Sharp 'Moth Eye' Glare free glass - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 10-07-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Looks like Sharp has it's own version of glare free glass coming. I thought they were going to have to license Nippon's glare free glass film, but it looks like they have found a way to make their own.
"Sharp says the film has been produced in 60-, 70- and 80-inch sizes already" Hope it can be ready for next year's product line.
Man, Sharp is really killing it in the R&D department lately with IGZO, ICC-4K, Moth Eye, etc. I just wish they can start making some money.

Here is the best example I can find. No reflection on the left side with "Moth Eye"

09CEATEC12SharpMothEyeAntiGlare-large.JPG

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/07/sharp-moth-eye-lcd-panel-demo-shows-off-future-hdtvs-with-less/

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/10/sharp-motheye-technology/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 10-07-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Give me that on a 90" 4K, please smile.gif

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #3 of 38 Old 10-07-2012, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IGZO + ICC 4K + Moth Eye + Big panel TV
Sharp really need to start selling these ASAP to cover R&D cost.

Only my Q10.
post #4 of 38 Old 10-08-2012, 09:49 AM

Liked: 22
I like that. Sharp keeps the innovation coming in spite of their finnacial troubles.
post #5 of 38 Old 10-08-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
What a poor marketing ploy calling it moth eye technology. I don;t know anyone that likes moths. eek.gif
post #6 of 38 Old 10-08-2012, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3 View Post

What a poor marketing ploy calling it moth eye technology. I don;t know anyone that likes moths. eek.gif

Agreed. That is a terrible name for the marketing department. They need something simply like ClearView™ or InvisaGlass™
I better be getting a royalty check from Sharp next year.
post #7 of 38 Old 10-09-2012, 04:16 AM

Liked: 15
Thanks for posting. It would seem that this is a fantastic breakthrough in anti-reflective glass technology.
post #8 of 38 Old 10-09-2012, 10:27 AM

Liked: 12
Maybe it is just me but it does a nice job of stopping reflections but hurts everything else...eek.gif
greenland likes this.
post #9 of 38 Old 10-09-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pds3 View Post

Thanks for posting. It would seem that this is a fantastic breakthrough in anti-reflective glass technology.

It isn't. Others have shown off better versions of this, at least based on those pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebernazz View Post

Maybe it is just me but it does a nice job of stopping reflections but hurts everything else...eek.gif

It isn't just you. The contrast and clarity have gone to hell. Obviously, this is a demo and a photographic capture, so we ought to take it with a grain of salt (hence my comment directly above), but let's hope a production version is much better.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #10 of 38 Old 10-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
lg needs these for their plasmas lol
post #11 of 38 Old 10-09-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

It isn't. Others have shown off better versions of this, at least based on those pictures.

Did you click on the OP's link?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/07/sharp-moth-eye-lcd-panel-demo-shows-off-future-hdtvs-with-less/
post #12 of 38 Old 10-10-2012, 12:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hmm, it does look better there than the re-post here for whatever that's worth.

Regardless, it's a demo. I want product that has a glare-free front and equal/better contrast to existing displays. I'm sure we'd all agree.

post #13 of 38 Old 10-10-2012, 04:34 AM

Quote:

Hmm, it does look better there than the re-post here for whatever that's worth.
Regardless, it's a demo. I want product that has a glare-free front and equal/better contrast to existing displays. I'm sure we'd all agree.

Positively amazing. A product that greatly improves the mirror reflection glass now on so many tvs and you say ho-hum.
post #14 of 38 Old 10-10-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Yep, clearly not as much reflection, yet the right side example (non Moth glass) has deeper blacks and that is even on the Engadget site example. Demo it is, but if it takes away from the contrast etc, it will be a bummer. Kudos must go to those who have developed this glass, lets hope it will work for display use without losing contrast etc.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #15 of 38 Old 10-10-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

Yep, clearly not as much reflection, yet the right side example (non Moth glass) has deeper blacks and that is even on the Engadget site example. Demo it is, but if it takes away from the contrast etc, it will be a bummer. Kudos must go to those who have developed this glass, lets hope it will work for display use without losing contrast etc.

Deeper blacks are just about worthless when you've got reflections all over your tv screen. In fact, those "deeper blacks" probably don't even make any difference in a room that has any significant lighting or windows.
post #16 of 38 Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That pic was the best example of the anti-glare part that I could find at the time of posting. There are a lot of better pics out there now. It not only reduce glare but also increases contrast.
Apparently, Phillips already has the 9000 series in Europe using a version of Moth Eye and it is getting rave reviews for its glare free properties. One negative mentioned was that it is harder to calibrate because of the moth eye screen.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs/1294369/philips-60pfl9707-tv-review-hands-on
rogo likes this.
post #17 of 38 Old 10-10-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Deeper blacks are just about worthless when you've got reflections all over your tv screen. In fact, those "deeper blacks" probably don't even make any difference in a room that has any significant lighting or windows.

So according to your logic..

Losing contrast 100% of the time < Reflections 0 - 50% of the time..

Brilliant! rolleyes.gif
post #18 of 38 Old 10-10-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:

So according to your logic..
Losing contrast 100% of the time < Reflections 0 - 50% of the time..
Brilliant! rolleyes.gif

To me a tv is worthless unless I can watch it in my living room without reflections. All the contrast in the world is useless if all you see is a reflection of your living room window or lamps on the screen.
post #19 of 38 Old 10-10-2012, 10:58 PM

I wonder how I ever watched tv in the 60s, 70s 80s& 90s. Obviously those tvs were completely worthless. SO either you are very very young or exaggerating just a little bit. Unless you enjoyed watching worthless things. Sorry to break the news to you but reflections can have many solutions - Poor PQ is UNFIXABLE!!!! Get it???
post #20 of 38 Old 10-11-2012, 05:27 AM

Quote:

I wonder how I ever watched tv in the 60s, 70s 80s& 90s. Obviously those tvs were completely worthless. SO either you are very very young or exaggerating just a little bit. Unless you enjoyed watching worthless things. Sorry to break the news to you but reflections can have many solutions - Poor PQ is UNFIXABLE!!!! Get it???

Can't say I ever noticed reflection problems when I was viewing 21 inch screens back in the 60's. I have noticed that the larger the screens, the more annoying the reflections. I now have a Sharp 70 Inch set and have no problems with reflections (and consider the picture to be excellent as well). A modern tv doesn't have to have poor PQ to have an excellent anti-reflective screen. I believe that moth glass is going to be pretty much of a standard once it gets into production.

My 70 inch tv.JPG 163k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My 70 inch tv.JPG (163.1 KB, 21 views)
post #21 of 38 Old 10-11-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Can't say I ever noticed reflection problems when I was viewing 21 inch screens back in the 60's. I have noticed that the larger the screens, the more annoying the reflections. I now have a Sharp 70 Inch set and have no problems with reflections (and consider the picture to be excellent as well). A modern tv doesn't have to have poor PQ to have an excellent anti-reflective screen. I believe that moth glass is going to be pretty much of a standard once it gets into production.

No one said "poor PQ" goes hand in hand with anti-reflective screens. Stop changing your tune. What was said is based upon the picture (which we all know may not reflect the reality of "Moth Glass") the PQ was so adversely affected it would not be desirable by me (and I believe most people).

I installed 3 70 inch and 2 80 inch Sharps 2 months ago and they handle light sources & reflections pretty well but don't put them on a pedestal (These were Company Meeting/Board Rooms) and in order to get a decent PQ we had to control the light sources (Which also greatly helps reflectiveness wink.gif )
post #22 of 38 Old 10-11-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:

No one said "poor PQ" goes hand in hand with anti-reflective screens. Stop changing your tune. What was said is based upon the picture (which we all know may not reflect the reality of "Moth Glass") the PQ was so adversely affected it would not be desirable by me (and I believe most people).
I installed 3 70 inch and 2 80 inch Sharps 2 months ago and they handle light sources & reflections pretty well but don't put them on a pedestal (These were Company Meeting/Board Rooms) and in order to get a decent PQ we had to control the light sources (Which also greatly helps reflectiveness wink.gif )

Actually, I'm not changing my tune, I think the Sharp "Mothglass" looks very impressive.

I also think that current Sharp tvs do an excellent job with their anti-reflective semi-gloss screens.

If an 80" Sharp becomes available with Mothglass, I believe I would be buying one as soon as possible.

Nobody is twisting anyone's arm here, if you don't like Sharp tvs, or their mothglass, simply don't buy their products.
post #23 of 38 Old 10-12-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

To me a tv is worthless unless I can watch it in my living room without reflections. All the contrast in the world is useless if all you see is a reflection of your living room window or lamps on the screen.

Thus rendering 100% of current TVs 100% worthless to you, since all of them are reflective -- most highly so.

post #24 of 38 Old 10-12-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:

Thus rendering 100% of current TVs 100% worthless to you, since all of them are reflective -- most highly so.

Sorry to disappoint you Rogo but my Sharp 70LE732 has very low screen reflectivity. I can watch it on a bright day with my living room drapes open. See attached:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg My 70 inch tv.JPG (163.1 KB, 19 views)
post #25 of 38 Old 10-12-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sorry to disappoint you Rogo but my Sharp 70LE732 has very low screen reflectivity. I can watch it on a bright day with my living room drapes open. See attached:

I'm not disappointed at all. First of all, I've seen the Sharp literally scores of times. It reflects every single light source that is incident to it. Is it as bad as a Samsung? Perhaps not. But it's reflective.

Second of all, I can watch my Panasonic on a bright day with my drapes open. But it's also reflective. Is it more reflective than your Sharp. Perhaps so? But it's more than watchable.

post #26 of 38 Old 10-12-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:

I'm not disappointed at all. First of all, I've seen the Sharp literally scores of times. It reflects every single light source that is incident to it. Is it as bad as a Samsung? Perhaps not. But it's reflective.
Second of all, I can watch my Panasonic on a bright day with my drapes open. But it's also reflective. Is it more reflective than your Sharp. Perhaps so? But it's more than watchable.

Strange, I watch my Sharp every day and don't find it in the least bit reflective as this picture can well verify.

post #27 of 38 Old 10-12-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 191
a ''Moth Eye'' Sharp at CEATEC

post #28 of 38 Old 10-12-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Strange, I watch my Sharp every day and don't find it in the least bit reflective as this picture can well verify.

Move your TV about 2 feet away from the wall and then tell me if you feel the same way.
post #29 of 38 Old 10-12-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

Move your TV about 2 feet away from the wall and then tell me if you feel the same way.

My tv is already two feet away from the wall. You think I should put it in the middle of my living room? The point is is that there are NO REFLECTIONS on the screen.
post #30 of 38 Old 10-13-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:

My tv is already two feet away from the wall. You think I should put it in the middle of my living room? The point is is that there are NO REFLECTIONS on the screen.

Once again you are missing the point. Any TV in that setting would look fine. The point was if you moved the TV so that the window light was on the screen would it be watchable?

Or said another way I could put a pdp in that space and have many angles, times of day (even the time of day of your photo) where there would be little to no reflections.

And your PQ is fine (using your picture which you put up as evidence) but is certainly not top of the line to many (And yes I own a sharp and 4 other lcds along with 3 pdps)
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page