What kind of TV to look for when watching a certain type of content? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-01-2013, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm planning on getting a TV soon, but my main use for it would be watching anime (Japanese animation). Just wondering if I should pay more attention to specific kind of TVs for watching this type of content? For example, plasma vs. LCD, 60Hz vs. 120Hz, and if LCD, full array backlit vs. edgelit? For watching anime should I look for specific TVs with certain functions or does it not really make a difference compared to live action? Not sure where I should post this thread, if it's in the wrong forum feel free to move it.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-03-2013, 06:00 AM

Is the original source for Anime usually 24fps or 30fps? If it's like film, you'd probably want to make sure you pick up a set that has a film mode so that you don't get a lot of jaggies introduced from poor deinterlacing.

Other than that, any TV should be fine, but LCDs tend to have brighter images and can have more exaggerated color, which could be good for Anime.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-03-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NulloModo View Post

Is the original source for Anime usually 24fps or 30fps? If it's like film, you'd probably want to make sure you pick up a set that has a film mode so that you don't get a lot of jaggies introduced from poor deinterlacing.
Thanks for the advice. I actually don't know whether it's 24 fps or 30 fps. I did a search right now, and apparently it could be either. It seems they switch back and forth for whatever reason... I forgot to mention that I will most likely be watching through one of the channels found in Roku. However I have heard others saying that this channel only supports 480p even though they have 1080p when streaming through the website normally. I might end up trying to hook up a HDMI cable and see if I get better quality that way. Does connecting through HDMI for playback favour any type of TV? For example, would a LED LCD TV be any better or worse than a plasma? Would I need 120hz for this? Or once again do neither of these really matter?
Quote:
Other than that, any TV should be fine, but LCDs tend to have brighter images and can have more exaggerated color, which could be good for Anime.
Ah okay, I will keep that in mind. I was almost able to cut plasma out of the picture because I'm looking for around 40 inches and there are only around 2 that size. One didn't have a great review while one had a decent review, the Samsung 450, however it only supports up to 720p so I didn't consider it. I am now waiting for this year's models, but I am assuming they won't produce much 40" models with 1080p, but I'll have to wait and see I guess. tongue.gif
post #4 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 10:41 PM

Liked: 15
If you are talking about Crunchyroll online streaming by chance I'd tell you to consider a a 120hz or 240hz model that is know to hadle 2:2 and 3:2 cadence pull-down well. the same is mostly true for other streaming sites too but I know Crunchyroll has some 1080p.

Consider that Anime on DVD or blu-ray is normally given a proper tele-cine'd encode to display the images in the proper cadence and the original sometimes do use 12fps doubled or 24fps content , it is mostly still encoded as 29.97 on DVD but should be 24fps on blu-ray so the better models that handle cadence changes or have know good processing will handle the fast motion scenes well and should look smooth like a animation should but it shouldn't have to look like a live action /soap opera.

Plasma sets typically handle native rate stuff pretty good if the source device passes the cadence well , the issues being that on a lot of anime that was encoded before blu-ray hit the market or the original broadcast was in 720p or 1080p . Japan didn't make the switch until just march of 2012 so a lot of the licensed stuff that is streamed is older content and it wasn't deinterlaced properly sometimes or not encoded as 24fps material.

What ends up happening is the motion of the scenes will either have artifacts or it will not be smooth because the cadence wasn't encoded properly in the material the streaming site uses.

If the stream on the Roku is just sending 720p@60 or 1080p@60 and not a native rate of the original a set with good processing can still help if it "sees" the cadence and processes it as 12fps or 24fps inside of a 60hz signal, it can help the picture look much better and smooth like a nice animation instead of just a online stream.

This is a problem with a lot of anime because of the way the animation is made some set just will not handle mixed cadence content well so scrolling text like the intros or outros will play at the wrong speed or if you are watching subs instead of dubs, the text will look to be playing at a different rate of fps and too smooth.

for some content it won't matter much but if the TV handles all the weird cadences well and it has good interpolation routines it can really help the images look better.

I personally used my HTPC to handle the processing for anime I watched and once you have the decoding scaling the images and putting out the processed frames , even most 480p encodes look a lot better versus just sending it straight to the 60hz TV I had but if the TV had 120hz or 240hz processing it probably could have been a lot easier and had better results.

I'd like to think that most plasmas will do better without needing additional processing and just be fed a good blu-ray source but having the option to process the anime with either motion interpolation or just proper pull-down that a 12hz or 240hz might handle is better than trying to use the 48hz or 96hz mode that mostly doesn't get reviewed well on a lot of plasmas.

I'm kinda in the same boat, I used to use a CRT monitor for streaming anime and some gaming but it recently died and the motion on a regular 60hz LCD just doesn't seem to look as nice. Almost everything I watch is anime or film based streaming and at first I really wanted a plasma but know it looks like it will come down to which set can handle the processing better.

All of the downsides of a 120hz or a 240hz LCDa tend to not really affect a animation in the same way as it makes TV shows look unnaturally smooth because on real film, motion has a blur at low rates like 24fps (60fps too if the shutter isn't setup for fast movement) but drawn animation really is mostly just a lot a single frames with a slight change that a artist drew to look like real motion (CGI shots are slightly different) so if the frames are interpolated it just smooths out the frames as if the animatior drew more frames themselves instead of the 12 or 24 per second.

It all kinda depends, a lot of reviewers us a blu-ray test disc or a dvd to check if a model is handling the proper pulldown methods and even still many sets down seem to handle the "strange ones" that anime tends to have a lot more than regular filmed live action and it doesn't help if the content was handled wrong when it got encoded for streaming but I'd rather have a set that gets more options to help than not if I cannot start with a good source like a DVD or blu-ray source have.

here is a link mentioning some of the unique issues anime can toss versus regular content: http://www.avsforum.com/t/206510/3-2-pulldown-what-is-it-and-do-i-need-it

is is old but the info is still proper to an extent. I'm hoping I can find a good model or line of sets that are know to process anime well instead of having to insert a OPPO or a AVR into the processing chain. I know it is typically "garbage in garbage out" but if I invest in a new TV I'd really like the option to rey and improve the picture quality versus the set only bringing out all the flaws or making them worse because it doesn't process them well enough. Ideally I'd just get all my anime on blu-ray but with the amount I watch and some old stuff never hitting the US for a reasonable price, investing in a better set is probably more worth it.

I'm actually going to demo a few sets tomorrow in person so if I happen to see one that stands out I'll chime in here again.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you undermined for the very useful information! I will probably start looking into more 120hz+ sets then. Time for a lot more reading and research again. The few models I was looking at before were only 60hz. Not that I'm on a super tight budget, just that I wasn't interested in 3D or any smart features so most of the TVs without them happened to be 60hz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by undermined View Post

I'm actually going to demo a few sets tomorrow in person so if I happen to see one that stands out I'll chime in here again.
Cool, that sounds good. smile.gif
post #6 of 7 Old 01-05-2013, 09:19 PM

Liked: 15
Yep so I was at a store called ABT that had just about every model on the market in store. They even had both the Sony and LG 4K displays setup next to each other smile.gif

They had a feed of a collage football game running from ESPN2 on all the sets so it was the exact same content and looking at the models I think the Sony 240hz models looked the best along with the Samsungs in the 40" sizes you mentioned.

Unfortunately I didn't see them all setup side by side, they were configured with all the Sony models on one wall and all the Samsungs on the opposite sides with the toshiba and LG models in the middle.

But I was specifically looking at the motion and if there was better detail and the sony ones and the samsungs do really seem to use their 240hz modes better.

I was even kinda dead set on getting a Panasonic plasma until I say it up close any I'm thinking it was really unforgiving and very much only showing exactly what it was being fed.

On this feed they had there was a lot of mosquito noise and compression artifacts visible on every single set and I went with my friend who is a graphic artist that does visual work on calibrated monitors all day to help compare the saturation and colors between models and we both a very picky about color rendition.

The Sony models in our opinion looked a little more natural in terms of saturation over the Samsungs but the Samsung's were sure to grab your eye because they were extra bright and colorful.

I doubt they were very accurate though but I could see them really having a lot of pop with the colors on a animation or if you had a lot of ambient light.

Overall the sharps that we saw looked ok overall and the panasonic LCD models did also look pretty good but if the panasonic models were in a darkened room their black levels were too high (probably due to having a IPS based panel).

Sorry I don't have a specific model to list other than the 46" Sony BRAVIA KDL46HX750 and the 950XBR the samsungs I saw were from every single series and they all looked pretty identical, even their plasma models with their very highest end models in the 8000 series only standing out more because they were on the end of an isle.

Overall I liked they Sony's image more, though admittedly Iv'e always like Sony screens and monitors and looking at all of them togeather near the other models, they seemed to be less ramped up to 11 like the overall impression of the colors on the samsung's left with me.

I hear that the samsungs do have a decent CMS system to reign in the colors closer to the standard so it is hard to say if they wouldn't beat a Sony side by side once calibrated.

And then after I saw the 2 84" 4K sets , everything else looked like crap :P lol

It isn't even fair, and with CES starting next week I'm gonna just research the screens or hope for a killer sale before the superbowl to help narrow it down
post #7 of 7 Old 01-05-2013, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Yea, I'll also probably end up waiting to see the new 2013 models. I was considering 46" models before as the maximum, but now I think it's even a bit too big, so I'm thinking 40-42, but there is a lot less choice at that size with 120hz. I think it would mainly be between samsung eh6000 and sony ex645. A couple other ones I considered before were samsung eh5000 and sony ex440 which were cheaper, but only 60hz sadly.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page