Looking for recommendations for 40-46" dumb LED TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-16-2012, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi folks,

I need a bit of advice here and I hope you don't mind sharing some of your knowledge on the subject.

I'm looking to replace my old 32" 720p LCD TV and I would like to get a 40-46" Full HD LED TV, but I'm totally confused by the current offerings.

I definitely do not want 3D, I have one good eye and will never be able to get any benefit from this. Also due to the room size there is no point in getting a bigger TV.
Smart TV is another feature I don't need, I have a fully featured HTPC and none of these Smart TVs come anywhere close.
TV sound I don't care about, it will be connected to a Yamaha sound projector anyway.

About the only thing I could use is a DVB-S2 tuner built into the box, but I already have a tuner on my media center, the only drawback is that it doesn't have a CI slot, so I can't get the encrypted HD channels.
It's no biggie and I can always get a decent standalone tuner if I need to.

From looking around the shops the choice seems to be between a 500 euro toshiba (which actually looks pretty decent) or a 1000 euro sony/panasonic/whatever full of features I don't need, and slightly better pic quality.

So, does anyone have an old fashioned dumb LED TV to recommend that has a decent picture quality, or do you really have to spend twice the money to get the good PQ ?

I don't mind spending the money, but I prefer to spend it on the things I want, rather than the things I don't smile.gif

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-16-2012, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtach View Post

Hi folks,
I need a bit of advice here and I hope you don't mind sharing some of your knowledge on the subject.
I'm looking to replace my old 32" 720p LCD TV and I would like to get a 40-46" Full HD LED TV, but I'm totally confused by the current offerings.
I definitely do not want 3D, I have one good eye and will never be able to get any benefit from this. Also due to the room size there is no point in getting a bigger TV.
Smart TV is another feature I don't need, I have a fully featured HTPC and none of these Smart TVs come anywhere close.
TV sound I don't care about, it will be connected to a Yamaha sound projector anyway.
About the only thing I could use is a DVB-S2 tuner built into the box, but I already have a tuner on my media center, the only drawback is that it doesn't have a CI slot, so I can't get the encrypted HD channels.
It's no biggie and I can always get a decent standalone tuner if I need to.
From looking around the shops the choice seems to be between a 500 euro toshiba (which actually looks pretty decent) or a 1000 euro sony/panasonic/whatever full of features I don't need, and slightly better pic quality.
So, does anyone have an old fashioned dumb LED TV to recommend that has a decent picture quality, or do you really have to spend twice the money to get the good PQ ?
I don't mind spending the money, but I prefer to spend it on the things I want, rather than the things I don't smile.gif
Thanks!

I've been a fan of the Samsung EH6000 series. It's a direct backlit LED/LCD. I tend to prefer the backlist over the edge lits. The EH6000 is a no frills, dumb TV. Only thing I don't like much about it is the fact that it only has 2 HDMI inputs, but this can be easily negated if you have any AVR. The 2 HDMI input issue doesn't sound like a problem for you though. My other recommendation is going to be the Toshiba L5200 LED/LCD. It's an edge lit, but I've been impressed by it, especially for the price. You can find both of these models in 46-50" from 700-900$

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #3 of 4 Old 12-17-2012, 08:32 PM

Liked: 10
In addition to the EH6000 from Samsung, add the smart EH500x (same panel as the EH6000 series) and Sony's KDL-4XBX4XX (like the Samsung EH6000s, basic backlit-LED; I have the KDL-40BX450, which I am flat-out blown-away by, and it replaced a Philips plasma). The Sony has one fewer HDMI input than the Philips (three for the Philips vs. the Sony's two) - however, since I never used more than one - even with the Philips - it's not exactly a minus. (The one HDMI device that will always be connected will be a Tivo Premiere - I can "settle" for using the side HDMI input for my desktop. when I bring it into my bedroom.) This basic Bravia is also available in 46" (KDL-46BX450).
post #4 of 4 Old 12-20-2012, 05:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Yes indeed, it is "dumb" to call a LCD TV a "LED TV" just because the CEA does, to sell something new, when it is nothing but a marketing ploy. wink.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page