Oculus Rift VR Headsets - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 329 Old 02-21-2013, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
barrelbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Here is the latest News on this very exciting new VR technology. I for one hope this is very successful. Especially in the HTPC gaming world.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/18/technology/oculus-rift-headset-aims-for-affordable-virtual-reality.html?pagewanted=1&pagewanted=all&_r=0

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/436683/20130219/oculus-rift-virtual-reality-gaming.htm

http://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/3274525/more-oculus-rift-supporting-games-expected-to-be-revealed-at-gdc-2013

http://www.telepresenceoptions.com/2013/02/eyes-on_with_the_oculus_rifts_/

http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/behind-the-scenes-of-the-pilot-run/
barrelbelly is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 329 Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
hoozthatat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I may seem like a downer here, but this doesn't even remotely pique my interest in the slightest. The headset seems much to cumbersome and overwhelming.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
hoozthatat is offline  
post #3 of 329 Old 02-22-2013, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
barrelbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozthatat View Post

I may seem like a downer here, but this doesn't even remotely pique my interest in the slightest. The headset seems much to cumbersome and overwhelming.

No problemo. That is your take on it. And many others will share it. But I stand on the opposite pole from you. My interest is 100% stoked. I would buy one of these before buying any new display technology discussed in this forum. If I was a kid...you wouldn't be able to keep one away from me at $300 to play my Nintendo, XBOX, PC, mobile, or PS on. I actually think this will have the same impact on mobile device video gaming that the Sony Walkman had on Cassettes & music during its day. Obviously people won't move around with it on. But they will sit and play on the visual equal of a 100"+ 3D display (as a lightweight...coooool goggle (with their headphones). IMO it will become a must have device with teens. If for no other reason...because a brilliant teen invented it. Shows how out of touch we oldsters are doesn't it?

The military already uses similar technology for extended periods of time in their VR simulations. They have completely solved the "Cumbersome & weight" issues. The fact that this kid solved all of those issues along with vision impaired solutions with essentially, off the shelf tech is astounding to me. The innovative American spirit at its finest, at work here! The inventor has already said that the consumer model, targeted for 2014 will be very lightweight and practically unnoticeable. And everyone who tested them...including Jimmy Fallon...raved about how the bulky prototype didn't appear to have any weight. Net...the cumbersome objection is a technical non starter. The "Overwhelming" objection is real and valid though. And many who reject this new Display approach will do so under that ground IMO. The experience and usage just may be too overwhelming for some. I suspect the Air Force reject Drone pilots who use similar tech on that exact same ground. Great point and excellent adversarial comment.

BTW: the final consumer version is targeted to include some of the new tech discussed in this forum...like HD and OLED.
barrelbelly is offline  
post #4 of 329 Old 02-22-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
taichi4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

No problemo. That is your take on it. And many others will share it. But I stand on the opposite pole from you. My interest is 100% stoked.

Even though science fiction scenarios show a potentially dark side to VR, which something like this is a first step towards, nevertheless it would seem hard to ignore something that opens us up to new experiences. I've always wanted to experience the VR rendering of Mars at one of the Aerospace centers. I'm very intrigued with these.
taichi4 is offline  
post #5 of 329 Old 02-22-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
barrelbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Even though science fiction scenarios show a potentially dark side to VR, which something like this is a first step towards, nevertheless it would seem hard to ignore something that opens us up to new experiences. I've always wanted to experience the VR rendering of Mars at one of the Aerospace centers. I'm very intrigued with these.

I'm with you on that one. I hadn't thought about it down that path. But any exploration simulations like Space could be mind blowing. Just think what remakes of PC classic games like Myst, Riven and "Where in the World is Carmen SanDiego" could be like with Oculus Rift. Think how more immersive it would be watching the excellent Rick Steve travel series on PBS this way. I am very excited about it.
barrelbelly is offline  
post #6 of 329 Old 02-22-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chronoptimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
With a high resolution OLED display and good optics, this starts to get interesting. As it is, it's a development platform right now that is a good first step, but we're years away from a good product.

High resolution 3D VR gaming is definitely going to be fun. I enjoyed the time I spent with Sony's HMZ-T1 hooked up to my gaming PC, but it had its own problems - the OLED displays were very low resolution and low contrast, the optics were terrible, the headset was very uncomfortable to wear.

I can't wait until someone gets it right.
Chronoptimist is offline  
post #7 of 329 Old 02-22-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
irkuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: cyberspace
Posts: 3,482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I am very sceptical this topic belongs to the Flat Panel General & New FP Tech thread.

irkuck
irkuck is offline  
post #8 of 329 Old 02-22-2013, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
barrelbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

I am very sceptical this topic belongs to the Flat Panel General & New FP Tech thread.

Well...it's flat panel general right now...and it will use new FP tech like OLED in the future. It's a completely new approach to VR display imagery that is unclassified by the US Government. You will be able to use it to view video content from a variety of devices. Not just games. So where would you put it? What are you skeptical about? It will purportedly give users the perception that they are viewing from within a 100"-150" HD surround, 3D Imaxx display on dual 5"-7" flat panel set of VR goggles . You can always just ignore it...and let people comment who like it, or become interested in it. It's not like this is using CRT, DLP or some other absurd technology for the application.eek.gif And discussing it sure isn't imposing any kind of hardship on anyone. I hope?!
barrelbelly is offline  
post #9 of 329 Old 02-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Member
 
grexeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The Oculus Rift is, without a doubt, the most exciting thing the gaming industry had seen since 3D accelerated graphics emerged.

For the TV industry? Not with the current spec. The screen is only 1280x800 and split between two eyes, meaning the effective resolution is an archaic 640x800 - not even meeting the horizontal resolution of SD let alone HD.

Watching movies and TV on a headset will only become a competitive proposition when a company delivers a headset with at least 1080p per eye, preferably higher considering the high field of view.
grexeo is offline  
post #10 of 329 Old 02-24-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
[Irishman]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozthatat View Post

I may seem like a downer here, but this doesn't even remotely pique my interest in the slightest. The headset seems much to cumbersome and overwhelming.

I've seen hands-on demos by tech writers and developers I trust - chief among them John Carmack, Chris Pirillo, and the writers over at the Verge (Josh Topolsky and Nilay Patel, primarily) - who say that it really takes immersion to a new and pleasant level. For the cost, it is leaps and bounds better than prior laggy, low-resolution headsets.

[Irishman] is offline  
post #11 of 329 Old 02-24-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chronoptimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

I've seen hands-on demos by tech writers and developers I trust - chief among them John Carmack, Chris Pirillo, and the writers over at the Verge (Josh Topolsky and Nilay Patel, primarily) - who say that it really takes immersion to a new and pleasant level. For the cost, it is leaps and bounds better than prior laggy, low-resolution headsets.
And if you listen to people like John Carmack, they will also say that the device is an early development kit, and not ready for consumers at all. It is very low resolution, especially when you take the FoV into account.
Chronoptimist is offline  
post #12 of 329 Old 02-24-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
[Irishman]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

And if you listen to people like John Carmack, they will also say that the device is an early development kit, and not ready for consumers at all. It is very low resolution, especially when you take the FoV into account.

You're right. It IS very early in its development. It is a kickstarter project, as well, and has captured imaginations to an amazing degree.

[Irishman] is offline  
post #13 of 329 Old 02-24-2013, 05:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Sequoia, CA
Posts: 30,089
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 439
The question is: Will there be enough interesting development before interest dies down and disappointment sets in? It's hard to know, but this is a long run, not well suited to the efforts of a Kickstarter project. I was actually hoping Sony was going to do something with PS4 and this tech... It would have been a very powerful and intriguing endorsement given the clear "return to gaming" focus of the PS4 announcement. And since the PS4 announcement was so generally boring in terms of technology, this would've been something... not boring.

But alas.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
rogo is offline  
post #14 of 329 Old 02-24-2013, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
vtms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It's easily the biggest thing happening this year in consumer electronics. I'd really love to get 1080p per eye OLED HMD (wearable IMAX) this year too.
vtms is offline  
post #15 of 329 Old 02-25-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
barrelbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

The question is: Will there be enough interesting development before interest dies down and disappointment sets in? It's hard to know, but this is a long run, not well suited to the efforts of a Kickstarter project. I was actually hoping Sony was going to do something with PS4 and this tech... It would have been a very powerful and intriguing endorsement given the clear "return to gaming" focus of the PS4 announcement. And since the PS4 announcement was so generally boring in terms of technology, this would've been something... not boring.

But alas.

Excellent points. Rogo: I do believe Sony is still looking at VR as a clear Next generation display and gaming pathway. I believe they deemphasized their internal VR efforts because Oculus Rift blew it away with a cheap prototype before they got it to market. IMO Sony will dissect OR with a fine tooth comb. Perfect it in areas that are mentioned here...especially resolution. And launch a better...higher tech version in 2014-2016. One that weds Crystal LED panels, 4k x 2k or at least 720p/eye. And marry it to PS4...Vita and their mobile video on the go market. I would not even be surprised to see Sony buy out the OR startup crowd. So as to lock this tech down with their platforms (Blu-Ray/movies, HD displays, HD photography, and games). They above all other tech companies are commited to delivering 3D VR. And the Rift is the clear front runner right now. Oculus Rift would be a great PS4/Blu-Ray accessory for them.

I don't think interest is going to die down at all. When they perfect it...I can see Sony or Oculus Rift doing something like this. At a future Academy Awards and Grammy Event...putting one in each seat. And wirelessly transmitting each video loop at the ceremonies through it. The audience will be mesmerized by them. The TV audience interest will be absolutely piqued! And every kid...in reality and heart, in America would storm the markets to possess one.
barrelbelly is offline  
post #16 of 329 Old 02-25-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chronoptimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

I don't think interest is going to die down at all. When they perfect it...I can see Sony or Oculus Rift doing something like this. At a future Academy Awards and Grammy Event...putting one in each seat. And wirelessly transmitting each video loop at the ceremonies through it. The audience will be mesmerized by them. The TV audience interest will be absolutely piqued! And every kid...in reality and heart, in America would storm the markets to possess one.
Never going to happen when they can simply project on a large screen and no-one has to put on an expensive bulky headset that could be easily damaged.
Chronoptimist is offline  
post #17 of 329 Old 02-25-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
barrelbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

Never going to happen when they can simply project on a large screen and no-one has to put on an expensive bulky headset that could be easily damaged.

You have to admit it would be cool though. I also think any consumer version of this concept will have to use Oleds or LCD panels no thicker than a credit card. And the bulk/weight issue must be completely resolved. But I don't see the "beautiful people" disturbing their finely coiffured hair that night for anything.biggrin.gif
barrelbelly is offline  
post #18 of 329 Old 02-25-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chronoptimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

You have to admit it would be cool though. I also think any consumer version of this concept will have to use Oleds or LCD panels no thicker than a credit card. And the bulk/weight issue must be completely resolved.
Well you still need to be able to completely block out external light, and fit in optics that let your eyes focus as if the screen were a long distance away, rather than sitting an inch off your face. I doubt they will ever get much smaller than the "ski goggles" design the Oculus rift is using. In that regard, it's quite a forward-thinking design compared to some HMDs, as it's taking off-the-shelf parts that are already designed to block out incoming light rather than redesign the wheel.

I might be interested in something like that if they perfect it and I can actually have the experience of a projector at home, without the problems that a projector brings (heat, noise, limited lamp life, can only be used in the dark) but so far nothing has filled me with confidence. The image I got through Sony's OLED headset was smaller than my current TV, and looked nothing like watching a projector from a distance.

But my interest in that sort of thing is the same reason why I also like to use headphones just as much as speakers. (if not more) I can shut out the world and enjoy a film or a game for a couple of hours and not be worrying about anything else going on.
I still want a large display and speakers for when people come over. We aren't all going to be sitting in a room with our headsets on, isolated together.
Chronoptimist is offline  
post #19 of 329 Old 03-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Member
 
lemansfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

Well you still need to be able to completely block out external light, and fit in optics that let your eyes focus as if the screen were a long distance away, rather than sitting an inch off your face. I doubt they will ever get much smaller than the "ski goggles" design the Oculus rift is using.

Thats like the guy in 1995 saying "why would they ever need to make a computer with more than 1 Gig of ram? Of course they will make them smaller, and lighter. They'll perfect them all the way down to a pair of oakley style sunglasses that completely black out ambient light. And when they perfect the glasses, someone else will come out with virtual reality that doesn't require glasses at all, its a neverending sequence of advancement. I'm not calling you naive here, don't get me wrong, I'm simply saying you need more imagination!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

my interest in that sort of thing is the same reason why I also like to use headphones just as much as speakers. (if not more) I can shut out the world and enjoy a film or a game for a couple of hours and not be worrying about anything else going on.
I still want a large display and speakers for when people come over. We aren't all going to be sitting in a room with our headsets on, isolated together.

Gamers would. Gamers would totally sit together on a couch with personal headsets on as long as they are all connected in the same game, because when you're playing a game you don't look at your frends while you're playing them. With virtual reality you could still see them as their avatar. This device is exciting, because its the beginning of the transition to artificial reality devices. Augmented reality is the reason we play games, to escape our world for a little while and enter another. This thing just takes that dream a step further. All the people who can't see past a future of projected images on a screen are in for a huge surprise in the next 5 years! I for one have never been more excited about another electronic device in my entire life. Ever since I was a kid I wanted to feel like I was IN the game, not just watching it on a wall. Now new technology with low latency image rendering processors and high resolution flexible OLED screens, cheap gyroscopes and accelerometers(brought to you by smartphones), as well as super advanced motion tracking cameras make it possible.
lemansfanatic is offline  
post #20 of 329 Old 03-26-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
barrelbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 231
The latest news on this compelling new technology:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/26/oculus-rift-hawken-demo-hands-on

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/26/4147702/hawken-oculus-rift

I was very pleased to read that the consumer version is planned to include 1080p. As far as the nausea and disorientation that some experienced...I think that will be a challenge for OR. Because not everyone is suited to experience fast action games, fast paced explosive events, or live simulations in a real time setting, or environment like this. In other words...some things may appear too real and outside the boundaries of reality of what one would actually do...that it could induce illness. But IMO that places the onus squarely on the shoulders of the content providers and users. Educate and know your limitations. Be responsible parents. Monitor your children's content. Etc...etc. Primarily in the gaming world. Game developers will have to bend theeir dev models to find the right mix of features to add, enhance, soften or subtract. If they all embrace this technology as it appears they are doing...I suspect devs will eventually add VR levels to games that weakly and/or substantially use OR. Sort of like adding Easy...Normal...Hard...and Insanity levels in games today. Like everything else that is new...there will be a learning curve on how much to spoon feed us.I actually think this technology will encourage a much needed development trend in gaming. And that is for slower paced...more visually intense...action games that are based on more RPG, problem solving and discovery mechanics.

In the areas of movie, slideshow photography (from mobile and other devices) documentaryand other viewing...I don't think very much adjustment is needed at all. There is a ton of content alreadyavailable in the marketplace that will be a blast to watch in this format. I think this technology actuallyhas the potential to turboboost the Blu-Ray and DVD movie markets. Think vacaitioning families in cars, airports and hotel rooms. IMO video games will give Oculus Rift its sizzle. But the other video applications will be its real steak.
rogo likes this.
barrelbelly is offline  
post #21 of 329 Old 03-29-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,070
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by grexeo View Post

The Oculus Rift is, without a doubt, the most exciting thing the gaming industry had seen since 3D accelerated graphics emerged.

For the TV industry? Not with the current spec. The screen is only 1280x800 and split between two eyes, meaning the effective resolution is an archaic 640x800 - not even meeting the horizontal resolution of SD let alone HD.

Watching movies and TV on a headset will only become a competitive proposition when a company delivers a headset with at least 1080p per eye, preferably higher considering the high field of view.

I don't see using an HMD to watch movies as a process of simply sitting there, so IMO, what you said is hardly true. I see it with the HMD positioning interaction. Just ask yourself: if you got a chance to "walk" around the world of Avatar at SD resolution, would you say, "Bah!....I'll wait until it's HD"?

I sure wouldn't. And I don't need to be a teenager to say that.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
tgm1024 is offline  
post #22 of 329 Old 04-15-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
barrelbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 231
+1...I agree with you. And here is more fuel for your fire from my post over on the HTPC thread.

http://www.slashgear.com/oculus-rift-finally-gets-the-reaction-virtual-reality-always-wanted-15277861/

http://www.geek.com/games/oculus-rift-takes-90-year-old-grandma-to-tuscany-1552068/

The potential for OR just keeps getting better and better for us gamers with this amazing device. I am totally amped up about it. I remain convinced that OR and 3D/VR will be the surprise player to emerge as the defining Next Generation gaming platform. And wish I could get a dev kit just to see it for myself...right now. I have not been as excited about a gaming development since the early years of Atari and Nintendo. Sony and XBox eveolved the gaming industry. But IMO the PC, Nintendo and Atari were the real change agents. OR could be the next great change agent.

This could not only revolutionize gaming...by putting us into the middle of the action. But it could revive whole other industries in very interesting ways. Take travel and leisure for example. I could see high impact travel destinations like Paris, Italy, Greece, Bahamas, Hawaii and etc creating stunning & amazing 3D, VR visual tours utilizing this device to persuade visitors to come in person. And I sure can see High resolution camera manufacturers selling & bundling their products with this device (@$399)...along with software packages to exploit that kind of usage. It can do the exact same for the Video music concert experience. Think Sting's Tuscany DVD concert on OR. Really exciting stuff.

But first and foremost...bring on the OR games! This is what I have wanted since I started gaming decades ago. To just lose myself in an AR game world like MYST, Mass Effect, Kingdom of Amalur, Half Life or Riven and Just explore it equally while playing it. I sure hope Valve make an OR/PC version of HL3 to help launch this amazing technology into the stratosphere and completely ignite HTPC gaming.
barrelbelly is offline  
post #23 of 329 Old 04-15-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,070
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

+1...I agree with you. And here is more fuel for your fire from my post over on the HTPC thread.

http://www.slashgear.com/oculus-rift-finally-gets-the-reaction-virtual-reality-always-wanted-15277861/

http://www.geek.com/games/oculus-rift-takes-90-year-old-grandma-to-tuscany-1552068/

The potential for OR just keeps getting better and better for us gamers with this amazing device. I am totally amped up about it. I remain convinced that OR and 3D/VR will be the surprise player to emerge as the defining Next Generation gaming platform. And wish I could get a dev kit just to see it for myself...right now. I have not been as excited about a gaming development since the early years of Atari and Nintendo. Sony and XBox eveolved the gaming industry. But IMO the PC, Nintendo and Atari were the real change agents. OR could be the next great change agent.

This could not only revolutionize gaming...by putting us into the middle of the action. But it could revive whole other industries in very interesting ways. Take travel and leisure for example. I could see high impact travel destinations like Paris, Italy, Greece, Bahamas, Hawaii and etc creating stunning & amazing 3D, VR visual tours utilizing this device to persuade visitors to come in person. And I sure can see High resolution camera manufacturers selling & bundling their products with this device (@$399)...along with software packages to exploit that kind of usage. It can do the exact same for the Video music concert experience. Think Sting's Tuscany DVD concert on OR. Really exciting stuff.

But first and foremost...bring on the OR games! This is what I have wanted since I started gaming decades ago. To just lose myself in an AR game world like MYST, Mass Effect, Kingdom of Amalur, Half Life or Riven and Just explore it equally while playing it. I sure hope Valve make an OR/PC version of HL3 to help launch this amazing technology into the stratosphere and completely ignite HTPC gaming.

What amazes me though is how narrow minded people can view this thing. It's as if despite all of the technological advancements and changes in how we experience things in the last 20 years there are still many among us outright determined to look at new horizons in terms of today. How is it that there become detractors, and thoughts such as "never for movies" actually enter their heads to start with (as if the term movie would be as it somehow always was)? The very first thought we technophiles should be thinking should be in what ways will things change, not geez, we're no where near anything being any good. I find it completely bizarre.

I mean, looking at the future possibilities using today's narrow metrics? C'mon people. Don't be afraid to wonder without fear of drinking Koolaid. There. Is. No. Koolaid.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
tgm1024 is offline  
post #24 of 329 Old 04-15-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
barrelbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

What amazes me though is how narrow minded people can view this thing. It's as if despite all of the technological advancements and changes in how we experience things in the last 20 years there are still many among us outright determined to look at new horizons in terms of today. How is it that there become detractors, and thoughts such as "never for movies" actually enter their heads to start with (as if the term movie would be as it somehow always was)? The very first thought we technophiles should be thinking should be in what ways will things change, not geez, we're no where near anything being any good. I find it completely bizarre.

I mean, looking at the future possibilities using today's narrow metrics? C'mon people. Don't be afraid to wonder without fear of drinking Koolaid. There. Is. No. Koolaid.

I get where you are coming from. It's sort of like if I viewed the world of technology in 1975-1980 from the perspective of a telephone, AT&T or a user of that day. At that time...I wouldn't imagine walking around with the equal of a telephone booth, TV, stereo, Polaroid camera, Arcade game machine and a full set of every book ever written, strapped on my back. But here we have it with much more in a simple Android phone or i-Phone today. Sometimes I guess its hard for even very smart people, like some of those on this forum...to view change outside of the context of today's news. Even though I think most of us actually do embrace change.
barrelbelly is offline  
post #25 of 329 Old 04-15-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
borf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've been wondering how it avoids eye strain though.
And if it's laggy I'd get sick.
borf is offline  
post #26 of 329 Old 04-15-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,070
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

What amazes me though is how narrow minded people can view this thing. It's as if despite all of the technological advancements and changes in how we experience things in the last 20 years there are still many among us outright determined to look at new horizons in terms of today. How is it that there become detractors, and thoughts such as "never for movies" actually enter their heads to start with (as if the term movie would be as it somehow always was)? The very first thought we technophiles should be thinking should be in what ways will things change, not geez, we're no where near anything being any good. I find it completely bizarre.

I mean, looking at the future possibilities using today's narrow metrics? C'mon people. Don't be afraid to wonder without fear of drinking Koolaid. There. Is. No. Koolaid.

I get where you are coming from. It's sort of like if I viewed the world of technology in 1975-1980 from the perspective of a telephone, AT&T or a user of that day. At that time...I wouldn't imagine walking around with the equal of a telephone booth, TV, stereo, Polaroid camera, Arcade game machine and a full set of every book ever written, strapped on my back. But here we have it with much more in a simple Android phone or i-Phone today. Sometimes I guess its hard for even very smart people, like some of those on this forum...to view change outside of the context of today's news. Even though I think most of us actually do embrace change.

It's not about intelligence. It's more in the realm of imagination. And Einstein was right.

There are many people who have been trained away from thinking from the box outwards and are essentially only comfortable starting with deciphering from the perimeter of a set of a issues and proceed inward.

I can't define such people, but there does seem to be at least one attribute about them that I do think is fairly common:

Such people usually view the world in two parts:
  • What they know
  • What they don't know ← and they seek this out

IME, the people able to remove the current set of assumptions and think in terms of what might be (free from such shackles) view the world in 3 parts:
  • What they know
  • What they don't know
  • What they don't even know they don't know ← and they seek this out

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
tgm1024 is offline  
post #27 of 329 Old 04-15-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,070
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by borf View Post

I've been wondering how it avoids eye strain though.
And if it's laggy I'd get sick.

It might make you borf.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
tgm1024 is offline  
post #28 of 329 Old 04-15-2013, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
barrelbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

It's not about intelligence. It's more in the realm of imagination. And Einstein was right.

There are many people who have been trained away from thinking from the box outwards and are essentially only comfortable starting with deciphering from the perimeter of a set of a issues and proceed inward.

I can't define such people, but there does seem to be at least one attribute about them that I do think is fairly common:

Such people usually view the world in two parts:
  • What they know
  • What they don't know ← and they seek this out

IME, the people able to remove the current set of assumptions and think in terms of what might be (free from such shackles) view the world in 3 parts:
  • What they know
  • What they don't know
  • What they don't even know they don't know ← and they seek this out

I'd only add this caveat to your list. A person has to have innate "curiosity" about all 3 to make the intuitive leap toward what their gut, instincts, analysis, or intelligence guide them before jumping into the void of interest in the unknown. Maybe those are some of the Psychographic instincts which led that amazing kid to create "The Rift" in the first place. Because looking at the tech he assembled, along with his approach & invention...He clearly freely borrowed from the past...while dabbling with current tech...while being firmly ensconced in the future with applications. Simply put...he imagined himself doing something different & amazing. Then assembled that vision with an eye toward continuosly improving it. I just absolutely love swashbuckling visionary risk taking like this kid personifies. IMO, it is the very best example of what we affectionately call the American Spirit. Good to see it alive and kicking. If he pulls it off...it will be the caffeine jolt several industries need right now. Especially gaming and video presentations of all types. Because right now both are only focused on giving us just prettier and more detailed versions of the exact same experiences we're bored with. If I'm reading him right..."The Kid" wants to take people inside their boredom or passion...flip the switch...and give us a tool to significantly change it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAC5SeNH8jw
barrelbelly is offline  
post #29 of 329 Old 04-15-2013, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
borf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

It might make you borf.

Ha, yes it's exciting really. Remembering the time I spent sitting for hours - it was not healthy, but that could be reversed someday doncha think.
borf is offline  
post #30 of 329 Old 06-13-2013, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
barrelbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,688
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Update:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2041464/eyes-on-oculus-rift-vr-headset-ramps-up-the-resolution.html

This is tremendously exciting. 1080p/60...4K x 2K...UltraHD capable....fully immersive360 degree 3D/VR imaging...perception of 100-200" views in a 4-6 ounce package. And all wrapped in a $399+ price package. Heck...I would easily pay $1000 for that. This thing has the potential to redefine the video marketplace IMO. By focussing it on experiences.
barrelbelly is offline  
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Oculus Rift Developers Kit

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off