post #61 of 68 Old 01-23-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

^ Personally, there's not an ego involved in anyway whatsoever. It's a television. I'm a man of modest means ...

I have long wished for more transparency around here and frankly this is a good example. You should know ego is involved in every coversation. Just saying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 01-23-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Kuro was a great Plasma display, considering that LCD was not a great option back then. LCD has been improved greatly since then, and so have Panasonic Plasmas. If someone does not want to baby a plasma set by avoiding leaving it on freeze frame, or making sure not to display many consecutives hours of widescreen movies that do not fill the screen,etc; then LCD is probably a better option for them now. I have both Plasma and LED/LCD sets and still much prefer the Plasma for dedicated home theater viewing. The LED/LCD is great for other viewing, including using it as computer monitor; something I would never do with a Plasma set. The IR and burn in thing has been greatly exaggerated over the past several years. It bothers some people but not the vast majority of the millions of Plasma owners very much at all, since they have never raised a massive outcry about it.

The great thing is that each person gets to make their own choice. No one is forcing anyone to buy one or the other type of display.

I still feel that Burn In is much like Bigfoot; far more talked about that ever seen in person. Happy shopping trails to all.smile.gif
post #63 of 68 Old 01-23-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

^ Honestly, I immediately regretted even mentioning that I owned a Kuro due to the fantastic bias that seems to exist towards it and its owners for whatever reasons one cares to cite.

I think you believe that, but as I've noted in scores of Kuro threads that always manage to attempt to include similar disclaimers, I don't buy it. Maybe it's the subconscious working overtime, but it always seems to happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

Or maybe people are sick of it being put up on a pedestal for being the best display ever

I think it's been the part where I -- at least -- have been sick of having it dredged up year after year since it left the market as some kind of icon of perfection. I didn't want one then; I don't want one now, It wouldn't have satisfied me then and still wouldn't. And why are we talking about something you can't buy?

Imagine if this thread had instead been simply about the relatively small amounts of progress flat panels have made over the past several years instead of a "Kuro thread". It could easily have been that and could have been a discussion of the improvements in black levels, intrascrene contrast, pixel fill ratio, color reproduction, off-axis viewing, ambient-light rejection, brightness, dithering, "dirty screen effects", reflectivity, power consumption, display size, et al. Because when I look at that list, I'm not especially impressed with how far we've come. But at the same time, I'm not especially impressed with how well the Kuro holds up either.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #64 of 68 Old 01-23-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Some Kuro owners behave like some Porsche owners. You know that old line about the difference between Porcupines and Porsches. The Porches have the Pricks on the inside.
post #65 of 68 Old 01-23-2013, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
^^ lol the irony and truth in that...
post #66 of 68 Old 01-23-2013, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I think you believe that, but as I've noted in scores of Kuro threads that always manage to attempt to include similar disclaimers, I don't buy it. Maybe it's the subconscious working overtime, but it always seems to happen.
I think it's been the part where I -- at least -- have been sick of having it dredged up year after year since it left the market as some kind of icon of perfection. I didn't want one then; I don't want one now, It wouldn't have satisfied me then and still wouldn't. And why are we talking about something you can't buy?

Imagine if this thread had instead been simply about the relatively small amounts of progress flat panels have made over the past several years instead of a "Kuro thread". It could easily have been that and could have been a discussion of the improvements in black levels, intrascrene contrast, pixel fill ratio, color reproduction, off-axis viewing, ambient-light rejection, brightness, dithering, "dirty screen effects", reflectivity, power consumption, display size, et al. Because when I look at that list, I'm not especially impressed with how far we've come. But at the same time, I'm not especially impressed with how well the Kuro holds up either.

I can assure you that it's far beyond the subconscious working overtime.

It (moving onto the thread...AGAIN) IS about what you just listed and much more...and I have said as much...MULTIPLE times.

But it's easier to play the "Kuro card" I suppose. You're not impressed with how far we've come, but also not especially impressed with how the kuros held up? You recognize the fantastic contradiction there, right?

Again, it would have apparently been better to include an XBR4, THPZ800 (both of which I've also owned) in lieu of the Kuro as my case would remain the same and the single-minded would have had to find another unicorn to chase.

Go figure. Again.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #67 of 68 Old 01-23-2013, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Some Kuro owners behave like some Porsche owners. You know that old line about the difference between Porcupines and Porsches. The Porches have the Pricks on the inside.

Lmao. A moderator actually has to step in and then you roll with the above. Off-topic (again), absurd, baseless, character judgments (and child-like name-calling, to boot) on someone over a television they own.

Hilarious.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #68 of 68 Old 01-23-2013, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Enough