Finally taking the plunge - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-22-2012, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been a long time lurker trying to gather all the info I need to make a good decision. I decided that for my Birthday I am going to do something special for myself, which i have not done a in a very long time. I decided i am going to finally replace my old Sony Trinitron 32-inch crt with a large screen flat panel to watch HD and blu-ray on.

I have decided that since I am going to replace old reliable, I am going to go big or nothing at all.

Size - 55-60 inch screen size range.
Budget - $1200-1700 max.
TV location - Living Room - The living room is kind of dark to begin with as my house sits in the shade most of the day. If I pull the curtains it gets really dark.
TV Watching Habits - Not many sports, general TV, action movies, animated movies with lots of bright colors (pixar, etc.)

Here are some of the TVs I have been looking at so far:

1. Panasonic P55ST50 - I have been reading the ST50 series are some of the best for picture quality.
2. Sharp LC-60LE640U
3. Sharp LC-60LE745U

I am leaning towards the Panasonic ST50 as have nothing but great things about it. Ia m looking to keep this tv for a while. Any and all help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-22-2012, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I got a new ST50 recently.
With your kind of dark living room location it should be excellent there - especially for movies in the dark!
post #3 of 10 Old 07-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
St50, you might even be able to get away with a ut50 or u50 in that environment without any issues or noticeable loss of picture quality (assuming no calibration) that way you could get a bigger screen for less money smile.gif
The sharps probably wouldn't work very well for you, the smaller models like the 60" (not all that small tongue.gif ) are edge lit and the differences in brightness across the screen would probably be noticeable in a dim room.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-23-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 42
What is your viewing distance to your main seating? This should be used to determine the screen size.

What are your video sources? I ask because if a significant portion of the material is SD, an HDTV will only show you flaws. Do you have over-the-air HD broadcasts, cable, DSS? Streaming video boxes? Are any of theses sources SD and not HD?

Lastly, are there lighting sources in the room that might refect off the screen? (I assume not, since a Trinitron is flat glass, but it's good to ask.)

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #5 of 10 Old 07-23-2012, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
My seating distance is between 6.5-8.5 feet, depending where I sit in the room.

My source is Comcast cable. I do not have HD yet, as my current tv does not support HD. I plan to add the HD service once I have a tv that can play HD programming, then I plan to watch my normal shows in HD instead of SD. I alpos plan to buy a blu-ray player when I buy the new TV to take advantage of the better picture provided by blue-ray.

The lighting sources are 1 table lamp about 1 foot tall with a 40 watt bulb. it sits behind the tv to allow enough light to see stuff in the room, but not enough to cause reflections or wash out the screen. Sometimes I do not use them and it is pretty dark, with just a hint of light to see where the furniture is from the kitchen doorway..
post #6 of 10 Old 07-24-2012, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 42
From that seating distance I would personally go for a 60" model. Do get the BluRay player, and do upgrade the cable to HD. I sit that distance from my 100" front projection screen and it is fine. I sit the same distance from my 46" HDTV in the family room and I wish that screen were bigger.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #7 of 10 Old 07-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by critical_level2 View Post

My seating distance is between 6.5-8.5 feet, depending where I sit in the room.
My source is Comcast cable. I do not have HD yet, as my current tv does not support HD. I plan to add the HD service once I have a tv that can play HD programming, then I plan to watch my normal shows in HD instead of SD. I alpos plan to buy a blu-ray player when I buy the new TV to take advantage of the better picture provided by blue-ray......

9 Feet away from a 60ST50: PQ with (most) Blu-ray or HDDVD disks is Wonderful. (Some transfers are simply not up to snuff...)

HOWEVER: PQ with "HD TV" or "Upconverted" SD DVDs ranges from "Ugh" to "Very Good" - with MOST programs falling into a middle ground of "Yes, there are a lot of visible flaws - but look how great a blu-ray looks!"

At 9 feet, a 60" panel will Readily Reveal whatever FLAWS are inherent in the source: and the majority of "HD TV" programming falls at least somewhat short of "HD."
And, of course, Upconverted SD DVDs are merely 480 Blown Up to fit the screen. These actually look Pretty Darn Good on our 50" plasma - at between 9 & 11 feet - but find many of them rather Jarring on the 60" at 9ft.

Fortunately, we have a secondary seating position that is roughly 12 feet back, and that makes all the difference (barring, again, a poor transfer).

Your EYES may differ: my wife is a musician, and comments (& sometimes complains....) about Audio bits that I simply do not "hear."
OTOH, I will often be ready to turn a program (or SD DVD) OFF in disgust because of the PQ, and she will ask "What's wrong with it.??"

Coming from ALL SD, you might not have a problem with cable or upconverted SD DVDs. Just as someone coming from VHS would be WOWED by SD DVDs!
post #8 of 10 Old 07-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
I'm on the same boat as everyone else, the ST50, from a value stand point is probably one the best TV's for 2012. The UT50 is also a great performer, however does not have the louve filter and the Infinite Black Panel that the ST50 boasts. I feel as though the ST50 would outperform the other 2 Sharp models that you posted about in virtually every category. Now keep in mind a lot of that has to do with the set-up up the TV, calibration and etc. The 60" Sharp LC-LE640U is also a very good TV from a value stand point because of the size and bang for buck coupled with the performance that it's shown. I was not impressed with the response time on really every Sharp that I've seen this year, short of the Elites, so if action movies are something you enjoy I was disappointed with the motion lag and ghosting. However the fairly deep black levels, and very good color reproduction may out weigh the ghosting. It's up to you ultimately, but if picture quality is truly number 1 on your list then the ST50 has to be the best way to go, with the UT50 falling in a close second and then the Sharp in 3rd for a bang for buck size perspective. Good luck! Let us know what you decide!

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #9 of 10 Old 07-24-2012, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I was reading all the pluses and minuses for months decided on the 55ST50 a couple of weeks ago and have not looked back its a great TV for the money and my viewing distance is 8feet.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-25-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 189
55st50 is a great choice. If you get a blu-ray player, get one that supports 3D. It only costs about $50 more (Plus $20-$50/pair of glasses).
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page