Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 194 Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You read it here first:

SEIKI 50" SE50UY04. Retail likely will be set at just under $2k. Should be in the country within several weeks.

SE50UY04_UHD.pdf 116k .pdf file

I'm assuming one, if not all, of the HDMI inputs are 1.4a. for 4k insertion.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SE50UY04_UHD.pdf (116.0 KB, 116 views)

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 194 Old 01-27-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Looks like Chinese LCD will rule Wal-mart which means there's no use in anyone else producing anything.

Now we can only pray that the Chinese will also produce OLED or get use to eternal LCD that...you fill in the blank!
Elix likes this.
post #3 of 194 Old 01-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_dilemma View Post

You read it here first:

SEIKI 50" SE50UY04. Retail likely will be set at just under $2k. Should be in the country within several weeks.

SE50UY04_UHD.pdf 116k .pdf file

I'm assuming one, if not all, of the HDMI inputs are 1.4a. for 4k insertion.

Nice find, but I can't imagine this FP, regardless of the price tag will appeal to many. I don't think anyone on here is jumping at the chance to own any products from Seiki.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #4 of 194 Old 01-27-2013, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Their warranty is full replacement in year one, so they will be the value leader right off the bat for 4K.

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
post #5 of 194 Old 01-27-2013, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
That's pretty much standard. They will probably fail at 13 months. wink.gif
post #6 of 194 Old 01-27-2013, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Their warranty is full replacement in year one, so they will be the value leader right off the bat for 4K.

That shouldn't be an unusual thing for a fix or replace policy under the mfct. warranty in the 1st year. Vizio is the only one I've heard of that does otherwise.

The Seiki is going to fall short not just because of the mediocre to poor reliability I can imagine those sets have but the mediocre to dreadful performance they have in terms of PQ. That's why I don't see people rushing to fork out 2K for a cheaply made Chinese LCD, regardless of resolution. Resolution is one small factor in terms of a display's performance. And the model that was listed above is only a 50" screen, so I'm guessing the future owners of these FP's are going to have sit about 3, maybe 5 feet away to make this not just another cheap LCD that they over paid for because the benefits of a higher res screen in a screen of that size is nearly, or entirely pointless.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

post #7 of 194 Old 01-27-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I'd take a chance at $1500 and use it as a computer monitor, but no way is a 50" 4K set becoming the center piece in anyones "home theater" room.
post #8 of 194 Old 01-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

I'd take a chance at $1500 and use it as a computer monitor, but no way is a 50" 4K set becoming the center piece in anyones "home theater" room.

To each his own, but $1500 sounds like a steep price for a cheap Chinese LCD computer monitor. I'm sure I could find a better way to spend $1500 on my AV/PC rack.

post #9 of 194 Old 01-28-2013, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 60
1. Suspecters & laughing-my-pants-off folks of Seiki pls read history books how people were laughing of Japanese, Taiwanese and Korean products mad.gif.
You may also wish to remember the CES 2013 as a historical milestone when the Chinese introduced products jumping over the competition.

2. 4K TVs of smaller sizes could make fantastic computer monitors if they are provided with proper 4K inputs. The question is how big sudesktop computer monitor may be practically. Of course any size will do with scaling of the viewing distance with the picture height. But if the viewing distance
is kept constant like for typical computer monitor then the limit is in the viewing angle (here bended display would be fine) and display height to certain extent.
Now the 32" computer monitor is obviously just fine, most likely the 36" too. But 40",42"....50" ????
tubetwister likes this.

irkuck
post #10 of 194 Old 01-28-2013, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

1. Suspecters & laughing-my-pants-off folks of Seiki pls read history books how people were laughing of Japanese, Taiwanese and Korean products mad.gif. You may also wish to remember the CES 2013 as a historical milestone when the Chinese introduced products jumping over the competition.

2. 4K TVs of smaller sizes could make fantastic computer monitors if they are provided with proper 4K inputs. The question is how big sudesktop computer monitor may be practically. Of course any size will do with scaling of the viewing distance with the picture height. But if the viewing distance
is kept constant like for typical computer monitor then the limit is in the viewing angle (here bended display would be fine) and display height to certain extent.
Now the 32" computer monitor is obviously just fine, most likely the 36" too. But 40",42"....50" ????

irkuck
post #11 of 194 Old 01-28-2013, 03:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:

1. Suspecters & laughing-my-pants-off folks of Seiki pls read history books how people were laughing of Japanese, Taiwanese and Korean products mad.gif.
You may also wish to remember the CES 2013 as a historical milestone when the Chinese introduced products jumping over the competition.

Agreed. With so many of the posts I read these days on AVS, I think we should just remove the 'S' and call the forum AV. Few seem to care much about the 'science'. We haven't even seen the product, but we already 'know' it's not reliable, puts out a horrific picture and the product will fail within 13 months.

With a background in the sciences, I'm taking the insane approach of actually seeing what the picture looks like and how the units hold up over time. I know, that's nuts.

The Chinese have made expensive optics not only affordable, but made some of it of a quality that gives the Japanese optics industry a run for its money. To underestimate what the Chinese are capable of (for good or for bad) is not very prudent.
tubetwister likes this.
post #12 of 194 Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
i work at a major retailer. We started selling Seiki sets as BF specials back in 2011. We associates fully expected massive numbers of returns as had been the case with previous off-brands like Element, Pro-Scan, etc. The wave of returns never materialized. It is, of course, too early to really evaluate long-term reliability and the lack of parts support etc. still means they're basically disposable tvs but that's the way some highly regarded brands started out.

As for pq it's basicallly impossible to critically analyze in our overlit showroom but what I've seen on Seikis is pretty competitive with entry level Samsungs, Pannys, etc.

If this 4k Seiki will do full resolution passive 3d it might be of interest to otherwise not-super-critical users buyers with price constraints.

Steve S.
post #13 of 194 Old 01-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Agreed. With so many of the posts I read these days on AVS, I think we should just remove the 'S' and call the forum AV. Few seem to care much about the 'science'. We haven't even seen the product, but we already 'know' it's not reliable, puts out a horrific picture and the product will fail within 13 months.

With a background in the sciences, I'm taking the insane approach of actually seeing what the picture looks like and how the units hold up over time. I know, that's nuts.

The Chinese have made expensive optics not only affordable, but made some of it of a quality that gives the Japanese optics industry a run for its money. To underestimate what the Chinese are capable of (for good or for bad) is not very prudent.

I guess I'm just basing my opinion off of previous track record for some companies. It's true that I haven't seen this model in question and it could be foolish of me to quickly dismiss the performance and reliability of it, but I'm a skeptic and thats just my opinion. I would love to be swayed and I'm hoping that I will be. It would be foolish to wish for the demise of a manufacturer if they're only bringing innovation to the AVS world.

post #14 of 194 Old 01-28-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozthatat View Post

I guess I'm just basing my opinion off of previous track record for some companies. It's true that I haven't seen this model in question and it could be foolish of me to quickly dismiss the performance and reliability of it, but I'm a skeptic and thats just my opinion. I would love to be swayed and I'm hoping that I will be. It would be foolish to wish for the demise of a manufacturer if they're only bringing innovation to the AVS world.

You simply do not notice the pace of change and thus underestimate Chiense. Not so long China was a sweat-shop of basic products then low quality copycat products. This year they suddenly are showing full range of 4K TVs which nobody is able to match. They are not so stupid to damage this technology leap with quality problems. Their pace is just amazing, about 3x faster than previous Asians, and thus instead of 10ys it takes them 3. Their plan is to be in the Tier-1 in 2015 and you are seeing now the first step being executed.

irkuck
post #15 of 194 Old 01-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You simply do not notice the pace of change and thus underestimate Chiense. Not so long China was a sweat-shop of basic products then low quality copycat products. This year they suddenly are showing full range of 4K TVs which nobody is able to match. They are not so stupid to damage this technology leap with quality problems. Their pace is just amazing, about 3x faster than previous Asians, and thus instead of 10ys it takes them 3. Their plan is to be in the Tier-1 in 2015 and you are seeing now the first step being executed.

I just acknowledged that I recognize the possibility of the future of quality backed products coming from companies like TCL, Hisense, Element, Seiki, etc. All I was stating with the above posts is that as of right now I'm looking for that extra push before I put all faith in some of these companies.

post #16 of 194 Old 01-28-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Eventually Chinese labor costs will go up--how much lower would Vietnamese labor costs be? Would North Korea have lower labor costs? What country would have the lowest labor costs on planet Earth?

If Bill Gates invested 10 billion dollars in that country could they produce low cost 4K sets. What if they had BOTH Apple and Microsoft's name on them? Would people buy them?

Will 4K sets ever have scents? Will SMELL-A-VISION ever become a reality?
post #17 of 194 Old 01-28-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Googling SEIKI, I see that the brand has been selling in Sears, Wallmart and Amazon for many years. Doesn't show up many complains.
Remember when LG was called Lucky Goldstar? wink.gif

So where does the SEIKI brand originate?
Impossible to get any definitive answers.
Some claims its owned by Sony, others claim Samsung, or that the HD panels are sourced from LG.

The 4K panels are probably from "China", but are they from Taiwan "China" or are they mainland China?

In the end it is not so important who makes the panels, but what the company that match it with processing hardware and software. That is the difference between a good TV and and a bad one.
post #18 of 194 Old 01-28-2013, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

4K set with a scent:
Apples iTV no doubt

post #19 of 194 Old 01-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

Googling SEIKI, I see that the brand has been selling in Sears, Wallmart and Amazon for many years. Doesn't show up many complains.
Remember when LG was called Lucky Goldstar? wink.gif

So where does the SEIKI brand originate?
Impossible to get any definitive answers.
Some claims its owned by Sony, others claim Samsung, or that the HD panels are sourced from LG.

The 4K panels are probably from "China", but are they from Taiwan "China" or are they mainland China?

In the end it is not so important who makes the panels, but what the company that match it with processing hardware and software. That is the difference between a good TV and and a bad one.

TongFang is the company who makes them. Located in northeast China.
http://www.tongfang-global.com

post #20 of 194 Old 01-28-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozthatat View Post

TongFang is the company who makes them. Located in northeast China.
http://www.tongfang-global.com
Thank you.
Seems to sourcing panels from BOE.
Capacity to manufacture 10mill TV a year.
Growing presences in Europe too, cooperating with Elements brand and will also have a major cooperation with a top Japanese brand in EU.
Aim to be one of the top 5 brands within 5 years.
post #21 of 194 Old 01-28-2013, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

If BOE means Body Odor Extra then maybe SMELL-O-VISON is a real possibility!
post #22 of 194 Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'd be interested in one of these with passive 3D
post #23 of 194 Old 01-29-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 190
The chinese currently make parts for just about every TV. I don't see how it makes a difference where the company whose name is on the TV has its corporate headquarters as they're all made from the same components from the same companies. The best part of the low price is it will force everyone to lower their price to be competitive.
post #24 of 194 Old 01-29-2013, 12:15 PM

Just pray that a 27" could be less than $1500 around end of this year.

Another thing I pray for is that a major chain retailer carry them. I noticed the bigger a chain is, the less reluctant they are at taking returns. Big ones like Walmart and Costco literally takes anything back. This is especially important for monitors. Unlike far-away TVs, we sit up close to monitors and can identify every single dead pixel, even if you don't want to. It's so common that these things have dead pixels, to the point that even my brand new $2000 rMBP have 3 dead pixels. Too bad that Apple's dead pixel policy is 5-10 something, pretty much the number that my laptop is no where near. If I bought it from Costco, I would have returned it the first day and got it replaced. Stores like future-shop (if you live in Canada) and other regional chains, are reluctant to take anything back. They're sensitive to loss of profit.
post #25 of 194 Old 01-30-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
What other screen sizes do they have up their sleeves? I hope their low prices do hasten others to lower their 4k prices. I'd like a larger than 65" screen 3D screen sooner than later.
post #26 of 194 Old 01-30-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Totally agree. But I also sense that this even being possible so soon (50" & price point) is 1. catching many folks by surprise, and 2. making me wonder just how much else is under the radar (fab-wise) and ready to pounce.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #27 of 194 Old 01-30-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

What other screen sizes do they have up their sleeves? I hope their low prices do hasten others to lower their 4k prices. I'd like a larger than 65" screen 3D screen sooner than later.

I have a feeling this announcement (again, the tech AND price point), is causing a lot of ".....uh....." reactions in the statistics and review sites. If this was predictable this early, it certainly didn't seem so (conversationally) here.

Note: I'm not blaming anyone, anything, or any reasoning....there's no cause to.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #28 of 194 Old 01-30-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

One further note, probably neither here nor there, but I found curious. For TCL at least, I noticed that the models for release in Asia looked dramatically slicker than the ones for release in the US. I'm wondering if there is such a concept for Seiki. Again, this is just a side note---probably means nothing.

post #29 of 194 Old 01-31-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

this is a fly by night operation trying to make a small fortune on the newest announcement. ya, its technically 4k, but everything else is likely a complete tragedy. im sure this thing will be solely focused on rednecks and hillbillies and those core demographic locations. and im a redneck, so that says alot.
post #30 of 194 Old 01-31-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whityfrd View Post

this is a fly by night operation

????????

Quote:
trying to make a small fortune on the newest announcement. ya, its technically 4k, but everything else is likely a complete tragedy. im sure this thing will be solely focused on rednecks and hillbillies and those core demographic locations. and im a redneck, so that says alot.

Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page