Guys, turn down the "white glove" crap from Amazon - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: You have a similar reaction to white glove (or similarly phrased) delivery?
White glove delivery is a joke 1 33.33%
White glove delivery is a total joke 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 05-10-2013, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,811
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 549
EDIT:To be fair, 3 weeks after I wrote about this, I feel that Amazon did an exemplary job issuing a very painless return (for completely other reasons). It's very impressive to me.

Original Post:
I've been fuming over this for a couple days.

A couple completely grungy guys show up in a truck with several big items in it not all of them TVs, one trying to explain one thing to another guy who doesn't speak English, and he shows up with this grungy looking power drill, takes out the TV and then the stand out of the TV box like he's not sure what it is, and I said:

WHOA. *I'LL* take care of all that.

I didn't even want them opening the box, but they kept ignoring me and opened it anyway. I wanted them to leave the TV right in the box, and they pulled it out anyway. I had to basically get my scary as hell look in my eyes to get them to realize that No Way Jose were they doing anything else.

I would let these guys deliver cinder blocks. That's about it. Both my refrigerator and washer/dryer were not installed properly because of do-it-all guys like this---the fronts of them both are not right. And there's no way I'm going to have them figure out my new-model TV.

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never
tgm1024 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 05-10-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,145
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 244
So why not mention something to Amazon? Stories like this happen all of the time as well as stories of delivery people going above and beyond.
Ph8te is online now  
post #3 of 17 Old 05-10-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,811
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

So why not mention something to Amazon?

I did already.

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never
tgm1024 is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 05-10-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Sequoia, CA
Posts: 30,052
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 369
This poll is a total joke.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
rogo is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 05-10-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,811
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 549
LOL

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never
tgm1024 is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 05-10-2013, 04:12 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Amazon discontinued White Glove Delivery like 4 years ago. Did you actually buy the TV from a non-Amazon vendor via Amazon's site? I don't see an option for White Glove through Amazon.

Amazon has what they call Free Enhanced Delivery which does not include assembling the stand or setting up the TV in any way, although some drivers will assemble the stand even though it's outside Amazon's policy.

From Amazon's site:

"Most HDTVs 50 inches or larger sold by Amazon.com will be shipped via FREE Enhanced Delivery through one of our specialty shippers.

A representative of the carrier will deliver your TV to any room suitable for testing, unpack it, ensure that it is working properly to guarantee no damage occurred during transportation, and dispose of all packaging material. "

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 05-10-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 131
They do the same exact thing if you need to send the TV back. The company used was Pilot. They were very professional and new what they were doing. Unfortunately I had to send the TV back and they delivered the replacement and picked up the return TV 3 days later. Very nice experience.
andy sullivan is online now  
post #8 of 17 Old 05-10-2013, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,811
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Yes, it was sold by Amazon, not just through Amazon.

I don't care much for what it's called, but it *does* involve setting up the TV (including the stand) because they're asked to test it (as stated). They're not going to plug the thing in leaning against the speaker hoping the HDMI cable reaches. They were supposed to assemble it, put it on my AV stand, and connect it up.

Look, overreacting or not, either way I'm done venting, and if you want to trust them with your TV then have at it, and hey: good luck. Just use your own judgement at the moment like I did. I've been burned before by ignoring my better judgement of the jacks of all trades wielding a powerdrill and I wasn't going to do it again.

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never
tgm1024 is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 05-10-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 6,973
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 220
What tv did you buy?
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 05-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
Louquid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Why would you want someone else to set up your new TV? That's half the fun. lol.

I've had a similar situation dealing with a Best Buy TV delivery. I didn't pay anything extra to have it delivered or installed, but they tried to do it all for me. I had them put it on my stand and told them to leave me to my new toy.

Louquid is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 05-10-2013, 09:41 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Yes, it was sold by Amazon, not just through Amazon.

I don't care much for what it's called, but it *does* involve setting up the TV (including the stand) because they're asked to test it (as stated). They're not going to plug the thing in leaning against the speaker hoping the HDMI cable reaches. They were supposed to assemble it, put it on my AV stand, and connect it up.

I don't know why you think they're supposed to assemble the stand and set up the TV, but trust me this is not the case with their free Enhanced Delivery service. Assembly and/or setup is not stated anywhere in their delivery policy. All the driver(s) is required to do is unpack the TV enough to plug the power cord in (even if it means leaning it against a sofa or table etc but they usually just leave it in the lower carton), then they'll put the batteries in the remote, power the TV up and bring up a menu to make sure the TV works and is not damaged. They're not required to do any more than that although some drivers will help you assemble the stand and lift the TV onto the table. One guy even had a paper that he was to show to customers stating that they are not to set up the TV, just test it to make sure it works.

Amazon hasn't provided assembly or setup since they discontinued White Glove about 4 years ago when they replaced with with the lesser "Enhanced Delivery". When we used to get TVs from them via White Glove back in the day the drivers did assemble the stand, installed it on the TV, and set the TV up on your TV stand or Credenza etc. They also connected up to two components (like a DVD player and cable box) and they took a few minutes to walk you through the menus and test the inputs to make sure you can see your components on screen. They would even lift your old TV off the table before placing the new one in it's place. Then you filled out a checklist verifying the various steps that were taken. I've been involved in over a half dozen White Glove deliveries from them on older installs including one of my own TVs. My guys even carried my old TV into a bedroom and hefted it up onto the dresser for me. However that good old fashioned service is long gone, and ever since then it's just been Enhanced. But like i said, a few times with Enhanced the driver did offer to assemble the stand and help lower the TV onto it before plugging it in even though it wasn't part of the deal. Some will even lift it onto your table even though they're not required to do so.

If you don't believe me, call CEVA, Call Pilot, and call Amazon and ask them. But i've been down this road with them several times (i always try to be there when my friends and family and customers get their TVs delivered).

Quote:
Look, overreacting or not, either way I'm done venting, and if you want to trust them with your TV then have at it, and hey: good luck. Just use your own judgement at the moment like I did. I've been burned before by ignoring my better judgement of the jacks of all trades wielding a powerdrill and I wasn't going to do it again.

I don't blame you one bit for not wanting them to use a power driver on your TV, but you're getting all mad at the drivers for not assembling your TV when in fact that is not part of their job and hasn't been for several years.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 05-11-2013, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,811
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I don't blame you one bit for not wanting them to use a power driver on your TV,

...and that's where the conversation (should) end.

Quote:
but you're getting all mad at the drivers for not assembling your TV when in fact that is not part of their job and hasn't been for several years.

Sigh. No. Let's be clear.

I don't want anyone assembling it, and especially not a couple drivers who deal with a variety of products---and might or might not know what a torque limiter is, and especially on a TV that so few people have even seen. And it's worse than that as well. I told them to leave it on the porch, they proceeded inside anyway. I told them I'll take care of opening the box, they opened it anyway. After I inspected the screen I told them to leave it there, and they pulled it out and carried it to the family room.

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never
tgm1024 is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 05-13-2013, 09:38 PM
Member
 
mondo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Are you sure they knew sign language?
mondo3 is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 06-01-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
tgm1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,811
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I don't blame you one bit for not wanting them to use a power driver on your TV, but you're getting all mad at the drivers for not assembling your TV when in fact that is not part of their job and hasn't been for several years.

Updating....

Well, besides the fact that I'm not in any way mad at them for not assembling the TV because I don't WANT them to assemble the TV regardless of who they are, for the record for anyone reading through this confused of what is what, you're wrong.

I've verified this with Amazon in a phone call just 30 minutes ago. Even with the watered down enhanced delivery (and she made the distinctions between it and the old "white glove"), the rep told me that Amazon absolutely tells the carrier to put the stand on the TV to facilitate the quick "power on blue-screen test" (as she put it). She said they are not to connect any wires or do any configuration or connective testing, but part of the process is definitely to get the TV on a stand. She said that's why at delivery they wanted to make sure that I waved the stand assembly in writing (which I did).

She put me further at ease saying in no way was I wrong in refusing someone with a power drill. I had a very very painless return experience with Amazon for other issues. The rep even volunteered things without me asking for it.
Muad Dib likes this.

Well Vinnie97, one of the kindest and most helpful and respected members here, got one of these. I wonder how much longer before I get such a message...
You have been banned for the following reason: No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never
tgm1024 is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 09-25-2013, 07:59 AM
Member
 
DtroitPunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Innsmouth (look it up)
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I will chime in here too! We bought a Panasonic TC-P50S60 from Amazon and the first time it was delivered by ONE guy from CEVA and the box had noticeable damage.

I had to help him bring it in my house. He said he could handle it but come on, the box was ALREADY damaged and I didn't want him bouncing it off door frames etc. We open the box and the foam corner packers were CRACKED almost all the way through! It LITERALLY looked like the TV had done at least one drop or sideways flip! HE takes the TV out anyway and starts putting together the base and we find the screen is HORRIBLY cracked I mean almost shattered! So then I had to help him pack it up and carry it back out and wait for another TV.

Second delivery was MUCH more professional by J.B. Hunt. The called ahead of time arrived on time introduced themselves, were very respectful and the TWO guys brought it in and I helped get the base ready and they set it where I wanted and waited for me to power it on and approve before signing! WHAT a difference!

Enhanced delivery DOES include mounting the TV to stand and powering it up to test functionality including looking for cracks and dead pixels.

Someone who truly loves others speaks the truth, not just what they want to hear.
DtroitPunk is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 01-06-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
yellowcanary73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: McKinney,Texas
Posts: 2,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Here's hoping they really deliver the VT65 tomorrow Amazon used Ceva which says on website delivery tomorrow but when I called first they told me it was still in Columbus Ohio so I asked does this mean another 3 or 4 days the lady said no its only a one day trip. I went on to tell her that it shipped on Jan 2 thats a total of 5 days if delivered tomorrow then she real quickly told me it should arrive in Dallas at 2am and will be delivered tomorrow. Also suppose to be White Glove I've read that a lot of times Ceva has shown up with only one person which will not work for me I'm a double amputee. Anyone else have problems from Ceva
yellowcanary73 is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 01-10-2014, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
Solfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Skylands N.J. & Hawaii Kai
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

No Way Jose were they doing anything else.
 

 

And then he said, "How did you know my name?". :D

Solfan is offline  
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off