Articulating wall mount for 65'' VT50? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-20-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this has been beaten to death, but my Search Fu is weak and I wasn't able to locate much info on wall mounting a 65'' VT50 which both tilts and swivels.

I have 16'' on center studs, and need the tv to swing side to side as well as tilt. This is where I become nervous, as the leverage of such a large tv hanging out from the wall 6''-12'' or so, will make it pretty heavy on the mount.

What is the best mount for the dollar that meets these criteria?

Paul's tv recommends Promount's UA-PRO310 which of course isn't cheap (I know, how much is the TV worth...)

I have had decent luck with Sanus brand mounts, but only for tiny 21'' flat panel tvs.

I also see this at Monoprice, but the price almost seems too good to be true compared to the ~$250 mounts all the name brands sell for.

[URL=http://Monoprice large mount]http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=8587&seq=1&format=2
[/URL]

What would you guys go for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-20-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I've got this one: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=5087&seq=1&format=2 holding a 47" full array LED LCD in a corner with no wobble. Here's some pics: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1325725/mounting-lcd-tv-against-window-facing-outdoors/0_40#post_20241321
post #3 of 8 Old 02-20-2013, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i would use a sanus mount,more $$ but worth it imho, but what ever you choose,proper mounting is the key
post #4 of 8 Old 02-21-2013, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxman View Post

i would use a sanus mount,more $$ but worth it imho, but what ever you choose,proper mounting is the key

something like this you mean? http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-Classic-Full-Motion-32-Inch-63-Inch/dp/B004L2JQBW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1361506223&sr=8-3&keywords=sanus+full+motion+wall

If the quality is worth the extra $175 that is great, but I'd like to see the explanation as to why if anyone would be willing. Less sag, better design to take the weight, better materials used in construction? What?

As for mounting to the wall, I am an over-building addict, so I don't seem to have much trouble in that area. I'll probably use ledger board lag screws that they use for outdoor decks. They reach some pretty amazing strength ratings for what they are. May add a plate made out of 3/4'' plywood, but two studs should hold, this isn't the heaviest of tv's at 80 some pounds.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-22-2013, 06:39 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsg19 View Post

I have 16'' on center studs, and need the tv to swing side to side as well as tilt. This is where I become nervous, as the leverage of such a large tv hanging out from the wall 6''-12'' or so, will make it pretty heavy on the mount.
The limiting factor when using a good articulated wall mount at full extension won't be the integrity of the mount or even the lag bolts - it will be the wooden studs that the assembly is bolted to. My wall mount extends well over two feet at full extension and when i try to push the TV downward, the wall studs behind the plaster actually bend a little and i can hear the wall creaking. The arm is extremely rigid and doesn't bend at all, and the wall bracket doesn't budge either - the only thing giving is those wall studs. And this mount is bolted directly underneath a big picture window so the studs only extend 30" up from the floor before ending at the windowsill. On a floor-to-ceiling wall the studs would be much stronger than my short ones. Seriously, any decent articulated mount should be plenty strong enough to safely support a TV. And as long as you drill the correct size pilot holes, and get em centered in the stud, and you don''t over-tighten the lag bolts there is no danger of the TV falling off the wall. It just doesn't happen.

Here's a handy Lag Bolt Installation tip page:
http://www.mcfeelys.com/stainless-lag-bolts

That Sanus mount you linked above is very good, but i'm a little concerned that the TV mounting plate might not quite be wide enough to fit the 65VT50's 27" wide bolt pattern. It would depend on if those two uprights can be slid close enough to the ends of the rails, and looking at the diagram it looks like it will be very close and may or may not reach your TV's holes. This Sanus also has a fairly short arm so you wouldn't be able to turn that 59" wide TV 90 degrees to the wall if that was something you were hoping to be able to do (like turning the TV toward a kitchen etc). It's arm is way too short for that.

The Peerless PLA60 series Universal Mount (and the smaller PLA50 series) is excellent and the TV mounting plate is over an inch wider than the Sanus. It has a single pivot double-jointed 2-foot-long arm so it has a long reach (much longer than the Sanus) and is solid even when fully extended. I have the smaller PLA50 version and it had no problem supporting my previous 100+ LB TV even when fully extended. I measured the mounting plate on mine and it's a little over a few inches wider than the 65VT50's 27" wide bolt pattern so you'd be able to shift the 65VT50 a little over one inch to the left or right of center to fine tune it's centering. I presume the larger PLA60 uses this same horizontal plate.

Some of the less expensive mounts have weaker elbow joints and sometimes the arms will flex and the TV will sag but even then it's still adequately supported, just not quite in the position you left it in. But i never recommend such mounts.

The mounts with the double-opposing arms or double scissor arms have somewhat limited motion and usually don't extend as far or enable you to swing the TV as far to the sides. The PLA60/PLA50 however can swing the TV about 2 feet to the left or right then pushed back against the wall. The double-arm types can't do that since the arms bang together if you try to move the TV too far to the side.

The 65" VT50 weighs about 95 lbs (not 80) but even the smaller PLA50 would also work fine if you don't ever plan to turn the TV a full 90 degrees to the wall (it's arm is not long enough to accomplish this). The PLA60 extends the TV a few more inches from the wall but otherwise it's higher weight rating doesn't matter since the TV is well under both mounts' max ratings anyway.

One caveat - If you choose the PLA60 (or smaller PLA50 or any other brand or model for that matter), make sure it is the version that comes with the universal TV bracket (the horizontal TV plate with the 2 uprights that bolt to the back of the TV). Some somewhat unscrupulous retailers advertise a mount for a much lower price, but it's actually just the wall portion with the arm but no TV plate or upright brackets so people ended up getting just the wall mount but no TV bracket to attach to the TV. Then they have to either buy the plate and uprights separately, or return the mount and buy the right one. Be certain to verify you're getting everything regardless of what mount you buy.

http://www.peerless-av.com/en-us/professional/product_categories/Display_Mounts/Wall/Articulating_#http%3A%2F%2Fwww.peerless-av.com%2Fen-us%2Fprofessional%2Fproduct_categories%2FDisplay_Mounts%2FWall%2FArticulating_%2F10%2Fall|filter_screen_size_large|filter_screen_size_xlarge|filter_color_black

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GIYBUG/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Example of PLA60 but without the TV bracket:

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #6 of 8 Old 02-27-2013, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Randy, I'll go the PLA60 route I think, hopefully won't have to buy a tv mount ever again.

We will have this tv off center on the wall, so it will always be out from the wall and at an angle for proper viewing angle, so a good full motion mount is what I am needing.

I have a thing about things that don't seem solid, and therefore a mount that doesn't seem rigid and sags, will bother me to no end. Hopefully the new walls we just built will stand up to the test. 3'' deck screws were used in the studs to the top plate and sill plate. It will be tempting to span a piece of plywood across three studs and mount to that.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Peerless has a metal plate - WSP716 - that spans 3 16" on center studs. Sold for metal studs but really doesn't matter if you screw it to wood studs Peerless says. That is what I am going to use as my mount has to be centered on a stud and would look terrible if I off centered it to go to 2 studs.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-29-2013, 01:41 PM

I have a similar size - a 60" LG LED, and am looking for a mount as well. I like the superior tv mount, but a lot of the internet posts (not all) seem to be written by someone with a vested interest. I have been skulking around here a lot as a viewer, but I have some questions regarding a receiver and my existing speakers (came with the house), so I signed up today. My first priority is the mount, though.
Who has seen or knows someone who has the superior tv mount? (superiortvmount.com) It looks like it will fit and do what I want, so my main concern is that many of the reviews I've seen are older and seem biased. I know they are still around. I did exchange an email with them regarding a model choice.
Not sure if I should have made this a separate post, don't mean to hijack. Original post did not call out a brand, and this is a model that would work for what the poster wants.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page