Will higher end panels eventually be using "Museum Glass" ? (Reflection Free). - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-21-2013, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 639

....Or do some already? It's frightfully expensive, but if you haven't seen it before over artwork, it's amazing. You see the item completely without reflection.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-21-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Don't think "museum glass" is the same as Nippon's glare free glass that both Phillips and Sharp are starting to use. Nippon and Sharp have worked together to make their "MothEye" anti glare glass for large format displays. Should become the standard soon, even though other manufactures have their own anti-glare coatings, but they usually do not work as good.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-21-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

Don't think "museum glass" is the same as Nippon's glare free glass that both Phillips and Sharp are starting to use. Nippon and Sharp have worked together to make their "MothEye" anti glare glass for large format displays. Should become the standard soon, even though other manufactures have their own anti-glare coatings, but they usually do not work as good.
Is Sharp's "MothEye" the same as Nippon Electric's Invisible Glass? I thought it was different tech. (somewhat disappointing if that's the case)
post #4 of 6 Old 01-21-2013, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The isn't anything special with any "reflection free " glass. It is just an anti-reflective (AR) coating added to the glass.

Very similiar to what is used on prescription eyeglass lenses, such as Crizal Avance, Crizal Sapphire, Kodak Clean and CleAR, or Zeiss AR.

Each AR coating has its own "formula" with various attributes - light transmission, scratch resistance, etc.

In eyeglasses, other attributes are important as well - cleanability, adherence to lens material, etc.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-21-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
What's special is how low the reflectivity of the glass is - Nippon Electric's Invisible Glass reduces luminance reflectance to just 0.08% for example, using 30 layers of anti-reflective coatings, compared to typical AR coatings which use 5-8 layers on one side of the glass.

I could definitely do with less reflections/glare on my Crizal Forte coated lenses. Cleanability is not really an issue for me as I just drop them in an ultrasonic bath rather than use cleaning cloths.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-22-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

Is Sharp's "MothEye" the same as Nippon Electric's Invisible Glass? I thought it was different tech. (somewhat disappointing if that's the case)

I think you maybe be right. I knew Nippon Electric had a their version "invisible glass" and read Sharp partnered with Nippon to make the film for their TVs, but apparently they partnered with Dai Nippon Printing to make the Moth-Eye film, not Nippon Electric. Unless it is like a subsidiary company or something.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page