Want (Need) A New TV... Need Help.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-03-2012, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I'm tired of my 58" Samsung PN58C7000 I got last year.

I want BIGGER.. BETTER. But I can't sacrifice picture quality. I have been plasma loyal for my last 3 sets (I typically upgrade every 12-14mths, though this time I have waited 21months...) I've been waffling for the last 2-3 months. I get ready to pull the trigger on LED, then stop, research for weeks, go Plasma, etc etc.

Main uses:
-Connect external harddrives via USB loaded with 1080p movies (.mkv) This accounts for a huge portion of my TV watching.
-Cable (HD channels only; some sports on Sundays or Sportscenter, but mostly shows like South Park/Simpsons/Family Guy etc, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, Walking Dead, SNL, Cops......)
-Gaming but only in chunks, I like very few games so when a new game I want comes out I play it non stop til I beat it -usually a couple weeks- then don't game again for a few months. Titles like GTA, Saints Row, Assassins Creed, infamous, Lego Star Wars...
-Blu Rays for the select movies I own, like Star Wars, Batman, Tarantino stuff...
-Some Netflix when I don't feel like downloading a movie or whatever.

Don't really care about 3D..but it's cool to have for a few hundred bucks more.

Average about 4hrs of TV/day after 5pm (I work 6a-5p) (maybe more Sat nights and Sundays). Mostly view with my wife, and 5yr old when she isn't in her playroom or on her iPad.

Room brightness doesn't matter, we mostly keep the shades drawn in living room.....

Now you know entirely too much about my life lol. But I know a lot of factors can affect a wise choice..

Price... I'm kind of open, I want to stay under like $2500?
Quality is extremely important to me... I want the most accurate picture I can get in terms of colors, brightness, etc. I've always loved plasma because of the deep blacks and most realistic looking picture, but I've seen some very nice LED...I'm willing to sacrifice SLIGHTLY on picture for size.

So, where do I go? I won't go smaller than 64" and that's my biggest sticking point. If the Samsung PN64E8000 were say, 67"-68" I wouldn't be here.

I've looked excessively at the Sharp 70" LEDs. But there are SO MANY, 3D, 2D, Quattron 3D, Quattron 2D, blah blah blah.

Then I've always read about the Panasonic Plasmas and they are actually close to my price range this year, and the 65" size makes me a little happier than 64". Side by side, they are noticeable (to me...)

So, I know, probably too long... But this is what I've been going through the last few months and I just don't know anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hdtvs/
post #3 of 4 Old 10-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member