Way to force screensaver over fullscreen PC games after a period of inactivity (to prevent plasma IR/burn in) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-02-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all!

I have a tendency to fall asleep while playing certain games (Phantasy Star Online 2, in this case). The problem is, naturally, that I don't want to cause burn in on my Panasonic VIERA TC-P50U50.

Is there an app that can force the screensaver over the game, or perhaps force it to minimize after a certain period of controller inactivity, so the screensaver can kick in? I've heard these TVs have their own screensaver, but I have a feeling it won't work here because even if I'm not moving, there are always other things moving on the screen....so if the TV looks for a completely static screen, it would never find it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really want to use this TV as a second monitor because my regular monitor is small (19") and far away from the couch.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-02-2012, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I don’t know that a screensaver will run on top of a game. You could definitely try setting it to a minute, load up your game and leave it idle to check, or try setting the display to sleep after a minute in the power management options and see if that works.

Does your TV have a shutdown after X amount of inactivity option? My Sony can be set to shut down after 1, 2, or 4 hours of not receiving any input from the remote. (Changing volume etc.) It will put up a prompt for a few minutes and turn off if you don’t press anything on the remote. The annoying thing, is that I would prefer 3 hours. 2 can still show up during a particularly long film, and 4 is longer than I need.

Failing that, it probably has the old “sleep timer” option.

And if you don't have that option, you can probably create a batch file on your PC, and run it with a keyboard shortcut:
Code:
shutdown -a
shutdown -s -f -t 5400
This should abort any current shutdown process, and set a new timer to shut down your PC after 90 minutes. (run shutdown -? in a command prompt If you want more options)
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Displays , Panasonic Viera Tc P50u50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P50u50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page