Are Samsung and Sony switching over to Passive 3D, and how does RDZ work? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-06-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 638

I can't find where I first read this, but >somewhere< there was speculation that Samsung and Sony were both considering moving into the Passive arena with full force.

Sony's 84" thing is passive http://blog.sony.com/tag/passive-3d

And Samsung came up with a RealD hybrid at CES 2011, that I still don't quite understand. Active shutters in the TV? It would still require that the TV somehow broadcast alternating polarization, right? How does it do that without filters on the screen, and if so, where does the 1080 come from (it's not a 2160 high screen, is it?) Or is it double horizontal resolution?

Where are those two giants going with this?

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-06-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Full 1080p Passive 3-D is one of the selling points of 4K. LG and a few others currently have some passive 540p 3-D sets, but the 4K sets will be Full HD 3-D. In fact it is actually greater then Full HD in the traditional sense, in that you get 2 million extra pixels because it would be (3840x1080) vs. (1920x1080) active or current (1920x540) passive. You also have Toshiba and others trying the glasses free 3-D that track the viewers with facial recognition cameras and adjusts accordingly, with the filters on the screen. The results have been less than stellar.
Another possible option is the "Near 3-D" glasses free effect 4K sets created by reality algorithms in sets such as Sharp's ICC-4K. It reportedly recreates the viewing material on the fly, sharpening the focal length of usually blurry background data, giveing the picture added depth and rendering how it would look to the naked eye if you where actually there. How well it works remains to be seen.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-07-2012, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

Full 1080p Passive 3-D is one of the selling points of 4K. LG and a few others currently have some passive 540p 3-D sets, but the 4K sets will be Full HD 3-D. In fact it is actually greater then Full HD in the traditional sense, in that you get 2 million extra pixels because it would be (3840x1080) vs. (1920x1080) active or current (1920x540) passive. You also have Toshiba and others trying the glasses free 3-D that track the viewers with facial recognition cameras and adjusts accordingly, with the filters on the screen. The results have been less than stellar.
Another possible option is the "Near 3-D" glasses free effect 4K sets created by reality algorithms in sets such as Sharp's ICC-4K. It reportedly recreates the viewing material on the fly, sharpening the focal length of usually blurry background data, giveing the picture added depth and rendering how it would look to the naked eye if you where actually there. How well it works remains to be seen.

Yeah, I understand about halving the vertical resolution, hence part of my confusion about the Samsung/RDZ. RDZ is purportedly using polarization on the glasses, but "shuttering" on the screen, while achieving a full 1080p (without being a 2160 line set). Here's what I should have originally posted.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1294222203

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20027136-264.html

The *only* way I can currently see this working is two distinct backlight arrays (probably interwoven), each with their own polarization. That would allow switching L/R light source every other frame----the "left eye" backlight is on (with "left eye" LCD image in front), and then the "right eye" backlight with the "right eye" LCD image in front. This is full HD with no res halving using passive glasses. You are, of course, still strobing each eye alternately.

Is this right? Any other way this could work?

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page