic. There are owners in the VT thread who stream MKV files to their panels.

The Elite is right within your budget, below it in fact.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-20-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 140
As long as point number 2 is set in stone then I agree the Elite is your only option. As good as the 2012 Panny's are I have seen not one single review that says they equal the Pioneers black levels. As a matter of fact they all mention the they do not. Close but no cigar. Of course you'll pay for a 60" Elite but it sound like that price is acceptable to your budget.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-24-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
With almost everyone using glossy screens you will get some form of glare with open windows and bright lighting.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page