What's the WORST flat panel TV you've seen lately? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 93 Old 02-22-2013, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 550
What TV comes to mind as the worst you've seen recently? Balancing everything, is there a TV so terrible that it's mere existence horrifies you?

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 Old 02-22-2013, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1000
Oh man, Arty's response should be a doozy (and I'll find myself agreeing with most of it)!
post #3 of 93 Old 02-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I recently saw the Phillips "55PFL3907/F7." The performance was laughable. I had to do a double take. Hands down the worst FP I've ever seen in terms of PQ. I was also wildly disappointed with LG LM6700, by far the absolute worst off axis viewing I've ever seen on an FP, and that couple with an awful pedestal and poor black levels make it one of the worst I've seen of 2012

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #4 of 93 Old 02-22-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Oh man, Arty's response should be a doozy (and I'll find myself agreeing with most of it)!

What's that going to be I wonder? "I once saw an LCD" ?

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
post #5 of 93 Old 02-22-2013, 04:51 PM

Liked: 20
Well, when I was looking to purchase a new TV the LG LM6700 looked good (enough for the money) on paper. However when I went to three different stores to look at one, the demo version was non-functional (read: broken) in each store. So, that didn't bode well.

Can't speak to the PQ, but if the thing won't even turn on, then by default the picture looks kind of bad.

Ended up getting a Plasma from a different manufacturer…
post #6 of 93 Old 02-22-2013, 06:15 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 429
The worst plasma i've seen in the last year is the Panasonic X5 series. Seriously bad.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #7 of 93 Old 02-22-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

The worst plasma i've seen in the last year is the Panasonic X5 series. Seriously bad.

Not what a couple of guys here wanted to hear Randy. wink.gif
post #8 of 93 Old 02-22-2013, 07:49 PM

I'm okay with that. Everything's been a bit of a letdown to me compared to a Kuro, truth be told.
post #9 of 93 Old 02-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Sharp Elite

Just can't get past the cyan color issue. Just horrendous ....

Rick

post #10 of 93 Old 02-22-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post

Sharp Elite

Rick

Wow rolleyes.gif

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #11 of 93 Old 02-22-2013, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Wow rolleyes.gif

smile.gif own and love the set.

post #12 of 93 Old 02-23-2013, 04:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sharp Elite

Hysterical! I plan to ditch mine for the same reason. smile.gif
post #13 of 93 Old 02-23-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

There are other sets that I have seen that are worse in over all PQ then the X5. However, that being said, Randy can't comment on all flat panels since he never watches LCD's. That would be blasphemy!

Ian biggrin.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #14 of 93 Old 02-23-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

There are other sets that I have seen that are worse in over all PQ then the X5. However, that being said, Randy can't comment on all flat panels since he never watches LCD's. That would be blasphemy!

Ian biggrin.gif

They used to say that about me too if you go back a couple of years. Things have changed and I've gone over to the 'bright side'.

Both great techs, each with its pros & cons. smile.gif
post #15 of 93 Old 02-23-2013, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Quote:

Sharp Elite

Hysterical! I plan to ditch mine for the same reason. smile.gif

Is that a rare, common, or totally universal thing for the Elite?

post #16 of 93 Old 02-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
If you stroll through the Elite Owner's Thread you'll see the issue mentioned sporadically. I think to say however that the issue is so prevalent it's completely worth discarding the Elite as one of the best FPs available today, is a tad too drastic, to say the least. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that Mr. Ross was being a little sarcastic. smile.gif

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #17 of 93 Old 02-23-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

They used to say that about me too if you go back a couple of years. Things have changed and I've gone over to the 'bright side'.

Both great techs, each with its pros & cons. smile.gif

I agree. I have a Plasma and an LCD.

Ian wink.gif

post #18 of 93 Old 02-23-2013, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoozthatat View Post

If you stroll through the Elite Owner's Thread you'll see the issue mentioned sporadically. I think to say however that the issue is so prevalent it's completely worth discarding the Elite as one of the best FPs available today, is a tad too drastic, to say the least. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that Mr. Ross was being a little sarcastic. smile.gif

Yeah, a little more than a bit sarcastic hooz. I still think the Elite is the one of the best, if not the best, 2K panels available today. smile.gif

I've said for a long time that the 'cyan issue' has been overplayed by some. It's always been interesting to me that the group that's been least bothered by this has been the group that lives with the 'issue', owners. wink.gif
post #19 of 93 Old 02-24-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I haven't seen any displays from the major manufactures that have jumped out at me because of terrible PQ. I installed a 55" LG this morning that's selling for $699 (Best Buy) and the picture was pretty good after a bit of tweaking. I don't know how much to attribute PQ to the actual screen being used but there are not that many screen manufactures world wide and I think they all probably make a pretty good product in 2012.
post #20 of 93 Old 02-24-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

I installed a 55" LG this morning that's selling for $699 (Best Buy) and the picture was pretty good after a bit of tweaking..

I think that's really the point. Many entry level sets often look poor when they are on display. It's amazing how much better my Panasonic C2 looks after tweaking. Choosing the correct picture mode which was cinema in my case, and taking the time to tune both the TV and it's source (ie: BD player, DVR, etc..) properly, is paramount when it comes to achieving the best picture quality.

Ian

post #21 of 93 Old 02-24-2013, 09:22 AM

A BD player that needs to be tuned to provide a good PQ is not a good BD player. wink.gif
post #22 of 93 Old 02-24-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

I installed a 55" LG this morning that's selling for $699 (Best Buy) and the picture was pretty good after a bit of tweaking..

I think that's really the point. Many entry level sets often look poor when they are on display. It's amazing how much better my Panasonic C2 looks after tweaking. Choosing the correct picture mode which was cinema in my case, and taking the time to tune both the TV and it's source (ie: BD player, DVR, etc..) properly, is paramount when it comes to achieving the best picture quality.

(?) Help educate me on this for a second, regarding "tuning the source".
  1. Blu-Ray is a source to destination digital device, no? It's job is to read, and push the bits out the cable. Assuming it is doing just that, then what is there to tune?
  2. Further, if I used a "badly tuned" Blu-ray player to run my calibration disk (say Disney WOW), then how can I trust the results, and how do I know where the problem lies, in the (source) player or the (destination) display?

post #23 of 93 Old 02-24-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Sharp Elite

Rick

Rick,

You must be a VT50 man. smile.gif

post #24 of 93 Old 02-24-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

1. Blu-Ray is a source to destination digital device, no? It's job is to read, and push the bits out the cable. Assuming it is doing just that, then what is there to tune?
  2. Further, if I used a "badly tuned" Blu-ray player to run my calibration disk (say Disney WOW), then how can I trust the results, and how do I know where the problem lies, in the (source) player or the (destination) display?

For the best results from your player make sure your resolution is set to either auto or 1080p and 24p output is set to on. This will send the native content of your BD's to your TV to do the processing. Some players also have video enhancement options like video clarity which is essentially an edge enhancement feature. Make sure they are off. I have found them to be useless and they can introduce artifacts like ringing. Your video mode should be set to normal for calibrating. Some players like my Panasonic also have a user or custom mode for setting the sharpness, brightness, color and even gamma, but in most cases defaulting to the normal or cinema mode works just fine.

Ian

post #25 of 93 Old 02-24-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Is that a rare, common, or totally universal thing for the Elite?

It's common enough. Detractors would say that it's too common in a TV for which you pay $7000 (the 70"). You can calibrate it out to a degree, and it usually only shows up when you're watching the Today Show. ; )

post #26 of 93 Old 02-24-2013, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 196
When I attempt to watch 60 HZ LCD it is so bad that I immediately have diarreha, go into convulsions, and vomit!

While I'm having a heart attack it is actually less nauseaus for me to watch a dog eating the vomit than to watch LCD!

The only scene here LCD excels is in the Candy Man movie where they are showing that bathroom in Chicago! You can almost smell the colors!

They say that LCD was actually around when Hitler was alive but he refused to let the SS use it for torture because he said that would be inhumane!

LCD is great at showing bright whites but then the Sharp Quattron also uses yellow and we all know not to eat that yellow snow where the Huskies go!

They say if you show LCD to someone in a casket then you'll have the night of the Living Dead!

I believe it is those zombie people that watch LCD and promote it to the death.

P.S. these are some of my charitable comments about LCD--I won't tell the truth about LCD picture quality because it is so bad that if I were to tell it it would be banned faster than Faces of death!
post #27 of 93 Old 02-24-2013, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

For the best results from your player make sure your resolution is set to either auto or 1080p and 24p output is set to on. This will send the native content of your BD's to your TV to do the processing. Some players also have video enhancement options like video clarity which is essentially an edge enhancement feature. Make sure they are off. I have found them to be useless and they can introduce artifacts like ringing. Your video mode should be set to normal for calibrating. Some players like my Panasonic also have a user or custom mode for setting the sharpness, brightness, color and even gamma, but in most cases defaulting to the normal or cinema mode works just fine.

Sure, this goes without saying IMO, because the best bet (with anything but a completely ineptly designed TV) is to keep the Blu-Ray out of the imaging business and leave that to the device responsible for pushing the light to your eyes. That said, what you suggest isn't the notion of "tuning", at least not when used in the same sentence as tuning your TV. I'm reading his usage of "tuning" as "calibrating".

post #28 of 93 Old 02-24-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sure, this goes without saying IMO, because the best bet (with anything but a completely ineptly designed TV) is to keep the Blu-Ray out of the imaging business and leave that to the device responsible for pushing the light to your eyes. That said, what you suggest isn't the notion of "tuning", at least not when used in the same sentence as tuning your TV. I'm reading his usage of "tuning" as "calibrating".

Just for clarification.

From Websters:
Quote:
Tuning: to make more precise, intense, or effective.

Calibration: to adjust precisely for a particular function

By using the adjustments most effectively on your player, you are doing the same thing.

Tuning, calibrating, it's all just semantics to an old English teacher like me.biggrin.gif However, I believe the word was tweaking, which is a bit more subtle when it comes to improving things. wink.gif

Ian

post #29 of 93 Old 02-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

When I attempt to watch 60 HZ LCD it is so bad that I immediately have diarreha, go into convulsions, and vomit!

I'm glad I don't have those symptoms. The Academy Awards looked kick-ass on my display tonight. Last night finally caught Skyfall. Unbelievable picture quality.

Sorry you are not feeling well. Perhaps get off the Plasma Koolaid mixed with Alabama tap water wink.gif

Rick

post #30 of 93 Old 02-24-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 83
The Panasonic TC-L32C5 I have. Cnet was right about this TV, but I got it for $150 so I can only complain so much. if I hadn't been so cheap I would've gotten a Sony 32EX340.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Philips 55pfl3907 F7 55 Inch120 Hz Lcd Iptv With Wi Fi Built In Pixel Precise Hd Engine Net Tv Apps , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm6700 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page