Sony, Panasonic and Sharp TV divisions melting down in summer 2012 heat - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 149 Old 12-14-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

It seems like the ladder of electronic technology is a rather obvious spiral from the most developed countries towards the most under developed countries. Country A leads the world in electronic development and production until it gets to the fat cat stage then country B borrows that technology and slightly enhances it leads the world because of lower labor rates. Then Country C does the same to country B which in turn is done in by country D. Considering that Country D is China, I wonder if there is even a country E. It's really just one big never ending economical soup.

country e...... vietnam?

neflixis our nemesis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 149 Old 12-14-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I don't think Vietnam is big enough or populated enough. China is so big with such a huge population they may be the top dog for a long long time. Heck, in 40 or 50 years maybe the we'll be country E.
post #123 of 149 Old 12-14-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

I don't think Vietnam is big enough or populated enough. China is so big with such a huge population they may be the top dog for a long long time. Heck, in 40 or 50 years maybe the we'll be country E.

vietnam 87 million people

south korea 50 million

just give them a decade to industrialize

neflixis our nemesis
post #124 of 149 Old 12-15-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I don't care which country makes video displays--what I care about is the size and the picture quality of the displays at prices comparable to the ones we have today.

All I can see is if Sharp goes out of business and plasma goes out of business and OLED costs trillions and can't get above 55-inches without costing trillions is years and years of LCD that sucks and is SMALL!!!

Who wants that?!!!

And I've detected a lot of quietness here at AVS about this HORROR scenario coming true which tends to make me think that it is INEVITABLE!

People have gotten used to the proposition that there is always improvement! There isn't!

Muscle car performance peaked in 1970 and took over 25 years to come back.

Remember Quad? How long did it take to get to Dolby 5.1?

We used to could send Americans to space in our own rockets--now we have to bum a ride from the Russians! What do we have now that is great? Compressed out the wazoo video and audio?

We have become a nation of yakers on blasted cell phones yaking about the BANAL--course that's the more advanced of our species--many have left that to banal texting!

Me personally I'd rather watch great quality TV if I'm going to totally waste time.

We're not going to have that with LCD--can anyone tell me how long it will take to get to 70-inch OLED at 5K or less?

The time BETWEEN the last big plasma and the first affordable big screen OLED will be the DEATH period.

All I can say is stay tuned day by day--when it comes time to pull the trigger on the last big plasma--pull the trigger and hope the set lasts long enough to make it through the LCD DEATH period.
post #125 of 149 Old 12-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Panasonic eyes ending plasma display panel R&D

This is the end..

"But the company is moving to limit investment in plasma displays in the face of technological innovations in the field of liquid crystal displays, they said."

buytme
post #126 of 149 Old 12-17-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

The world is DOOMED to the horror of LCD!!!

Just pray that Panasonic at least produces 2013 plasmas--they may be the last ones produced.
post #127 of 149 Old 12-17-2012, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I'll just sit pretty with my Pioneer then until the overinvested LCD fabs finally break even and OLED is allowed to settle. wink.gif

That article doesn't really tell us anything we haven't already heard for the last several months. Another key piece of info being:
Quote:
But Panasonic will continue plasma panel display production for the time being to incorporate them into televisions and industrial-use displays, they said.

That being said, I wonder what "amazing" development their referencing in the field of LCDs.
post #128 of 149 Old 12-18-2012, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

The world is DOOMED to the horror of LCD!!!
Just pray that Panasonic at least produces 2013 plasmas--they may be the last ones produced.
Inferior black level for the foreseeable future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #129 of 149 Old 12-18-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 436
I still suspect 2014 plasmas will be produced by Panasonic and am highly skeptical of 2015 models. I've been in that mode for some time.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #130 of 149 Old 12-20-2012, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

You just heard it folks! Rogo is skeptical of there being any 2015 Panasonic plasmas.

Why would Samsung or LG make them either?

No way that OLED will not cost trillions in 2015.

In 2015 we will have ONLY LCD!

Who can take it?!

Between now and then you better stock up on non LCD TVs and you better guard them.

In the years that I have been at this forum I never dreamed that video display quality would come down to the LCD horror story apocalyptic holocaust!

The video world is about to enter a depression.

People are so dumb it doesn't even bother them.
post #131 of 149 Old 12-21-2012, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

You just heard it folks! Rogo is skeptical of there being any 2015 Panasonic plasmas.
Why would Samsung or LG make them either?
No way that OLED will not cost trillions in 2015.
In 2015 we will have ONLY LCD!
Who can take it?!
Between now and then you better stock up on non LCD TVs and you better guard them.
In the years that I have been at this forum I never dreamed that video display quality would come down to the LCD horror story apocalyptic holocaust!
The video world is about to enter a depression.
People are so dumb it doesn't even bother them.
You don't know how much I want hear you say these statements in an Alabamian accent. But I do care, but neither PDP or LCD were suitable replacements for CRTs — yet everyone had to have a flat panel and high def. Too bad about SED.
post #132 of 149 Old 12-21-2012, 01:29 PM

^I must interject that plasma has been suitable enuff for me once Pioneer came along.
post #133 of 149 Old 12-21-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

^I must interject that plasma has been suitable enuff for me once Pioneer came along.

+1

don't touch my kuro!

top notch plasma = crt imho

neflixis our nemesis
post #134 of 149 Old 12-21-2012, 07:09 PM

^Aside from the presence of dithering (not detectable by me at typical viewing distances), phosphor trails (which I can't readily detect), slightly dimmer than eye-searing brightness levels (still more than bright enough in a dark environment), max size of 60" (I own the 50") and perhaps some ABL complaints that Chrono has brought to the surface in the past (hardly a complaint for me).
post #135 of 149 Old 12-22-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

top notch plasma = crt imho
That’s a good one!
post #136 of 149 Old 12-22-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by homogenic View Post

You don't know how much I want hear you say these statements in an Alabamian accent. But I do care, but neither PDP or LCD were suitable replacements for CRTs — yet everyone had to have a flat panel and high def. Too bad about SED.

Ah, the now mythical SED. It's exalted status rises as the years go by! Ripe for being romanticized and idealized when you've never actually made into to the mass production stage. For starters, burn-in was said to be a potential issue. eek.gif

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #137 of 149 Old 12-22-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Ah, the now mythical SED. It's exalted status rises as the years go by! Ripe for being romanticized and idealized when you've never actually made into to the mass production stage. For starters, burn-in was said to be a potential issue. eek.gif
If SED ended up being essentially a Plasma with variable pixel brightness, rather than relying on PWM, and lacking an ABL system, that alone would have been a huge improvement over what we have today.

But it doesn't look like SED or FED displays are ever going to make it to market at this point. (SED especially)
post #138 of 149 Old 12-22-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

If SED ended up being essentially a Plasma with variable pixel brightness, rather than relying on PWM, and lacking an ABL system, that alone would have been a huge improvement over what we have today.
But it doesn't look like SED or FED displays are ever going to make it to market at this point. (SED especially)

And the reason we are not getting them is because scale-economics in manufacturing them seemed unlikely to exist.

But any chance of that happening is certainly gone as OLED piggybacks off the techniques perfected over a decade of scaling LCD manufacturing. People keep pooh-poohing that like it doesn't matter, when it is more or less everything in display.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #139 of 149 Old 12-23-2012, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

And the reason we are not getting them is because scale-economics in manufacturing them seemed unlikely to exist.
But any chance of that happening is certainly gone as OLED piggybacks off the techniques perfected over a decade of scaling LCD manufacturing. People keep pooh-poohing that like it doesn't matter, when it is more or less everything in display.
Well SED is dead at this point. I was under the impression that AUO was still developing FED.

But I have very little hope for it ever reaching the market.
post #140 of 149 Old 12-23-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

Well SED is dead at this point. I was under the impression that AUO was still developing FED.

Well, AUO bought FED. Either they're going to do something with it, or they're going to hang it up onto the tree next to the little reindeer. rolleyes.gif
post #141 of 149 Old 12-23-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Well, AUO bought FED. Either they're going to do something with it, or they're going to hang it up onto the tree next to the little reindeer. rolleyes.gif

They will never do anything with it whatsoever.

post #142 of 149 Old 12-29-2012, 12:03 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B View Post

Panasonic eyes ending plasma display panel R&D
This is the end..
"But the company is moving to limit investment in plasma displays in the face of technological innovations in the field of liquid crystal displays, they said."

I knew this day would come. Once again I have correctly forecasted that Panasonic would exit the PDP market.
post #143 of 149 Old 12-29-2012, 12:04 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

SED is not dead, SED burns within me.biggrin.gif
post #144 of 149 Old 12-29-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

I knew this day would come. Once again I have correctly forecasted that Panasonic would exit the PDP market.

LOL, of all LOLs on that one. Your prognostication skills just may be the worst in the history of this forum. Unless you consider being off by about a decade to be something to crow about, then I cede you the crown. biggrin.gif

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #145 of 149 Old 12-31-2012, 08:39 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Well they haven't exited the market yet. Did you miss the part where the article said: "But Panasonic will continue plasma panel display production for the time being to incorporate them into televisions and industrial-use displays......"

So what if they end up ceasing research and development? They already know everything they need to know about Plasma tech so there's not much left to research or develop. All they have to do now is improve it a little here and there. And they'd sell more of em if they'd just advertise it and market it a little.

Aren't you the one who (incorrectly) forecasted that we'll have SED? How'd that work out? biggrin.gif

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #146 of 149 Old 01-02-2013, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Who will make plasmas last--Samsung or Panasonic?

2013, 2014, or 2015?
post #147 of 149 Old 01-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

Who will make plasmas last--Samsung or Panasonic?
2013, 2014, or 2015?

2014, Panasonic.

Samsung will jump ship the moment Panasonic does.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #148 of 149 Old 01-02-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

... explain, please.

post #149 of 149 Old 01-02-2013, 03:31 PM

Nothing to explain. They're just being competitive and using a paid-for facility to acquire maximum profits. smile.gif Their interest in Plasma doesn't surpass being competitive (due to the small percentage of Plasma sets they sale in comparison to LCD).
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Sharp , Displays , Panasonic , Sony , Lcd Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le733u 70 Class Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Lc70le733u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page