Samsung 40" HDTV stand issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-11-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interested in purchasing a Samsung 40" Smart HDTV, model number UN40ES6150F from Best Buy. BUT, the tv with stand is too tall for the existing cabinet I want it to fit into. By about 1" inch the tv and stand.

Looking at the non-Smart Samsung 40" HDTV with a different stand, that WILL fit the cabinet. Model number UN40EH5050F.

Calling Samsung they say the mounting bracket will not allow me to interchange the stands between TV's.....

I don't want to go throught the time, effort and money to redo the cabinet. It would be simplier to adjust, find, make a shorter stand for the tv I want.

Any suggestion of who to talk to? Can I make/adjust a stand? After market folks who have parts to do this?

thanks much.

tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-12-2013, 07:07 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 429
There is no aftermarket for parts to make your own stand, but it's easy to fabricate something that will enable you to place that TV into your cabinet opening.

I once made a counterweighted "sled" to enable a friend to place a 42" Plasma into his wife's beloved armoire, and position it so the screen was just behind the closed doors. It consisted of a large flat piece of hard wood as a base (cut a little smaller than the shelf in the armoire), a pair of heavy duty shelf brackets (like in the pic below) screwed down at near front edge the wood base pointing rearward, then i drilled and screwed two pieces of simple angle iron to the upright portion of those brackets with holes drilled to line up with the wall mounting holes on the back of the TV at just the right height so the bottom of the TV sits on the wood base and flush with the front edge of the base. With the TV attached to those uprights the whole TV/Sled assembly is of course very front-heavy so i finished the sled by strapping some garden bricks on the rear portion of the wood base as a counterweight to keep the TV/Sled assembly from tipping forward. After fully testing it on the floor we lifted the whole thing up and simply slid it into the upper shelf and it works perfectly.

Another option is to modify your cabinet and install a rear panel to attach a fixed or articulating wall mount then simply hang the TV on that within the opening. I've done that for a couple of friends over the years.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 10 Old 02-12-2013, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMpls View Post

Interested in purchasing a Samsung 40" Smart HDTV, model number UN40ES6150F from Best Buy. BUT, the tv with stand is too tall for the existing cabinet I want it to fit into. By about 1" inch the tv and stand.

Looking at the non-Smart Samsung 40" HDTV with a different stand, that WILL fit the cabinet. Model number UN40EH5050F.

Calling Samsung they say the mounting bracket will not allow me to interchange the stands between TV's.....

I don't want to go throught the time, effort and money to redo the cabinet. It would be simplier to adjust, find, make a shorter stand for the tv I want.

Before you attempt anything heroic like that sled mentioned above, look at these options and see how far down they allow you to get. These are aftermarket tabletop stand products that usually fit the 400mm x 400mm (or similar) mounting pattern on most tv's. See what they have: some of them look like they're precisely there to solve your problem! If you google image search on "tv stand table top" you'll see others, because these seem to be up there in price. But you get the idea.

http://www.theplasmacentre.com/blog/plasma-centre-news/table-top-stands-2/

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never
post #4 of 10 Old 02-15-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks much for your comments. Appreciate the insight.

Tom
post #5 of 10 Old 02-15-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks much for your comments. Appreciate the insight.

Tom

HTH!!!!! By the way, please check back with us and tell us what you did and how you think it came out! It'll certainly help someone!

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
post #6 of 10 Old 02-20-2013, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have this exact issue trying to put a Samsung 55 inch into a large nice furniture piece which I don't want to drill holes in. I am going to look into those table top ideas. Thanks!
post #7 of 10 Old 02-21-2013, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnerd01 View Post

I have this exact issue trying to put a Samsung 55 inch into a large nice furniture piece which I don't want to drill holes in. I am going to look into those table top ideas. Thanks!

Welcome! Again, please let us know how it works out too, good/bad/indifferent. Nothing quite so helpful as a thread with people reporting back with real-life results.

post #8 of 10 Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll report back. Putting the TV on the back burner until after we move, but I'll post when we set it up in a couple months.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-06-2013, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well,

Here I stand....sit... realizing the simple, "just buy a new stand" isn't in the cards.............

The solution, based on the stands I've looked at, ideas you kind folks shared, websites I perused, is.....

In the cabinet, there is a small base where the cable box fits under.. On top of that, screwed into it, is a heavey duty retractible, turning stand / base. The easiest way is to take out that wooden cable box base, cut the two sides down 1 1/2 inches, put it back and re-attach the heavy duty retractive stand. Gives about 1 1/2 inches around the top and two sides of the cabinet with TV in so the doors close.. If i want to turn the TV, I'll have to slide it out a bit from the cabinet and turn it. The sound bar will fit nicely below on the retractible stand.and base of the tv and of course, turns in the direction I turn the tv.

Hopefully that will keep the "six foot blonde" happy while the boys and I are downstairs watching Duck Commnader or some such new wave tv reality show.....

Again, thanks for all the ideas / help.

tom
post #10 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well,

Here I stand....sit... realizing the simple, "just buy a new stand" isn't in the cards.............

Why? Is it cost or measurements or...?

Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Samsung Un40es6150 40 Inch Class Led
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page