What's the best 40-42" screen for my situation? Details included... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-09-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am in the market for an upgrade to my tiny 32" 720 Westinghouse cheapie TV. What I did like about this TV was the size and the number of inputs, and it was easy on the wallet. Since then things have changed enough, that I would like to upgrade to a 42" flat screen (or a 40" if it's better quality).

What I am hoping for is the best quality picture I can get for under $1,000 that would be a good match with my system:
  • Internet: XBOX 360 games and movies (netflix, xbox video rentals)
  • Audio: Denon AVR-2106 (component video only, no HDMI) with Boston Accoustics VR1 speaker system
  • DVD/BLU Ray: Denon DBP-1610 (has an HDMI running to TV for DVD upconversion, usually just runs component)
  • Cable TV: Cox Internet/Cable (also connected via component)
  • Some glare in the room - arizona sunlight
  • Size: Maximum 42" width including bezel

Obviously I don't care about sound or internet functionality, just the best picture - and it has to have at least 1 component video and at least 1 HDMI.

With a $1,000 budget what's the best fit for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_C View Post

I am in the market for an upgrade to my tiny 32" 720 Westinghouse cheapie TV. What I did like about this TV was the size and the number of inputs, and it was easy on the wallet. Since then things have changed enough, that I would like to upgrade to a 42" flat screen (or a 40" if it's better quality).

What I am hoping for is the best quality picture I can get for under $1,000 that would be a good match with my system:
  • Internet: XBOX 360 games and movies (netflix, xbox video rentals)
  • Audio: Denon AVR-2106 (component video only, no HDMI) with Boston Accoustics VR1 speaker system
  • DVD/BLU Ray: Denon DBP-1610 (has an HDMI running to TV for DVD upconversion, usually just runs component)
  • Cable TV: Cox Internet/Cable (also connected via component)
  • Some glare in the room - arizona sunlight
  • Size: Maximum 42" width including bezel

Obviously I don't care about sound or internet functionality, just the best picture - and it has to have at least 1 component video and at least 1 HDMI.

With a $1,000 budget what's the best fit for me?

If you can control the lighting in some way, I'd look at new TC-P42S60 from Panasonic. I'd expect that to be another strong performer/value FP in 2013. It's a PDP w/ no AR filter so again you'll need to have some control over the room's light. However of the one's listed here, I'm going to assume it'll be the best performer. (This is assuming that it'll be on par, if not a step forward from this year's U50, which was a great value and performer given it's incredibly modest price.)

The 40EX645 from Sony is a pretty solid FP, it's an edge-lit LED/LCD, 120Hz, Smart functionality. From what I've seen the EX645 will hold up well in direct light and has strong performance for the price and size.

The 40EH6000 from Samsung is another one that derserves a look. It's a direct backlit LED/LCD which I've found gives the unit better uniformity, etc. over some traditional edge-lit's. Great value on this FP.

Of the 3 above, my first choice would be the S60 from Panasonic, but each FP has their strong suits. The only drawback I think you'll find with the S60 would be glare/light output issues. If you can't control the lighting environment, then it might not be the best option for you if you'll be having direct light on the screen.
(And as far as looking for an FP with one component and one HDMI, that's a standard today so you're fine on that end.)

Best of luck!
Cheers!

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #3 of 6 Old 03-10-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help.

What I learned pouring over specs is that the sweet spot on features/performance seems to be around 50". So I went to war last night with the wife - and made MANY concessions on expendable income items. The end result is I now have a budget of 1500.00 and I can go up to 50" - but I need to replace the stand with that budget too. The old 32" with a 40" wide stand is going to the guest room.

One item really jumping out at me now is the LG9700 for $719 at amazon. Another is a bit more pricey, but still in budget - the Panasonic ST50.

This is a room with windows however. I do want to avoid an edge lit LED even if it has local dimming.. If I get an LED it needs to be full array. Not easy at my price point.

Also this seems to be the ideal time to buy with 2012 models on clearance pricing!
post #4 of 6 Old 03-10-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

One other note - and I guess it does matter - I hate viewing our LCD TV at night without a lot of lights on - otherwise the screen is just putting out a ton of light, and my eyes see a halo around everything. And most TV viewing is unquestionably at night in our home. The windows in question are my north facing patio windows.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-10-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:

One other note - and I guess it does matter - I hate viewing our LCD TV at night without a lot of lights on - otherwise the screen is just putting out a ton of light, and my eyes see a halo around everything. And most TV viewing is unquestionably at night in our home. The windows in question are my north facing patio windows.

Have you ever though about reducing the brightness and contrast, or turning down the back light? I have an LCD in my bedroom and watch it at night without any lighting and it has never seem too bright, even when compared to my plasma.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #6 of 6 Old 03-10-2013, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

Thanks for the help.

What I learned pouring over specs is that the sweet spot on features/performance seems to be around 50". So I went to war last night with the wife - and made MANY concessions on expendable income items. The end result is I now have a budget of 1500.00 and I can go up to 50" - but I need to replace the stand with that budget too. The old 32" with a 40" wide stand is going to the guest room.

One item really jumping out at me now is the LG9700 for $719 at amazon. Another is a bit more pricey, but still in budget - the Panasonic ST50.

This is a room with windows however. I do want to avoid an edge lit LED even if it has local dimming.. If I get an LED it needs to be full array. Not easy at my price point.

Also this seems to be the ideal time to buy with 2012 models on clearance pricing!

At your price point full array isn't going to happen. The most inexpensive full array you'll find, if you can still snatch one up from an online vendor is the 46HX929, which sit right around $2100, used, on Amazon.

You can find some direct backlit FP's rather than edge lits in your price point, but I agree with Ian, reducing the backlit, brightness etc. will help improve those factors.

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Xbox 360 Games , Xbox 360 Console , Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page