Need help please, new TV for bright room viewing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-24-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hey everyone, I have a little dilemma that I'm hoping to get some opinions on. I currently own a Panasonic P42S2 that I purchased in 2010 and it has been a great set for us but we recently moved into a new house and the family room is much bigger, aprox 20ft long, so we need a larger TV. However, the family room also has 2 large west-facing windows so the sunset in the evening hits directly on the TV.

I love my plasma, and I've considered an LED TV but I do not want to sacrifice picture quality. We are planning on installing room darkening blinds and curtains for evening viewing but I still think we're going to get some light poking through. I've done some research and I think I've narrowed it down to a few options but I'd like to get some opinions and maybe even some other options to consider.

$1,599 - Panasonic P60ST50 (larger screen size)
$1,624 - Panasonic P55GT50 (smaller screen, with THX bright room mode)
$1,513 - LG 55LM7600 (smaller screen, but with passive 3D and LED)
$1,099 - Panasonic L55ET5 (smaller screen, but best budget option?)

Our usage;
30% Movies
30% TV shows
20% Sporting events
10% Gaming
10% 3D

I'd also like to stay around $1,600 or less as a budget. We are planning to start a home theater build in the next year, so money saved here will allow us to put more into the theater. Thanks in advance!

XBL: Drunkn Joker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-24-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggrich76 View Post

Hey everyone, I have a little dilemma that I'm hoping to get some opinions on. I currently own a Panasonic P42S2 that I purchased in 2010 and it has been a great set for us but we recently moved into a new house and the family room is much bigger, aprox 20ft long, so we need a larger TV. However, the family room also has 2 large west-facing windows so the sunset in the evening hits directly on the TV.
I love my plasma, and I've considered an LED TV but I do not want to sacrifice picture quality. We are planning on installing room darkening blinds and curtains for evening viewing but I still think we're going to get some light poking through. I've done some research and I think I've narrowed it down to a few options but I'd like to get some opinions and maybe even some other options to consider.
$1,599 - Panasonic P60ST50 (larger screen size)
$1,624 - Panasonic P55GT50 (smaller screen, with THX bright room mode)
$1,513 - LG 55LM7600 (smaller screen, but with passive 3D and LED)
$1,099 - Panasonic L55ET5 (smaller screen, but best budget option?)
Our usage;
30% Movies
30% TV shows
20% Sporting events
10% Gaming
10% 3D
I'd also like to stay around $1,600 or less as a budget. We are planning to start a home theater build in the next year, so money saved here will allow us to put more into the theater. Thanks in advance!

I'd stay with st50 or gt50, if you can control the room light really well also might want to look at ut50. No experience with LG or other panny but blacks inferior to any 2012 panny plasma.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #3 of 3 Old 09-24-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

I'd stay with st50 or gt50, if you can control the room light really well also might want to look at ut50. No experience with LG or other panny but blacks inferior to any 2012 panny plasma.

Thanks for the reply.

Does it make sense to go down 5 inches for the GT? I like the idea of having the THX viewing modes, and I have no plans of having the screen professionally calibrated so I'm not sure how the ST50 would compare? I keep reading "get as big a screen as you can afford", but what features do I need/want to give up in order to get the larger screen?

XBL: Drunkn Joker
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page