Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #331 of 332 Old Today, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Nice review of the new SDK in case you missed it. It covers the chromatic aberration issue pretty well. It was a deal breaker for me playing with it at E3. Attached is an example of what I saw.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1407909173

Quote:
Chromatic Aberration
An optical problem, which unfortunately affects DK2, is "chromatic aberration". It is visible around the edges of things and objects where you can sometimes notice that red/green/blue are separated, especially when the contrast is high as well as in areas that are farther away from the center of the lens. You also often notice it with wide-angle cameras as you get farther away from the center of the image. If you adjust the lenses properly you can limit the problem.

However, I - and others - have noticed that the problem is non-existent in the configuration demonstration that comes bundled with the SDK (the desktop demo). So it is possible to solve in with software, and that makes me optimistic about eliminating the phenomenon.

The photo below is taken in Elite Dangerous. It’s not really an image of chromatic aberration, but rather what the software is doing to fix it. As you can see it separates the red, green and blue colors in opposite directions the farther you get to edge of the image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oculusriftdk-10l.jpg (170.5 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 332 Old Today, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Nice review of the new SDK in case you missed it. It covers the chromatic aberration issue pretty well. It was a deal breaker for me playing with it at E3. Attached is an example of what I saw.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1407909173
Software correction can help with chromatic aberration, but it's still not an ideal solution.

I wonder if it's something simple like them using polycarbonate lenses (awful quality) and that switching to CR-39 plastic lenses for the consumer version would greatly reduce the problem.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Oculus Rift Developers Kit

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page