2013 TV anti-glare offerings. What's the current state of affairs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-20-2013, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 563
*dazed and confused*. And I hate squinting.

In 2012 (I whimsically call this "The Year of the Mirror" under my breath), it was hard (or impossible) to tell what the facing glass had for reflectance / specular-reflectance issues from spec sheets.

And I'm not seeing any consistent metric showing up yet for comparing these things. Does it exist for the TV arena?

I read here and there that taking anti-glare out of the equation usually increases CR ratings, which was maybe driving this.

Back in October 2012, Sharp announced their first TVs using Moth-Eye. Seems truly impressive, and reminds me of Museum Glass---the uber expensive stuff for picture framing.

But what is impressing people other than Moth-Eye, and what's likely to show up inexpensively, if anything?

Well vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, was banned for silly reasons. And now vinnie_RIP is banned as well. The mark of an inexperienced moderator is to forget that their role is one of resource, not one of petulant authority and further that the members are doing the forum organization a favor by being here, not the other way around. They know darn well they screwed up here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-20-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Nothing soon and nothing inexpensive, alas.

And if the OLED prototypes are any indication, we're going to have TVs that are as glossy/mirror-like as the flagships from Samsung have been, which is to say "very".

Maybe next year....

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-09-2013, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 563
For anyone interested, I find the following wikipedia article to be one of the better write-ups on anti-reflective methods.

Here's the section on interference coatings.

This little bit of counter-intuitive wizardry actually caught my attention (for non-normal incidence causing a phase decrease):
Quote:
If the coated optic is used at non-normal incidence (that is, with light rays not perpendicular to the surface), the anti-reflection capabilities are degraded somewhat. This occurs because the phase accumulated in the layer relative to the phase of the light immediately reflected decreases as the angle increases from normal. This is counterintuitive, since the ray experiences a greater total phase shift in the layer than for normal incidence. This paradox is resolved by noting that the ray will exit the layer spatially offset from where it entered, and will interfere with reflections from incoming rays that had to travel further (thus accumulating more phase of their own) to arrive at the inteface. The net effect is that the relative phase is actually reduced, shifting the coating, such that the anti-reflection band of the coating tends to move to shorter wavelengths as the optic is tilted. Non-normal incidence angles also usually cause the reflection to be polarization dependent.

Keep in mind this is Wikipedia, but even without enough references the article reads well as a compilation IMO. There's a far too small section on Moths' eyes as well.

Well vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, was banned for silly reasons. And now vinnie_RIP is banned as well. The mark of an inexperienced moderator is to forget that their role is one of resource, not one of petulant authority and further that the members are doing the forum organization a favor by being here, not the other way around. They know darn well they screwed up here.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-09-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The least reflective (non reflective) is a CRT-RPTV with the protective screen removed. You can pick up a used one for cheap to hold you over. I'm still watching my 73" Mitsubishi.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page