42' VIZIO vs 43' SAMSUNG (need help deciding) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-04-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wazzup -- I found this site on the internet and enjoyed all the good advice seen here. NOW, I need help. Am going to buy my first flat screen TV and I need help deciding which one is better. First my budget is not very large -- perhaps only $600 MAX with taxes included and my room is a decent size so a 40' - 46' will do nicely.

I'm looking to buy one of these two:

VIZIO 42" MODEL E420VA for $399.99 at Costco -- LINK IS : http://www.costco.com/VIZIO-42%22-Class-1080p-LCD-HDTV-E420VA.product.11747923.html

against

SAMSUNG 43' MODEL PN43E450A1FXZA for $399.99 also -- LINK IS : http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+43%26%2334%3B+Class+-+Plasma+-+720p+-+600Hz+-+HDTV/4837604.p?id=1218540192528&skuId=4837604

Now, the SAMSUNG is a Plasma (whatever that means) and the VIZIO is LCD (whatever that means). I know I'm new to this ... so that is why I'm asking for help. I'm coming off an old style tube TV and I have never bought a flat Plasma, LCD or LED TV. Any help will be greatly appreciated. My main use will be for NETFLIX and HULU -- since I'm getting this TV to get rid of cable and all those high bills they are charging these days.

Thank you so much and I hope to get some good advice... not just people talking out the side of their mouth. cool.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
How far do you sit (or PLAN to sit) from the TV? What is your normal viewing environment like? - Bright? Sunlight? Dark? Light Controlled (curtains, blinds...)?

If you sit beyond 8 feet, the Samsung should be ok: it is a "720p" model, as opposed to the 1080p screen on the Vizio, which might be a drawback if you sit close to the TV.

Everything else being equal, would prefer to purchase from CostCo: 90-day return policy, 2nd year warranty included in purchase price.
However, think BB has improved their return policy to 30-days, and recall seeing something about a "TV Best Fit" guarantee (or something like that) in their ads.

OTOH - and FWIW - CR rates the Samsung above the Vizio. (Their website - consumerreports.org - provides MUCH greater detail on the reasons behind each set's rating then the magazine does, although still not what you would expect to find from CNet, or other dedication home theater / electronics sites/magazines.)

You might have trouble finding reviews of these panels from other sources, as most reviewers don't bother to do very many "entry level" panels - but it would certainly be a good idea to try a web Search...

Quote:
perhaps only $600 MAX with taxes included

Then again: if you can run up to $600, you might see what a 50" set would go for: perhaps a Panasonic U50 or even a UT50, or the Samsung E550, or even the E490 (although the 490 also slips to 720p).
Go back to "What is your viewing distance?"
post #3 of 7 Old 10-04-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I sit about 8 feet or so from the TV and the enviroment is Dark -- got my windows tinted so very very dark. Thought that the 42' or 43' would be a good size. Just don't know what is the better buy... whether the VIZIO or the SAMSUNG... seeing that they are both the same price... even though the SAMSUNG is a plasma and the VIZION is a LCD -- which i have no idea between the differences.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-E View Post

I sit about 8 feet or so from the TV and the enviroment is Dark -- got my windows tinted so very very dark. Thought that the 42' or 43' would be a good size. Just don't know what is the better buy... whether the VIZIO or the SAMSUNG... seeing that they are both the same price... even though the SAMSUNG is a plasma and the VIZION is a LCD -- which i have no idea between the differences.

You obviously have access to internet - and found AVS forum - smile.gif - so would suggest a Search for LCD vs Plasma HDTV. You should find a number of references.

Again, Consumer Reports is a good starting point - either magazine or web site, as well as CNet.

FWIW, would not recommend a 50" 720p panel at an 8ft viewing distance - they do not currently offer enough cost savings over a 50" 1080p set to make up for the loss of resolution.

However - at 8feet - MOST users won't be able to tell a RESOLUTION difference between 720 and 1080 on a 42" screen.

Normally would suggest a 1080p 50" panel for 8ft (and many others would advise even larger) - but since you specifically mention Hulu and Netflix as sources, and since (IMHO!) these are not really "HD" sources, a 42" class panel will provide the Benefit of helping to HIDE the source flaws in the material you will be viewing...

If you want a PERSONAL OPINION, given a choice between A) the Vizio & B) the Samsung, would opt for "C": Something Else.... eek.gif
If FORCED to choose between those two, would give the Samsung the nod, given your distance & environment. (Prefer the "look" of plasma....)
post #5 of 7 Old 10-04-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I have to agree Samsung well above Vizio. looks like yo have the perfect environment for a plasma, not that a bright room is a deterrent anymore, Personally I['m not a big fan of anything Vizio, they do make a few very high end displays that are worth considering, but at 8 or 10 times your budget.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
post #7 of 7 Old 10-05-2012, 01:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
42'' Panasonic is more like it, but at 8ft. you definitely want the 50'' (will have to be 720p at that budget)

Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page